Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:31:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Magnetic Conduction for Cables (Read 4985 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Magnetic Conduction for Cables
11/16/14 at 20:31:43

Hi, I never read about High Fidelity Cables before.  There's an interesting video about their technology on that link (a few minutes, but worth watching).

Anybody heard or test driven any of their cables before?

IP Logged
Brett

Re: Magnetic Conduction for Cables
Reply #1 - 11/17/14 at 18:25:31

Never heard these but I have to say even for someone with a rudimentary understanding of the way audio systems function, I am repulsed by the simplistic notions being pushed here such as the statement, "your music system is one big magnet". No, it isn't.

There's so many nonsensical statements made to sound profound and groundbreaking. Watching this video, I was waiting for a glimmer of substance that could explain what this technology was actually doing. Well, there is not much substance here.

"The electrical system bears the burden of having to create it's own weak electromagnetic wave" That's like saying mass bears the burden of having to create gravity.

Analog and digital signals are not intended to transmit magnetic properties; magnetic properties are simply a byproduct of the transmission of electrons with varying amplitude.

It's the changes in amplitude that the signal intends to convey. Magnetics can actually hamper the signals ability to transmit varying amplitude.

The usual goal with cables is to leave the magnet field alone since disturbing them can have an effect on the signal.

I have to say the video is pretty slick. Really nice graphics and video and the narration is top notch. But the ideas it's presenting are down right insulting and clearly intended for audiophiles who don't necessarily understand how their gear works on a technical level. It is truly preying on the uninformed.

Now maybe they are good sounding cables, but at those prices I'll never know.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/highfidelity/1.html

Oh 6 Moons. Roll Eyes

The technical definition of "Electromagnetic Conduction" is: A process where a conductor placed in a changing magnetic field (AC) causes the generation of a voltage across the conductor.

The above usually applies to transformers where a substantial magnetic field is generated and since the wire is wrapped around the field several times, it can have a substantial effect. A cable on the other hand would not be influenced by a magnetic field by such a degree unless the magnet field was very strong.

The cable claims to use "Magnetic Conduction" as a method for signal transfer. It seems that they are either altering the signal by effecting it's magnetic field or converting the electrical signal into a field and then back to an electrical signal. Either way to me this added complexity seems to go against the principle of high fidelity.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 11/17/14 at 18:43:11

Brett gets a gold star for today!

I saw the videos and thought the same thing. Really good at getting you excited, but it's all fluff and no filling.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 11/30/14 at 18:37:39

Regardless of the content of the ad, I have to say that the marketing technique is impressive. Having no real experience with anything like these cables, I cannot value either way what they may do with the music signal. In the larger picture, magnetism and electricity itself have been sold to the public for all kinds of solutions, medically or otherwise. Unfortunately, most of the time it turns out to be hype. I really wish it weren't so, since both magnetics and electricity entice me.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/01/14 at 02:01:02

I find them interesting, but way too expensive for my limited budget.  It would be fun to demo though.  I have read a review recently that they seemed a bit "bright" for the reviewer's system though.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 12/01/14 at 03:58:05

I have rewritten this reply three times now. I am trying to find a way to say that some of these products are great, price and all. Then there are the more obvious products out there that are just insulting. Thing is, they sell. Thirdly, are the products somewhere in between. In the end, I have tried to stay to the 'simpler is better' path. May not always apply, but it is where I ended up after retirement.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print