Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:14:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo mkii, what cans? (Read 8432 times)
LocalGuy
Verified Member

Taboo mkii, what cans?
10/11/14 at 14:35:12

Hello all.  I've been fantasizing about pulling the trigger on a Taboo and planar headphone setup for the better part of a year.  I have a small horde of children so headphones seem to work best for serious listening in my home.  Currently very happy with my CSP2+ and Sennheiser HD650's, however, like so many HiFi enthusiasts I'm still chasing the dragon.

Not having heard many of the planar cans out there, I'm curious, what headphones are you running with your mkiii's?  Anyone auditioned both the Audeze's and the HiFiMAN's, others?  Let me know.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Taboo mkii, what cans?
Reply #1 - 10/11/14 at 16:00:33

My two cents? Why not keep the CSP2 and try headphones out first. . . and maybe save to upgrade your source? I have found that each of the Decware amps are amazing when paired with just the right sort of speaker/headphone (it seems the paralel would be the same though I don't listen to phones) and the real payoff once you find the right match for the amp is the best possible source. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/11/14 at 18:08:56

Local Guy,  I began my Decware Journey last year with a Taboo MK III and a pair of Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones. For a long time I didn't have functioning speakers so I became very familiar with this combo.  Later I added a lot more gear and three sets of speakers. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 800's that I find play best with my CSP-3...they are not my favorites...a bit too bright for my tastes.

I haven't listened to headphones for a longtime but plan to this Winter.  I haven't listened to the hifiman headphones but really like the Audeze cans...detailed and warm.  I added an aftermarket balanced cable from toxic cables, Silver Widows, that ran close to $500 but the standard cable works fine also.  You can't go wrong with any of the Audeze cans in my opinion. Read the reviews and the head-fi fourms (http://www.head-fi.org/) have tons of info and oppinons on Audeze cans, the Decware Taboo MK III and Toxic cables. Hope this helps,  Mark.

PS...at head-fi I'm sure you'll find someone with both headphones you're considering.  As I recall, there is one guy who has posted reviews of many, maybe 50 pairs of Cans.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
LocalGuy
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/15/14 at 15:46:27

Thanks Lon,

Probably sage advice to try some different headphones with the CSP2+.  Seems like Steve had a similar suggestion during a brief conversation at this years Decfest.  I've been listening to the CSP2+ and HD650 setup for the better part of 2 years while making a series of turntable upgrades.  Through each upgrade (cartridge, bearing, platter, sub-platter, tonearm) the CSP2+ and Decware phono stage have certainly revealed additional depth to the recordings, fun stuff.  I admit I was blown away at this years Decfest listening to the analog tapes but I fear that this extension of the hobby places quality recordings (that I enjoy) at arms length.  Not quite ready to go there...yet.  The majority of my time is spent sorting LP's where the recording quality justifies retaining the album.  I've been very disappointed lately with poor recordings making their way to new LP's...

Honestly, the addition of the wrinkle black finish and ammeters on the mk_iii are just darn sexy.  Also intrigued by 'hazen' mode.  Some posts I have seen on this forum suggest a nice soundstage effect.

Been going through reviews on head-fi.org..

Thanks all.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/15/14 at 16:07:34

I can't go the analog tape route either. I realized years ago the wonderful fidelity contained therein, but there are so few recordings of any budget price that I want to listen to that I fear I would find myself listening to the same things over and over the very antithesis of the type of listener I am or want to be. I'm in this for the music, as best as it can sound but not obsessively so, and I find this with the very best digital playback and with lps even more so. The ZP3 is one of Steve's very best products.

The meter thing just has never ever interested me at all, waste of real estate and money to me. And the black finish is nice. . . but where my amps sit I see the walnut case and the tubes and not the amp top so doesn't matter! Smiley I personally guess that just the right headphone for the CSP2 would make wonderful sounds, just as just the right headphone for the other amps would. . . to me all Decware paired with the right output devices can yield bliss with characteristic differences. I know if I were to explore headphone use again (unlikely but hey I never say never nowadays) I'd certainly try to match one to a CSP2+. . . I have three of them. I would suggest, if you haven't, having the Jupiter caps put in. Wow!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/15/14 at 20:32:35

Right now I am running the Fostex Thunderpants Headphones. These are based on the Fostex T50RP which are orthodynamic headphones but modified with wooden cups and stuff. These combined with the Taboo MKIII are amazing. If I was you I would get this amp and run it with your HD650s.
With the high/low option, this amp will be good to go for any type of headphone you put on it in the future. See how you like the 650s on it first and later you can always try out the planar headphones to see if you like them more. But get the amp, it is that good.

IP Logged
LocalGuy
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/22/14 at 15:38:22

Deucekazoo,

I've been looking into these Fostex RP50's and I'm very intregued.  Seems like a good way to check out orthos and do some tinkering without breaking the bank.  Did you build your own cups and damping?

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/22/14 at 19:23:31

LocalGuy,
No I did not. I bought them from a person that modified them a few years back. It seems that he does not make them anymore. He use to have a website but that is gone now. You can find a lot of info at head-fi about these and how to modify them. Also there is info on other companies that modify them if you don't feel like doing that yourself. Alpha dogs is one and Mayflower is another company.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants

They are 50 ohm so you need a good amp to run them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print