Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:32:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
To improve sound quality of Amp by modification? (Read 2856 times)
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

To improve sound quality of Amp by modification?
09/17/14 at 05:05:18

Hi All,

I have started topic in ZMA of Ways to improve sound quality of the Mystery Amp!. I did mod ZMA in step by step and report the results of sound quality changing. I think that these information is benefit for mod of other pre-amp ,amp, etc also. Then I would like to provide link here. It will be exposed to more readers here rather than just posted in ZMA forum.  If you are interested then you can follow below link.  

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1409130590

photo_4_003.JPG

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Re: To improve sound quality of your Amp by mod?
Reply #1 - 09/17/14 at 06:21:01

Hi Vyokyong,

I have been following your posts with great interest.
Thanks for taking the trouble to post those instructions with pictures.

I'm not a "solder slinger" aka tinkerer like you so I can only enjoy reading about your adventures from the sidelines.

However, I don't mind tube rolling to improve my Decware amps ( Torii mk4, CSP3 & CSP2+) though.

Cheers! Smiley

IP Logged
vyokyong
Seasoned Member

Re: To improve sound quality of Amp by modification?
Reply #2 - 09/18/14 at 03:39:19

Hi Lord Soth,

Thanks for your cheering. I want to contribute back because I learn a lot from people posting in forum also. It helps us to achieve to our Audiophile goal faster and more money saving.

Yes, I previously though as you. I did tube rolling first.

tube rolling for ZMA. Yes, I have done with Siemens E88CC ($370 for quad), RCA 6L6GC ($380 for quad) and RCA JAN OA3 ($18 for pair).

The sound quality of ZMA with stock tubes is unquestionably superb
. But I need more in lush midrange female vocal, sparkle treble and powerful bass or bass slam.

My first plan is to burn in ZMA with stock tubes for >300 hrs first to know the sound. Then do tube rolling step by step to observe sound quality changing. But ZMA with stock tube's sound is so good that I imagine what if I put Siemens E88CC tubes in, how much is the sound improvement?  
I cannot wait, I change plan to put in Siemens E88CC tubes first 3 days ago. Midrange sound is more lush, both high end and low end extend more, more holograph sound stage. But speed is slower than stock tube.  The fun or PRAT is reduce a little. But overall sound improvement is very satisfy. I replace KT66 with RCA 6L6GC next day. There is more dense sound and more bass. Now speed come back, PRAT is same as stock tube now. But bass is little boated, not well control. Then I put in RCA JAN OA3.
OMG, it is the last jigsaw. RCA JAN OA3 make over all sound dense, coherent and PUNCH SLAM bass!  Boated bass disappear and very well control now.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1365130519/975

However after I have experience of Amp Modification. I would say that tube rolling is like fine tuning tonality of sound. And NOS tubes make more delicate sound than current production tubes. But Amp modification affects to DNA of Amp. It is high risk, but the reward is very high also. It can transform your amp to be superb Amp, if it is done successfully. Save a huge money not to buy big brand name!

Audio Note DAC3.1 Custom modded to 4.1, DIY Duelund wire RCA IC, Offramp 5 USB SPDIF converter, Mac Mini, Amarra Symphony player,
Zen Mystery Amp. MIT Oracle speaker wire, Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. Coincident Statement preamp, Martin Logan Depth subwoofer
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print