Send Topic Print
~Subs~ (Read 11621 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

~Subs~
09/16/14 at 18:07:17

I am considering having Crutchfield dump a JL Audio e110 in my lap for 60 days. I could live without one in the Listening Room. However, I will attend the ASM meeting next month Tuesday, October 21st. Not posted yet...because tonight's meeting takes place. https://www.facebook.com/audiosocietyofmn

Stereophile, has the October 21st meeting posted in the current issue on page 19.

Next months meeting demonstrates: different subwoofer types, their applications, and how room acoustics can affect bass response. Will include demonstrations of several subwoofer types in combination with speaker systems, and show the critical nature of proper placement and integration.  

Yeah, I know, it is not my first rodeo either. However, always something to be learned or readdressed. I like the fact (maybe) the e110 is more musical and I look for clues such as: "JL Audio in fact markets the E series as geared towards near field monitoring or mixing applications and I even utilized them for a bit of that. Once I got used to the e110 I could easily monitor with it in the system and make judgments about how the bass mix and individual tracks were sitting".
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/e-sub-e110-e112/listening-session

Thoughts? Your sub Listening Room Set up? Love them...hate them?
Anyone have the JL e110 in?

PS-DBC has a great thread "Adding weight & body", in General Discussion here (99 posts an counting=a must read). I own an HSU MBM 12"....love it in my Rig downstairs.
However, I'm in a smaller Room (for my Listening Room)...the e110 intrigues me.

I will try both the inputs: Line level out of my CSP3 mono an speaker level hookup from the ZMA.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60 (.5 meter)
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.75 meter)
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA (.5 meter)
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers (in Stereo)
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
All four units plugged into Adcom AC-Enhancer 515

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: ~Subs~
Reply #1 - 09/16/14 at 19:48:29

To me, placement is 90% of the trick. The Last 10% is - 5% for gear, and 5% for crossover/tuning.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/14 at 20:05:23

Quote By stone_of_tone:

Quote:
PS-DBC has a great thread "Adding weight & body", in General Discussion here (99 posts an counting=a must read). I own an HSU MBM 12"....love it in my Rig downstairs.
However, I'm in a smaller Room (for my Listening Room)...the e110 intrigues me.

Hey Stone,

I know you mentioned some time ago you thought the Mid Bass Module overwhelmed your smaller listening room? What are the approximate dimensions of that room?

A couple thoughts:

I used the MBM's for a year before I realized I had a low level ground loop (very faint 60hz Hum from the MBM). This would tend to make the Mid Bass Boomy if I turned the MBM volume knob up past 10 O'clock. Noticed the Boomy effect most on music which had a good bit of Bass in the 60hz region. Add the 60hz hum on top of that and the result is similar to a room induced peak in the 60hz region (Boomy). This effect may be more noticeable in a smaller room?

The MBM has a 2-prong power cord (no Earth Ground) and this can creat a ground loop as it did in my system. It's easy to check for a possible Ground Loop if you have a Volt Meter. Power up the system, set Volt Meter to read 0-10 volts. Touch one lead to the metal chassis of the MBM amp and touch the other lead to the metal chassis of your amp. The reading will be 00.00 volts if you do not have a Ground Loop.

In my case I had a 1.20 volt differential between my MBM amp chassis and CKC chassis (so what does that mean). It's common, especially in subs for a small voltage to be introduced into the amp chassis through leakage and or induction (there is a huge magnet on the MBM driver). Like water seeking a path of least resistance downhill this voltage differential wants to push a small current to Earth Ground. Since the MBM power cord does not have an earth ground the current is forced to travel via Speaker Level connections in my case to Earth Ground through my CKC (thus the 60hz Hum).

I simply connected a test lead (jumper) with alligator clips on both ends. One end to a toggle switch on the MBM and the other end to the metal case of my isolation transformer. The case of the isolation transformer is connected to Earth Ground via it's 3-prong power cord. Now 0,00 volt differential between MBM amp chassis and the CKC. The small current that had been back-feeding through the speaker connections to the CKC now takes the path of lesser resistance through the jumper directly to Earth Ground.

I now run the MBM volume knob at 2 O'clock and just leave it there, no need to adjust for different styles of music like before (Just smooth Mid Bass).

Second thought:

I mentioned a while back that I purchased Sub Dude isolation platforms by Arulex for my MBM's & Subs (relatively inexpensive). If you are on a typical suspended floor (carpeted or not) it is crazy how much energy the downward firing MBM transfers into the floor. Your floor becomes a big radiator and depending on your room dimensions it might really screw with things?

In my case using the Sub Dude isolation platforms really cleaned up the Mid Bass more than I thought possible. I thought my Mid Bass was great but installing the Sub Dude's really kick it up several notches.

For me it has been a long road of experimentation but my system has never had cleaner bass and this level of effortless dynamics (especially at low to moderate volume) where most sane people listen most of the time. I really think you should be able to achieve similar performance in your smaller listening room if you do some tweaking as I have?

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/16/14 at 20:36:11

Quote:
To me, placement is 90% of the trick. The Last 10% is - 5% for gear, and 5% for crossover/tuning.

If your room permits I have had much better luck with two smaller subs along the front wall versus one larger sub jammed in a corner for max corner loading. Corner placement will give max output & headroom but almost always creates some type of room induced frequency peak and or null in my experience. Keeping the sub crossover Low (50hz and below) will help minimize room induced issues also.

I have twin subs along the front wall, each just inside the left & right mains (well away from corners). This is smoother than anything I was ever able to achieve with a single Large Quality sub in this room in the past.

When you see Subs advertised it's kind of a horsepower race. I've heard a number of High Output subs that just did not sound that great on music. The HSU ULS-15's I have now are superb value for music reproduction (These are all about Accurate Reproduction rather than sheer volume). Don't get me wrong, a pair of these are more than you would ever need for a large space.

Actually for my open floor-plan listening space twin subs are probably overkill. I have used a single Sub & Mid Bass Module in my room and get about 90% of the performance compared to using two of each.

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/17/14 at 02:37:18

Just for Grins I made several measurements & observations tonight:

As described earlier I have an Earth Ground jumper attached on one end to one of the metal toggle switches on my MBM amp chassis and the other end to the metal chassis of my isolation transformer powering my CKC & Pre. Using my digital volt meter I have 0.00 volts when I touch one lead to the MBM chassis and the other lead to a chassis screw on my CKC up front near the input tube (avoid using the power transformer as a measurement point). There is 0.00 voltage potential between the two and no audible hum from the MBM at close range.

I removed the Earth Ground jumper between the MBM chassis and Isolation Transformer chassis. Once again using my volt meter I touched one lead to the MBM chassis and one lead to a chassis screw on my CKC up front near the input tube. The volt meter registered a voltage potential of 1.9 volts. From the listening chair there was now a clearly audible (but not loud) hum.

I proceeded to listen to a variety of music. The Bass was a bit Wooly (undefined) but not so objectionable that I felt a need to lower the MBM volume from it's 2 O'clock position. This was interesting because before I installed the Sub Dude II Isolation platform under the MBM the Bass would be so Boomy without the Earth Ground attached that I would have to reduce the MBM volume for the Bass to be listenable.

This leads me to conclude that the Ground Loop Hum was being transmitted from the MBM to the floor and the floor was acting as a radiator amplifying the 60hz Hum making the hum very objectionable to the listener. Installing the Sub Dude isolation platform under the MBM seems to almost completely kill the transmission of the hum to the floor. This observation would seem to further support the effectiveness of the Sub Dude II isolation platforms. Lesson: solve any Ground Loop issues you may have and use the Sub Dude and you will have Clean Tight Bass that does not get in the way of the rest of the music.

These reviews of the Sub Dude isolation platform are interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Subwoofer-Isolation-15x15x3-inch-Charcoal/product-...

DBC   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 09/17/14 at 15:58:31

Thanks DBC, for all your input. I enjoy the MBM 12 very much in my downstairs System/HT. I have it dialed in well. For the price, the Aurelex SubDudes look like winner's too. I will need to try one under my MBM an then bring up to my e110.

For my Listening Room, I'm ordering the JL Audio e110 (later this year). I found Johnathan Valin's  Review: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/jl-audio-e-sub-e110-subwoofer/ ....to be my experience with Subwoofers an I will order the Disc to help me dial it in over my 60 days with the e110. I hope to keep it. http://www.soundoctor.com/testcd/index.htm

Cheers, and I will resurrect this thread when I get the JL e110. Crutchfield has a very fair return policy and great customer service! However, I don't bring gear in to return. I hope I can set it up to my liking with the sounddoctor disc.

I want to run at 55hrtz an down as per Valin in his Review. Not changing the character of my mains per his assessment.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 12/18/14 at 14:13:52

REL Gibraltar G1 with PerfectWave AC5 Power Cable.

I'm getting a Reference Sub that will be a keeper.

It is a Beast!

http://rel.net/products/gibraltar/g-1/

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/18/14 at 17:00:13

Wow that looks pretty amazing!

I'd still build my own for 1/4 the cost, but I'd be much happier if I could buy something that nice looking!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/18/14 at 17:10:08

Wow, that is a serious looking piece of equipment!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 12/18/14 at 18:50:46

Yeah, at 108 pounds too!

Great Amp in it and remote operation. I'm trading my Adagio's in. I will use Y connect into the Beast from my CSP3 provided output. Plan A is to keep her in the Listening Room. However, plan B is with my HT Rig. No worries...just need to be careful not to crack the foundation!   Grin Cool

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/19/14 at 02:06:47

Stone...I have a REL S5 in my system.  I didn't realize what I was missing in the bass frequencies until I got it.  I also don't know it's there unless I turn the volume down on the sub.  It was so easy to setup and integrate that I actually thought I did something wrong.  I have it connected via the high level connections (speaker level), which is what REL recommends.  Have fun...too bad about the Adagio's....I thought those would be keepers for sure.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #11 - 12/19/14 at 18:23:54

Very nice Dave.....your REL Sub/they are special. The Adagio's are wonderful speakers, an I can see why so many are attracted to them. However, having them in, pinned down what I like most through my System synergy. I am excited to get the REL, AC5 Cord and I have a couple pair of Pre Tubes coming too.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 12/23/14 at 16:42:33

Dave wrote:
"I have it connected via the high level connections (speaker level), which is what REL recommends".

Yes, I will be using the Supplied Neutrik Speakon High-Level Interconnect. I might try the output of my CSP3 eventually... . The Speaker Level from my ZMA through to Neutrik Input...should be the best though... .

Flexibility for room placement with the 10 meter Neutrik, is at hand, an with my 3 meter Pangea AC-9SE. If I need to switch to that an use my PerfectWave 2 meter AC5 into my P3 Power Plant instead.

Listening Room:
Room Treatments from Michael Green & Home Brew
Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Chord Chordette QuteHD DAC ---~or~
Audio Alchemy front-end/Remote Volume Wand/Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryo-Silver i2s
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware CSP3 w/Jupiter Caps
Kimber Select KS1030 IC RCA
Decware Zen Mystery Amplifier (National 7DJ8's in Pre A12 & B12 positions)
Kimber Select KS3035 Speaker Cable
Vintage Polk SDA1 Speakers in Stereo
XLO Pro Power Cords to CSP3 & ZMA
PS Audio P3 Power Plant / Pangea AC-9SE from wall to P3
(Front End an CSP3 Regenerated/116, 118 an 120v are used/Multiwave off...ZMA on HC Output)
REL Gibraltar G1 Subwoofer via High-Level Neutrik Input
w/PerfectWave AC-5 Power Cable
Ediswan CV2492/6922 & Telefunken E88CC/6922's coming for more Tube rolling in A12 an B12 ZMA positions

Decware SE84CS (w/NOS Svetlana SV83's from 1980's-not the New Sensor knock-offs) & Decware Super Zen CKC...when SE Pentodes run in Triode/Decware Style...needs to be in the System!

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #13 - 12/24/14 at 23:40:27

I've had all brands and types of subs...including JL.  I've had my best experiences with sealed box types.  They are simply much easier to get integrated with your main speakers.
I currently have two Velodyne digital drive units.  One in the HT and the other "used" to be in the 2-ch man cave system..... UNTIL.... I got a clue from Randy in Cantuck on this forum about the Hawthorne Audio Augie open baffle bass drivers.... OMG... never had bass of this quality and "quantity" is not an issue in my case.  I have a huge room and I have four of the 15" Hawthorne open baffle Augie's driven by 650 watts of ClassD power.  I'm sure that only two-a stereo pair - would be plenty... but hey I gottem' so I use'em.  They will move the house off the foundation... but that is not their best characteristic... boxless, completely uncolored... most musical and integrated bass I've ever had in my home... maybe that I've ever heard.  They pressurize the room even at low volumes - bass you can "feel".. just like listening to live music... which is our goal after all.

The Augie's price is right.. and you only need a sheet of 3/4" plywood and an afternoon and you're in business.  The only thing I might warn... they need some room to breath for best results... which is true of any open-baffle design... or bi-pole or di-pole speaker for that matter as well...

I have never been happier with the quality and quantity of bass in my rig in the 30+ years I've been chasing the audio holy grail...!!!  And I could have an entire truck-load of Augie's for the $$ of a couple of the top tier, highly reviewed subs... including my Velo's.  I'm just saying... LR - I'm talking to you!   Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print