Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:38:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confessions of a "Tube Roller" (Read 6775 times)
P K
Seasoned Member

Confessions of a "Tube Roller"
08/19/14 at 17:37:18

After a lot of tube rolling (and I mean a lot), I decided to put back in the factory tubes from Decware (Tung Sol 6V6 GT, NOS RCA 12au7, EZ81,etc).

I just decided to listen and I loved the results (mellow, easy to listen to, etc.).

I know if I put back in my NOS Mazda 6V6 GT and the NOS Amperex 7316 (a 12au7 equivalent) along with a pair of NOS Amperex EZ80's, the sound will change (maybe towards a slightly more digital sound, but with better resolution?).

I just want to praise Steve Deckert on choosing some way excellent tubes to sell with the Mini Torii.

Any comments?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Confessions of a "Tube Roller"
Reply #1 - 08/19/14 at 17:39:25

No experience with the Mini-Torii, but I'll echo your sentiment in the other amps and preamps. Steve always gives us a great starting point, a reference point to reconsider as well. The only tubes I've never really liked were the Ruby rectifiers, they always came out first.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/19/14 at 17:58:14

No Ruby Rectifiers (Chinese) in a Mini Torii, it uses the Vodka styled Russian OA3 and a Raytheon OC2 (American) along with a EZ81.

I also have some NOS RCA OA3 to try.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/19/14 at 18:19:22

I'm aware of that PK. Was speaking, as I said, of my experience with other amps and preamps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 08/19/14 at 21:58:14

In my opinion, it depends on ancillary equipment and listening room characteristics. For example, in my conditions, the original tube setup was too dark and not too detail-oriented.

My current tube complement set is the best so far ... maybe still far from a possible optimal, but still a tangible improvement.

DAC changes are also significant in determining the end sound profile. I agree with Steve's proposed starting point of reference, but it is unlikely he could ever guess the inter-dependencies created by diverse conditions and tastes.

These days I enjoy more of my music and worry less on the ultimate tube setup ... Yet, tube-rolling with the Mini-Torii is still fun!

Toshiba-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct-WD 2.0Tb HDD-Schiit USB cable-Schiit Yggdrasil DAC-Decware Silver Ref IC's-Decware Mini Torii SE-8PR Kimber Kable spkr cbls-Decware DM945's-Tekton Lore 2-Velodyne DLS 3500 SUB-BJC SUB Cbls-Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf-Jellyfish S
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/20/14 at 00:59:44

In my System both the original tube set up from Decware and my upgraded tubes (NOS Mazda 6v6GT matched with Amperex 7136) sounds great.

The upgraded tubes offer superior resolution along with longer note decay (but at the expense of being a little bright).

With the Decware set up I could listen to for many many hours, it is very smooth and easy on the ears.

At the end of the day I will go back to the upgraded tubes as the sound is that special (especially with the Mazda 6v6GT tubes).

Peter

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print