Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:12:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which tube amp kit to go with? (Read 6416 times)
Arktikos
Verified Member

Which tube amp kit to go with?
08/04/14 at 01:26:33

Hello all, I have become interested in building my own tube amp and have been drawn to the simplicity and reputation of Decware's Zkits. My situation is this. I have a very large set of JBL's that I have owned for 40 years as well as a powerful 170wpc Kenwood SS amp which is showing signs of needing a rebuild. I can no longer listen to these speakers at higher volume levels like I once did for any length of time due to the resulting ringing in my ears so having a 350 watt amp doesn't make sense any longer. I have heard that tube amps work well with efficient speakers and these I believe would qualify. The rating is 84db at 15 feet with one watt. Not sure how that would be for one meter but I know that 1.7 watts will run me out of the room!

My question is which kit would be best suited for me, the Zkit 1 stereo or the Zkit 2 with two boards? I would like to try 2 watts per channel and see if that is enough for most of my listening but also to have the option to later reconfigure what I have and add another to double the power to each channel.
Thank you!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Which tube amp kit to go with?
Reply #1 - 08/04/14 at 03:35:47

Hi Arktikos,

Welcome aboard!

The ZKIT1 will drive your speakers to a reasonable level with probably better bass at lower volumes than the Kenwood.  The transparency will by comparison be... legendary!

There is no difference in power between the ZKIT1 and a pair of the ZKIT2 boards... however, the ZKIT1 can be bridged mono rather easily and without complications, so that might be the better choice should you want more power down the road... although I doubt you really will.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Arktikos
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 08/04/14 at 04:33:59

Thanks Steve for the quick reply and welcome. That is just what I needed to know, that the Zkit 1 can be reconfigured to mono and another Zkit 1 added to it if need be for more power in stereo. Will be placing an order sometime this fall. So this I got a feeling will be a fun project and after it's done a real pleasure to listen to!

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/27/19 at 02:36:41

Second post. For site requirement purpose only. Pay no attention.

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/21/19 at 04:25:25

Hi Arktikos,

Long before I had efficient speakers I built a ZKIT1, and even another ZKIT1 and ran them as monoblocks.  I loved their sound and their ability to pull more music out of any amplifier I'd heard- but I didn't have the right speakers for them.  

Not to be deterred, I bought a Torii MKIV.  It was decadent, It is decadent.  It is an incredible amplifier and I love it to death. So much so that I started searching more and more efficient speakers and JBL certainly fits that bill.  

To cut to the chase, I have a pair of JBL L36 speakers that I have done the entire Troels Gravesen crossover rework to.  They sound impeccable with my ZKit1's.  I also have a pair of JBL Sovereigns that have had the crossovers completely redone and they are breathtaking with the Torii.  

I am not going to lie to you.  I will still gladly forgo heightened volume and (what I call) perceived dynamics of multi driver speaker systems for the delicacy of point source/single driver speakers.  (caveat being a helper tweeter if needed)  

The right chain of equipment- following the correct source (usually vinyl in my case)- feeding the right (wideband) driver seems to surpass every other equation.  At least for me.  

Please don't be afraid of jumping into a ZKIT feet first.  It is a lovely path to splendor Wink

Dam

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print