Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 05:13:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tweaks for the Zen Mystery Amp (Read 7506 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Tweaks for the Zen Mystery Amp
07/29/14 at 03:18:43

Since the ZMA got it's own section, posts have kind of tapered off here. I figured I'd spark up a new discussion.

What tweaks are you using for your Zen Mystery Amp?

I've been working on the power in my house to my music room; I ran some 8AWG silver plated copper wire from the breaker box directly to a PS Audio Solo (filtered outlet). I've got a Pangea AC-9SE power cord going to a PS Audio P10 Power Plant, then a nice Wireworld power cable going to my ZMA. It's not the best out there, but I'd say I've worked out a pretty pimped out setup.

One thing I'm curious about is now is Fuses. Anyone using and seen any improvement with any "audiophile fuses"?

For other upgrades, I popped off the little rubber feets Steve puts on the ZMA, and I'm currently using the Pangea Audio sorbothane feet - which Steve makes fun of...says it's like the amp is on flubber, all bouncy. Which is true, but I've found when used with the Herbie's tube dampers, the tubes don't seem to "ring" no matter how loud I have the music. I also have a set of Herbie's iso-cups, but I've not done an A/B with the sorbothane feet. I plan on doing that after I get my new amp rack built.

So, any good results with fuses?

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Re: Tweaks for the Zen Mystery Amp
Reply #1 - 07/29/14 at 21:25:01

I'm using the bigger Herbies tenderfeet under the ZMA, but I can't say it has resulted in significant gains.  I also haven't taken them out for awhile so that would be the acid test.  I might have to do that or play with different locations just to see.  I've been too busy swapping preamp tubes and trying cables lately.  I try not to make more than one change at a time and then live with it for awhile.

I've been thinking about the Herbies tube dampers but I haven't had any ringing issues.  Do the dampers bring any other benefits?

Edit:  The only time I tried the Hi-Fi tuning fuses I heard no benefit.  I was using them on Maggie speakers, not an amp.  All the Maggie crowd swore by them but I wasn't drinking the koolaid.  I'm kinda skeptical of tweaks unless the benefit is obvious.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/30/14 at 06:31:17

I'm using iFI Tuning Silver Fuses in my McIntosh preamp.  I'm not a golden ears sort of person like a lot of guys hear on the forums, but this is one upgrade I would say I noticed an immediate albeit subtle improvement in terms of a tad more resolution/transparency.  It wasn't Earth shattering, but I left them in and will continue to experiment a little more.  Im interested in Synergistic Research RED Quantum Fuses, they are having a summer promo where you can get 10% off if you already own HiFi fuses.  I can't participate as I just bought some other things, but will try on the next round.

IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/30/14 at 13:35:25

While the topic of tweaks was brought up, has anyone swapped tubes on the ZMA with positive results?  I'm still running stock and I can't say I can identify anything that sounds like it needs improving.  In the last 6 months I've rotated NOS tubes into my preamp and that was a huge improvement, particularly in the phono section.  That has got me thinking about the ZMA.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 07/30/14 at 19:55:45

I agree, I haven't felt the need to replace tubes. That said, I'm thinking about getting Cryo'd input tubes, and Cryo'd Golden Lion KT-66 as a birthday present to myself in November.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print