Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/07/24 at 20:55:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'50s  Reel to Reel tape collection & Akai GX4000D (Read 13631 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

'50s  Reel to Reel tape collection & Akai GX4000D
07/27/14 at 18:52:35

Ok, I figured I'd let the Decware Family and extended family have first dibs on this before I put it up on eBay or Craigslist.

I have a collection of 50 reel to reel tapes, both 7" and 5" spanning all of the '50s - all studio tapes back when they duplicated them at slow speed before they started high-speed dubbing in the '60s and the quality went to hell. I'll have a list of tapes and photos later today. I'm seeing these tapes go for $20 each on eBay, so I figured $500 for the whole collection - and I'd include shipping on that.

I also have an Akai GX4000D reel to reel that seems to work well. It came from the same estate sale I picked up the tape collection from. I've used it to play back some of these vintage tapes before I got the 1/4 track playback head for my Otari deck. I really don't know much about it besides it plays tapes back well (this is single ended RCA output only, no XLR). Asking $100 plus shipping.

I'm working on taking inventory and photos now for specifics - please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Here's some examples of what I have -

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
JJSuperfly
Verified Member

Re: '50s  Reel to Reel tape collection & Akai GX4000D
Reply #1 - 07/28/14 at 01:19:41

I'd be interested to receive the inventory once you've prepared it.
best regards,
/Jody

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: '50s  Reel to Reel tape collection & Akai GX40
Reply #2 - 07/28/14 at 04:47:29

OK, I had a busy night, but I got some photos of the tapes. The guy who owned these tapes worked for Allied Electronics in '50s and '60s, so I'm not surprised to find there are a couple un-released studio tapes in the mix! Great find!

The photos of the Front and Back (where applicable) covers are located here.

http://lonelyraven.zenfolio.com/p45686983

I'm going to get a couple photos of the deck before I go to bed.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 07/28/14 at 05:02:44

The Akai GX4000D deck. Looks to be in great condition - just needs more cleaning up.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 07/30/14 at 19:57:40

Bump - I'm sending to eBay soon - I never heard back from Jody, so I'm considering everything still available.

JJSuperfly
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/01/14 at 13:02:11

Sorry, been tied up at work.  I'll have a look over the weekend and get back to you with any specific wants.  
Cheers, Jody

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 08/01/14 at 14:43:06

I certainly know what that's like...it took me a month just to post this stuff because of work. LOL

Get back to me either way, so I know to hold the stuff, or post it up on eBay. I know I could get more money for it on eBay jusdging from what's actually selling up there, but I'd have to sell it one or two at a time like I did my rare CDs, and that was a huge PITA. I'd much rather move the tapes as a lot to a collector and maybe even break even on my investment.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 08/05/14 at 16:28:37

So, I'm not that familiar with Jazz, and I was curious about this Fred Kaz tape. Apparently there are a lot of Fred Kaz videos on you tube, and he had something to do with Second City!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-4Z1He_pc

thatcat
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/03/14 at 22:14:15

ignore

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 09/22/14 at 17:11:47

I've been too busy with work to post these on eBay, so I'm bumping this one more once. I can bring the R2R and tapes to Decfest next month as well.

Valiant Blue
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/18/14 at 01:15:14

I can tell you all about Fred Kaz - he was my father, and he passed away earlier this year. We are still grieving. The review copy tape you have was released as Concertapes #507, titled Kaz Jaz (one z, not a mistake). I have an original release, but it is the only one in my family, and I would dearly love to obtain the copy you have for others in my family. My dad was a prodigal jazz player who reached the elite eschelons of the jazz world very young (look up programs for the Detroit Jazz Festival or Quaker City Jazz Festival Philadelphia, both in 1960 to see who he shared stage and billing with, and also see his 1960 Atlantic records release of Eastern Exposure, recently reissued on CD. By 1963 he began about 30 years as musical director at the Second City in Chicago and later elsewhere. Ask any questions, and please let me know if you will sell this family heirloom to me. Thanks!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 10/18/14 at 11:21:50

First off, I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm glad he brought us together in this round-about way.

Thanks so much for the background! That's great to know!

Are you in the Chicago area? Please reach out to me, I believe I still have this tape in storage. LonelyRaven@hotmail.com

~Eric~

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 10/18/14 at 15:58:48

Sorry to hear of your father's death. I really enjoy the Atlantic Record I have. Best to your family!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 01/16/15 at 20:31:11

Bump - making an attempt to sell these tapes and player this weekend.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 04/10/15 at 02:02:42

I had a buyer flake on me, so I'm just posting one final time before I put it back up on eBay.

I hate flakes by the way.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 06/10/15 at 14:58:21

Deck is sold. Tapes are going up to eBay in singles or small lots this weekend. Ping me if you want something.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print