Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:16:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Special Price for the first buyers! (Read 9978 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Special Price for the first buyers!
07/11/14 at 20:33:20

The Decware Zen Monoliths are a 2 piece rear-loaded horn speaker that uses our very popular bookshelf monitors as the drive units!

This means that virtually everyone who owns a pair of these DM945 monitors already owns half of the monoliths!  All you have to do is buy the black companion cabinet and set your monitors on them and go!

While ideal with even our 2 watt amplifiers, I have been using the Monoliths almost exclusively in my own setups paired with the Zen Mystery Amp and my Tape machines since October of last year.  The synergy of this combo has become the demo system to beat here at Decware.  When you consider the price of these speakers, that's really saying a lot.  The speakers forgiving nature, affordability, and stunning performance make it the one speaker design I would sell if we were only allowed to sell one design.  And to that effect, I have made the commitment to inventory these speakers so that they are in stock and can ship within days of being ordered.  Of course, like all of our stuff, they too come with a 30 day money back trial.  The custom shipping cartons make packing painless and ensure safe arrival.

Anyone with doubts about how good or bad these would fit in your own system, just give me a call and let's talk about your room and gear.  If I still recommend them, and you decide after 30 days that you don't like them, I will WAIVE the 10% restock fee completely, that is how confident I am with these speakers.

To apply this coupon to the shopping cart, click the link below:

http://secure.ultracart.com/cgi-bin/UCEditor?merchantId=DIY&ADD=DM947&coupon=FFS...

If you don't already own a pair of the DM945's then now is your chance to just get both packaged together at a great price.  All we ask is that you post the results of what you hear in this forum so that others can begin to understand how good these speakers are.

Thanks,

Steve Deckert

WWW   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Special Price for the first buyers!
Reply #1 - 07/12/14 at 14:28:50

I'm glad you're doing this, Steve. I wish you had something like this when you first started making Zen amps some 15+ years ago - these definitely would have propelled me into the audiophile world much better than fumbling with various available speakers at the time. I really enjoy listening to these speakers on the companion cabinets - *big* full sound!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/14 at 01:08:58

Hey Steve,

I've been meaning to give you my impressions of the DM945s + Companion Cabinet for a while now, so this seems like the right time. I'm nobody's idea of a music/gear critic, but here's my story:

I came to visit you two years ago - summer of 2012. I auditioned a couple of amps and several speakers. I preferred the sound of the DM945s best, so I settled on a MiniTorii, DM945s, interconnects, speaker cable and power cords. Since then I had tried various combos of amps and subwoofers, and could never quite get the sound that I was after. I loved the highs and (especially) the mids of the 945s- but I couldn't get a low-end blend that I could live with. Then last fall I saw the companion cabinets on your site, and ordered a pair. Right away the missing link was there - good, deep, smooth, INTEGRATED bass. Hallelujah! Not long after that we talked again, and you suggested the Teac UD-501 DAC. So now my system consists of Apple MacBook Pro w/SSD running on battery power into the Teac, and then directly into a Torii MkII w/Hazen Grid mod, and out to the DM945s + Companion Cabinets. I have to say that this is the best sound that I have ever achieved. Big, fat, juicy notes. I guess when you have gear that is this resolving, it's best just to get out of the way and KISS. I have several other amps and speakers costing WAY more than this setup, but if I could only pick one system to keep, it would be this one. They have even relegated my Zu Essence MK 1B w/upgraded nanodrivers to second place for rock 'n' roll listening - and I didn't think that anything that I would be able to afford could do that. And although this system is in a crappy listening space, a couple of things jumped out at me - there is enough bass volume that you can get a bass "boom" if the speakers are too close to the front wall. Pull them out into the room, and they settle right down. Also, they throw a wide-enough soundstage that they need a little distance between them. I can only go five feet apart in my room before I run into problems with the side walls. The soundstage is still great (check out the crowd noise/applause on the Eagles live album "Hell Freezes Over" with these things, and you will see what I mean), but I have the sense that there is more there, and that they may be walking on each other a little bit. The first thing that I will do when I get them in a better space is try them at 6 feet apart, but they are so enjoyable the way that they are, it's a pretty minor complaint. Just something to look forward to, more than anything.

So I guess what I would say to anyone contemplating buying this combination speaker is that their only questions should be, "Do I want the 945s or the 946s" and "How soon can I get them". At the regular price these things punch WAY above their weight - at the special offer price what are you waiting for? If I weren't in the middle of a big ol' career change, I'd buy a set of the 946s and have them to compare side by side.

And to you, Steve, I'll just say this - it's been a loooong time since I stayed up til 3:30 in the morning listening to "just one more track", but that's exactly what I did last night. Thanks for the ride.

Randy

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/14/14 at 03:20:47

Great review Randy.  I'm glad to see another Monolith owner loving his speakers as much as I do.    I notice you mentioned the boomy bass thing with the speakers close to the wall.  I had the same thing going and I can really only have the speakers out about 14-15" from the front wall due to my room layout.  I found the magic pill was to use a pair of 1950's  RCA 5Y3GT rectifiers.  Also, Will here turned me on to using OB3's instead of the stock OA3's that my Torii MKIII came with.   Really made a huge difference in my smallish room.  Now all the freq's are perfectly balanced and utterly natural sounding imo. The bass kicks ass without being overwhelming.

Here's a link to the rectifiers I bought.
http://tctubes.com/RCA-5Y3GT-black-plates-matched-pair.aspx

Thanks again for chiming in on your experience w/ your new rig.  BTW,  after I get off work tonight at 1am, I'm off for 10days.  May pop a top when I get home and have me one those late night sessions.  If I do,  I'll tip the bottle in your general direction.   Cool

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/14/14 at 07:01:50

Thanks, Greg. I took your advice and went for a pair of the rectifiers that you linked to. I'll play with them for a while before I do the OA3/OB3 swap. I find that if I try to make too many changes at once, I can confuse myself.

On another subject, I read your "Torii III WOW!" moment post. Pretty cool how moved we can be by pure music. Hats off to you and your wife, and thanks for sharing.

Randy

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/14/14 at 14:40:54

Thanks Randy, and welcome aboard.  After you've had a chance to listen to the new rect's, please post your opinion on the sound.  Good or otherwise. Hopefully I didn't steer you wrong.

Enjoy your excellent system,

Greg

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/15/14 at 03:44:33

Will do, Greg. Also, I ran across this little saying a while back, and your WOW! moment with your wife reminded me of it. Hope it comes thru.

Randy

Music.jpg
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/14 at 05:53:49

Exactly.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print