Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 19:03:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New ZP3 and some questions (Read 10966 times)
attym
Verified Member

New ZP3 and some questions
07/09/14 at 17:31:02

Hello, I just got a ZP3 and right off the bat, I love it!

A couple of questions. I know the (3) 12a slots can take any of the 12a tubes without risk of damage. Has anyone tried using (3) 12au7 tubes?

Also, ive been told I'm just not used to the added detail the preamp is giving me over my internal Mac C29 phono stage, but I seem to notice a lot more  surface noise than I did before. Is this something I can tame with different tubes? Is this the sign of a bad tube perhaps? I clean all of my records on a VPI 16.5 and while some might be somewhat less than perfect, the surface noise seems excessive compared to what I've come to expect with my records.

I should mention, the cart is a Dynavector 20x2H (2.8mv)

Thanks!

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Re: New ZP3 and some questions
Reply #1 - 07/10/14 at 02:24:56

I answered my own question... (3) 12au7 tubes don't work well...

Now I'm running:

12ax7 Telefunken (Not sure how it tests)
12ax7 Telefunken (Not sure how it tests)
12au7 RCA Long Black Plate (Tests very good)
5y3gt RCA (1952, tests well)
oa3 RCA

So far, the sound is good, but feels a bit blurred or conjested at times, I'd like to clear it up.. Maybe tighten the bass. But over all, very enjoyable...

IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/14 at 14:07:25

With these tubes, the guitar and vocals sound magical. Midrange for days. Open and airy as I've read telefunken a described. However, I'd love get some more life to the bass. It seems a bit hidden in the background.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 07/13/14 at 14:27:39

It really can be hard to get EVERYTHING to sound great with tube sets.

I find it hard to tell exactly what's going on with music with electric instruments. I use chamber music or small jazz ensembles and solo piano etc. for fine tuning myself.

The tube set I have now sounds really nice, I've left it alone for over a year. . . ti's working!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/13/14 at 20:22:42

I will say the midrange I'm getting and jazz sound great! What tubes are you running?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/13/14 at 23:31:44

The bass on the ZP3 is awesome attym. No, really it`s as powerfull as the engineer records it. It should become evident as it burns in, my own ZP3 took a week for the bass to really become a feature. 0a3, yes, supposed to give the unrestricted bass. RCA 5R4GY is a popular tube here but the 5Y3GT is one I`ve used and liked as well.
Big question..does your cart need a step up..no, probably not but it`s worth checking. I had the L version of the DV you`re using, .28mv, and put it through the ZMC1. Certainly not bass shy.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/14/14 at 01:55:14

The bass is there, it just seems less impactful than it could be. Is there one tube slot that has more affect on bass?
My turntable is properly set up... however, a VTF or VTA adjustment could fine-tune the bass... I suspect what Im hearing is the characteristic of the tubes I'm using.
I should also mention, after the zp3 warmed up for an hour, the bass became more defined. Not 100% where I think it can be, but better.
At the risk of sounding unhappy with the sound... not at all. Its great!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/14/14 at 04:44:12

My tube set:

Raytheon 12AU7
Raytheon 12AX7 by two
RCA Bottle type OA3
RCA 5Y3GBT

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/16/14 at 02:16:36

"Big question..does your cart need a step up..no, probably not but it`s worth checking."

Looking into this more, it seems consensus on my cart/arm combo is VTA about 1/16 lower in the back. I originally adjusted my VTA by ear (old phono stage) and it was raised a lot in the rear. By lowering it and setting the VTF to 2.18.... The bass that sounded like it was being played in the next room is now in the picture.... night and day.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/14 at 09:18:38

I use a template which is just parrallel lines on a card stood up on top of the record and `eye` the vta in with the stylus on the lp. I have the arm dead level. 180* turn clockwise and its set for 180gm lp`s.
Another thing I learned was the anti-skate. I always had it set the same as the vtf ...2gms. Not now, I have it at 1gm and it makes a slight difference in perceived ease of flow. I have tried 1/2 gm but any slight tick on the lp is likely to make the needle stick.

The reason I mentioned a step up attym is that in my limited knowledge phonos like to have around 5mv going in. Looking at mm carts they are typically 4-6 mv. I know I`m totally wrong because you have the 20xH because so you dont need a an sut. Cart figures mess my head up.   Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
attym
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 07/21/14 at 17:05:38

For the sake of anyone reading this post in hopes of learning about the ZP3.... ignore my first post, it was user error.

Backgrounds are black, surface noise is minimal and the bass is deep, textured and well balanced.... perhaps the best Ive ever heard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print