Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 16:34:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
best resonator guitar for beginner? (Read 2605 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

best resonator guitar for beginner?
06/29/14 at 17:23:02

enjoy the dobro style of play and want to learn on a square neck. Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific brand etc?

Thanks

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: best resonator guitar for beginner?
Reply #1 - 06/29/14 at 17:35:08

A friend of mine owned an old Regal. Not a fancy model, but it had a nice strong sound, square neck. I'd look for one of those were I in the market (I don't play acoustic that much and have two Martins, one an OOO-15  and the other a D-15S; two very different guitars and very nice ones. . . it would be a waste to buy another acoustic--though I don't often do the sensible thing.)

Are you thinking new? A friend of mine in Texas likes a new Gretsch he purchased last year.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Affordable_Resonator_Roundup_Gretsch_Recor...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: best resonator guitar for beginner?
Reply #2 - 06/29/14 at 17:49:26

yeah definitely new and wouldn't want to spend more than say 700.  I like the look and sound of the Regal black lightning and I see it's locally for sale under 550 so I might go in that direction.   I've been wanting to play for a while and I've decided the best time is now.

Thanks for the tips.

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print