Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 13:39:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Double the power, isobaric, or 2 DB's ? (Read 8356 times)
marpolsdofer
Verified Member

Double the power, isobaric, or 2 DB's ?
06/24/14 at 00:46:02

So I have a amp that about put 800 RMS at 4 Ohm 1600 at 2 Omh and 2400 at 1 Ohm and its a Mono block. Now my amp, I can hook my subs together to get the desired ohms and run it as one and my amp also has 2 subs terminals to change the wiring up even more so I can run 2 subs independent instead while running in mono. For the sake of this topic don't even worry about how I am getting the power from the amp.

As for the subs I have 3 Kicker CVX's. I have two 2 Ohm DVC and one 4 Ohm DVC. So here are my options and don't know what would sound better or if its safe. Hoping some one can help me with this. The subs can handle 750 RMS each but since its under rated I would expect 800.

Options
1- Run one 2 Ohm DVC at 800 RMS
2- Run one 4 Ohm DVC at 1600 RMS (double the rated handling)
3- Run two 2 Ohm DVC (isobaric) at 1600 RMS (each sub getting 800)
4- Run two Death Box's each with one 2 Ohm DVC at 1600 RMS (each getting 800)

I am also thinking about running other box options such as the WO, Low Rider, Inverted Wedge. Full sub specs and discussion directly under this topic in the Deathbox Support Forum

Thanks, Marshal

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: Double the power, isobaric, or 2 DB's ?
Reply #1 - 07/12/14 at 01:16:04

What size are your drivers?
To me, the most logical of your chosen options would be two DBs. Not sure what you might do with the odd third driver. I might even tune the two enclosures slightly differently (one really low and one a bit higher) to get an even wider peak performance.

I can also recommend the WO from several successful builds.

I would say, if you have room for a WO, then go that route, BUILD IT FULL SIZE (do not screw around) otherwise stick with the dual DB option and rock out.

IP Logged
marpolsdofer
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/14/14 at 21:45:26

Well the 3rd driver I just have laying around. The option was to use that and double the RMS on it or just use the two drivers one in its own each box or clam shell in one box and just use its normal RMS to each.

The one question I mostly care about it how it sounds. I don't mind ported box if the delay is not to bad. I would rather has a nice response from lower 30's to 80-90hz and keep it mostly linear and flat.

I cant fit a full sized WO in the trunk. I could fit the smallest one in there but I would run in to a few problems.
I would have to build in the trunk and it will never come out. The horn end would have to be blocked at the end and instead have it curved up (with it directly under my 9x16 vent hole in my deck). The other problem is I can not get to my spare but I could always put the on top of the box.
This is one reason when I build a box's I split them for each sub so I can them out and in if need be, as well get  my spare.
I don't have fold down seats and I have my amp rack blocking in from the seat area.

I have room just the trunk opening is not becaues of its odd shape.

Anyways there are 12's Kicked CVX's and basic specs are bellow.
Resonance Freq (Fs) 28.5hz
QMS 10.098
QES .396
QTS (total q) .381
Vas 2.04
Net Displacement 105 cu in

box specs
compact sealed 1 cu ft (750 rms) and sq sealed 4.6 cu ft (300 rms)
compact vented 1.75 cu ft (300 rms) and sq vented 2.25 (700 rms) some kicked reps say 2.8 cu ft is better.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/14 at 04:50:30

Stick with the Death Box, use two of them. Tune each one a bit apart from the other and you will have a wider peak output.

Forget the Wicked One if  you do not have room for it. (I am not trying to be cool driving around. I drive an SUV and can fit four of them in the back if I want, but one of the WOs with 500W across highly efficient JBLs is plenty.)

Enjoy your DBs!
Have fun!

IP Logged
marpolsdofer
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/15/14 at 06:02:02

lol I have room for the low rider but have not hear much from this box.

How does the DB sound compared to a ported box? My understand is its a bandpass box but my experience with them is they can be peaky.

Right now I am building a slightly bigger inverted wedge for them and see how they compare to my normal poly filled 1.6 cu boxes.

I only have wood and time for either two death boxes or ported boxes.

It does not need to be crazy loud but has to be loud (see what I am saying), retain most of the SQ and that kick my in the chest my current boxes have.

It also seems with most ported boxes I hear they tend to work and sound better for this sub with a slight delay.

If I had room I would go WO or a t-line box. They both have disadvantages in size and weight department. Not to mention I would need 2nd dvc 4 to bring down shared RMS.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/14 at 04:24:43

Your post makes no sense.

If you are already building an enclosure and do not have wood/resources to build more then why are you asking about other enclosures?

I can tell you that a Deathbox is simply a "special kind"  of ported enclosure, with some bandpass properties. You can not design a better, more versatile ported enclosure that would support a great number of drivers with one build operation, because it is "tunable."

As far as the Wicked One, yes it is a bandpass type of enclosure, but if you have ever studied the design, it will NOT have a shallow half octave peak. It does have a bandpass function but it generally passes two or two and a half octaves with a high degree of efficiency.

The Wicked One is quite a bit more complicated than a compound box with a couple of holes in it. But, as you said, you do not have room for one AND you are already building another type of enclosure, so never mind  about that until you have sufficient resources to explore a superior enclosure design.

... and, WHY are you even considering the Low Rider if you are already building another enclosure.

This is what makes no sense to me.

I would like to be able to help you make an informed decision, but we must first set goals within our space limitations and then try to meet them.

Grin

Have fun!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print