Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:18:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can you Hot SWAP 12ax7 in the Decware phono preamp (Read 6881 times)
P K
Seasoned Member

Can you Hot SWAP 12ax7 in the Decware phono preamp
06/01/14 at 14:19:48

Can you hot swap the 12ax7 in the Decware phono preamp ZP3 (for tube rolling)?

Thanks,

Peter

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Can you Hot SWAP 12ax7 in the Decware phono preamp
Reply #1 - 06/01/14 at 14:55:37

I don't know but am interested if you can.  I tube roll often in my ZP3 and do it with it off and cold at the beginning of a listening session.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/01/14 at 18:11:12

I Hope Steve D. will respond!!!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/01/14 at 18:38:03

You can hot swap it if the ZP3 is powered off. It has been done. Probably not smart to do so, but I have done it and not harmed the preamp.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/02/14 at 16:51:34

Now I am confused, I thought "HOT SWAP" was to exchange tubes while the phono preamp was still turned on.

The  ZP3 has two levels of being turned off, standby mode, current to heaters? or off.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND YOUR REPLY.

Please advise.

Peter

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/02/14 at 18:13:03

Then I misunderstood you. Personally I would not remove the tube unless the ZP3 was turned off. That's just me. It may not be harmful, but it's easy to just turn the component off and remove the hot tube, install another, turn back on.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 06/02/14 at 19:04:09

Technically you can remove a hot tube while the unit is on without damaging the it, however you will often get a hellacious pop from your speakers if you don't have the volume all the way down.  I can't speak for what it will do to the tube itself.  I would follow Lon's advise on this one!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print