Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:08:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Tunes Did Nero Fiddle? (Read 8151 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

What Tunes Did Nero Fiddle?
05/26/14 at 00:38:15

When Nero fiddled while Rome burned, what tunes did he play?
Does anyone here know of a recording of Roman melodies from this era?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What Tunes Did Nero Fiddle?
Reply #1 - 05/26/14 at 01:16:39

Well, there were no fiddles until about fifteen CENTURIES after Nero. He probably played what you would call a "lyre" if there is any truth at all to the legend of him playing music as Rome burned.

Here is an article about the ancient Roman music:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_ancient_Rome

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/26/14 at 01:28:25

Thank you, Lon.   Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 05/26/14 at 01:54:59

You're welcome. Fascinating to see they had organs fueled by the compression of water to force air into the pipes and other relatively complex instruments!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/26/14 at 03:53:34

Yes, the Hydraulis. I was much surprised by that!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/26/14 at 04:00:30

Some cithara recordings are here http://homoecumenicus.com/Ioannidis-Ancient-Cithara.htm
I thought the sound samples showed an instrument with a very pretty sound. Quite sweet and musical.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/26/14 at 04:18:58

Brian wrote on 05/26/14 at 03:53:34:
Yes, the Hydraulis. I was much surprised by that!

Those clever Greeks, building on Egyptian knowledge and extending it with mechanical brilliance.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/26/14 at 22:58:44

Not sure I`d like to be in earshot while Nero strummed.
I might be getting my Emperors mixed up but wasn`t it Nero who wrote and starred in his own plays. Apparently they were so long and bad that the doors would be locked to stop anyone getting out.  :) ....and a death occured during one...or so it`s said.

It`s also said he twiddled his thumbs while Rome burned, a reference that he instigated/allowed it so he could rebuild in his name.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/28/14 at 02:06:49

I have been in the dictionary. "Fiddled" while Rome burned may not have referred to music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 05/28/14 at 03:36:45

Yes, but you have to figure: how long has this story been and it has come down in lots of languages, probably starting with Latin. Just because in English "fiddle" has other meanings, what is the original word, and does that have similar meanigns as well (unlikely in my opinion).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print