04/25/24 at 06:04:29 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
housewrecker trouble (Read 502 times)
Turtle812
Verified Member

housewrecker trouble
05/15/14 at 00:01:24

i built a house wrecker and when high output is achieved there is a knocking sound that will disappear if i put my hand in one of the ports.i can find nothing loose yet there is a loud knock when a lot of air moves from the cab. Anyone have any ideas ? more screws,bracing, damping. i am at a loss  thanks in advance.

Music is sculpture of the air FZ
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: housewrecker trouble
Reply #1 - 05/15/14 at 00:19:07

Speaker running out of excursion?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 05/15/14 at 05:43:42

That would be my thought as well. The voice coil is probably bottoming out on the magnet.

When you put your hand over the port, you're tightening up the "air spring" behind the speaker which is helping it keep within its mechanical limits.

If it still sounds good with the port blocked, then you can simply block it off with foam (so it's removable) or a block of wood or something and be happy with your box.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #3 - 05/15/14 at 12:17:30

I agree.  I have a speaker like that...sounds great until you get to a certain point.  If you go a little past that point you get a really loud knock... scares the s%$# out of you.  That's a knock that sounds loud over the extreme bass that's playing out of the speaker at the time, so its a REALLY loud knock.

Dan

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/08/14 at 14:08:27

I have to agree with these experienced old heads.

Sometimes either the driver is "uncomfortable" in this type of enclosure or you are simply trying to get more out of a driver than it can produce and you reach beyond max excursion.

If your driver still works after a massive bottoming out, bump event, you are lucky.

Try a different driver, reduce any low boost, block off some of the port or in general reduce power.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print