Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 16:31:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BlackDiscus Free Sample (Read 15485 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

BlackDiscus Free Sample
03/11/14 at 03:02:45

Hi guys, Mad Scientist Audio is giving away a free sample of their product called BlackDiscuss.  Even shipping is free so it doesn't cost you anything to try to see if they work for you in your system.

Click here for the product link...

Click here for the freebee link...

Positive Feedback Review of the BlackDiscus

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: BlackDiscus Free Sample
Reply #1 - 03/11/14 at 15:10:36

I have been testing these in my system and not heard any difference thus far.  

The appear to me to be some kind of ferrite material like used on cables, but that is just a guess.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/11/14 at 15:27:42

I'm with Palomino.  I tried them in all sorts of different places/configurations and didn't hear any changes.  I was hoping for something, but nothing really panned out for me.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 03/11/14 at 16:50:07

I will pass on these and I recant my statements MLR (momentary lapse of reason). I agree with Zygy in this Thread I started about another Treatment. -S

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1389799608

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 03/11/14 at 20:40:36

Yeah, I had the little cupcakes on my ICs on the Zen amp, and played with them for a few minutes with the ZMA - no difference at all. I even got a nice steel bin to put them in to do the With/Without test (since the directions say you need a Faraday cage to "remove them from the room"). I hear no difference at all. Not even a little bit.

I'm trying to get a friend of mine to request the bigger cupcake sized ones just to give them a better chance (since they are free after all), but I'm not trying too hard.

Just seems like snake oil to me. I'll concentrate on diffusers and absorbers which actually do make a huge difference for little money.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/11/14 at 20:53:20

OK, I sent in a request for the bigger cupcakes.  We'll do a blind test at the next CDAPS meeting.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/11/14 at 21:18:30

Well then ... looks like they aren't a hit around here.  I'll check them out and report back if I here anything beneficial.  Luckily they let you try before you buy, so that's at least one positive note about their company.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/11/14 at 23:31:24

Looks like these are turning into a slippery situation with a few of you! I'm all for stuff if it works but I have to say I am a whole lot skeptical  about these. Looking forward to reading about more attempts to see how these work if they do. These aren't cheap either unless of course if they worked.

Everybody have a great day!

Cool

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/12/14 at 20:14:07

What I think these are made of is ferrite, like the ferrite chokes I have put on some of my DIY power cords.  They are supposed to reduce EMI and RFI.  You put them near the connection point on cables to reduce what gets picked up by the cable over its run to the amp, etc.

So, if that is what they are (or some other similar material), they could have some impact to the degree that they reduce the noise.

I think I paid $4 for a couple of these ferrite chokes from parts express.  Given that these are cupcake shaped, they are probably work 10X that Grin

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 03/14/14 at 19:23:09

Cool, this should be a quick CDAPS meet if this is what we're testing/demoing.

Oh wait, we should do some power cord testing as well.

Ok, 5 minutes for (non-edible) cupcake testing, then 4 hours for power cord testing.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/27/14 at 22:04:08

I got my BlackDiscus' the other day and I brought them into my listening area, placed them in the recommended spots on my components, etc.  And ...

Well at first I thought maybe I could hear something, but overall it is extremely subtle if anything and I doubt I could pick them out in a blind listening test.  But I can say that they did no harm either.

Anyways, I'm not the best person to notice these changes as I've noticed that even cables don't make a huge difference to me like they do with some guys here.  So I'm going to pass, but I give props to Mad Scientist Audio  for at least letting you try before you buy.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Mad Scientist Magic Tubes Free Sample
Reply #11 - 08/14/15 at 02:46:37

Hey all, those guys at Mad Scientist Audio are at again ... today they are giving away "FREE" samples of their brand new product called "Magic Tubes" you can read more at the link.

Anyways a $49 dollar value all you pay is $5.00 shipping.  Or if you live in New Zealand you can pick them up for free at their shop. Cheesy  Still $5.00 aint too shabby.  I ordered mine just a few minutes ago.

Here is the directions from their email:

1) Go to this page http://madscientist-audio.com/presta/home/28-magic-tubes-2-pack.html - note that you need to register on our site, but that's easy - we need to know where to post them after all..
2) Click Add to Cart
3) Now click on the Cart and you should see "Magic Tubes - 2 pack" with price $49 and $5 shipping
4) In the VOUCHERS box, enter MAGICME and this will make the tube price zero, leaving just the shipping.

Here's some more info about the tubes:

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/magic-tubes/

http://blackdiscus.blogspot.co.nz/2015/08/mad-scientist-magic-tubes.html

"FREE" sounds good to me Grin

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 08/18/15 at 02:03:27

I have a set on the way. Will give them a run when they arrive. Ordered them with the cupcake size puck. The pucks work in some places but not others. The tubes come free with the puck order, so ok, why not?

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/18/15 at 21:52:13

Mine are shipping from Kiwi land right now, I'll report back on any findings.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 08/18/15 at 22:11:21

Got the 'tubes' today. The composite inside the tubes doesn't appear to be anything like ferrite. Pretty powdery white substance. No, no, not THAT white, maybe more like white ash color. I'll get a couple of photos later. Directions say that the powder needs to be evenly dispersed inside the tube, and then it takes awhile for the property of the substance to 'settle', maybe magnetically speaking. Says that they act on the earth's magnetic poles. Will believe it when I hear it. More to come.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 08/20/15 at 18:11:24

I for some reason couldn't get the order page to finish the purchase. So I gave up on them. The Black Discs didn't do anything for me - so I'm not feeling the loss of the tubes.  :)

4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 08/20/15 at 23:03:16

Yah, curiosity has sold a lot of products to me over the years. As fae as the tubes, I haven't really listened fir their effect, as I am messing around with other stuff in the system. The one MS product that I can't argue with are the long black and blue sticks. I cheated and put them close to the voice coil of the ZOB speakers. If ever there would be a place for a stronger product, that would be it. Sure enough, there are changes. Works good on the bass, but it's the midrange that impresses me. Pulls it back just a tad from forward. And that way, I don't have to flip the switch on the driver that pulls it back a tad too much. Picky eh?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/21/15 at 00:13:05

Lonely Raven wrote on 08/20/15 at 18:11:24:
I for some reason couldn't get the order page to finish the purchase. So I gave up on them. The Black Discs didn't do anything for me - so I'm not feeling the loss of the tubes.  :)

Bummer, well mine are in route as we speak.  The last ones didn't do all that much for me either, perhaps they were too small and/or more are needed to have a more pronounced effect.  But we'll see how the Magic Tubes go.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/23/15 at 06:42:34

I have worked a long time to get my setup revealing, a focus on improvements in spaciousness, inner clarity, and fine detail complexity carrying benefits across the spectrum. And a lot of this started with some EMF/RFI line filters years ago that seduced me into power experiments, some pretty quirky, but useful.

I worked at it, trying the little sample discus in multiple positions, but I heard enough to buy more. Then to place a number of bigger discus, it was more work to get everything "right" in balance, but to me worth the couple hundred I spent.

I agree that the Black Discus can be subtle enough to have little effect in some positions. Also in some positions or combinations here they were not so good making for a coolish leanness. But in positions where they work well, they accentuate the best qualities that were there before, presumably from reducing noise in a neutral fashion, improving the sound top to bottom. Subtle in some ways, but when we have many thousands in a system, what is the last few percent worth?

But then, if the system does not reveal benefits, no point is there? I can say they work here though.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 08/27/15 at 06:27:14

Thanks for the remarks Will, the Black Discuss certainly aren't doing anything bad in my system and I kind of had the feeling that adding a few more might bring better results.

Ok, the Magic Tubes are here and they actually look like little, crimped, test tubes with sand in them.  It's not sand but special recipe of things.  I attached them to my preamp/amp interconnects nearest to the amp's RCA connectors.  The instructions said to use blue tack, but they came attached to a piece of paper by some sort of removable gel like substance that makes them easy to stick to just about anythig, so I just used that instead.

I put them in last night and listened to my system for a bit and did not feel that much was going on, but after listening pretty much all day and 24 hours into using them I believe they are actually giving me some real ~yet very subtle~ improvements.  I'm definitely going to keep them in and listen a bit more then try removing them to see if its just a placebo effect, but so far I like them. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print