Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 14:50:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Golden Ear Triton 2 & the 1 (4/14 release) Spe (Read 9126 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Golden Ear Triton 2 & the 1 (4/14 release) Spe
02/20/14 at 19:11:01

I am a fan of Sandy Gross because he created the Polk SDA SRS Speakers. I have a pair in my Living Room Rig and love them. He went on to create Def Tech & now Golden Ear just a few years back.

I am only interested in 2 channel stereo for my Listening Room with the Golden Ears.

I am interested in the Golden Ear Triton 2 because of its ability to run with the SE84ZS (for me a SE84CS) and of course/a given with my new ZMA.
See page 2, "Playing With Single Ended Triode Tube Amps". In which of course, the Reviewers experience, has been my experience, even without the integrated internal subs....I have run my Polk LS 90 Speakers with the same musicality as described by the Reviewer here:http://hometheaterreview.com/goldenear-technology-triton-two-loudspeaker-reviewe...

Furthermore, Sandy Gross will be personally running his new Triton 1 with a 24 watt per channel SET. See post #11 here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510637/close-up-of-the-new-goldenear-triton-one-at-ce...

Anyone here, listen to a pair of Triton 2's with a good front end, cabling and Tubes?  

My objective is...does the Triton 2 really integrate the powered Bass well?

Of course, I will be auditioning them tomorrow at a Dealer with their Solid State. I of course, will need to get them in my Listening Room, with my Room Treatment, +Placement and with the incomparable ZMA... with my Cables and Front End to really know what they can do....... .
-S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Re: Golden Ear Triton 2 & the 1 (4/14 release) Spe
Reply #1 - 02/20/14 at 23:40:23

Just prior to getting introduced to Decware amps I was looking into PrimaLuna.  My local dealer had their Premium integrated amp (ZMA power) driving the Triton 2s.  I was there to hear the Primaluna, but was fairly impressed with the Tritons for their price range.  The bass was solid and well integrated.  They played effortlessly with the PL amp.

Naturally, I've become convinced since then that getting the PL amp would have been a mistake.  If I was shopping the $1,500 price range for speakers the Goldenear's are a must audition.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #2 - 02/21/14 at 03:05:30

I wish the Triton 2's were just $1500 for the pair...they are $1500 each.
When they first came out they were $2495.00 for the pair. In production for over 3 years now.

The Golden Ear Triton 1's will be 5k for a pair. They are to be released the end of April.

Good call on the PrimaLuna jsm71. I had a Prima in for a full 30 days and over 100 hours on it. It was returned! The ZMA completely destroys it. I have owned a SE84CS for 13 years come May and a Super Zen CKC since late 2012. Neither of these Amps will ever be sold by me.

Thanks for the input...you found the bass well integrated... .

With the snow storm raging outside...I probably won't go audition them tomorrow...but will get down to Stereoland in Bloomington soon. It is a good 35 miles on the other side of the City.

jsm71, how is the timeline looking for your ZMA? I have not looked at the build sheet, etc... .   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/21/14 at 14:09:23

Stone, sorry about misunderstanding the price.  You are all over that, so I didn't lose too much face on that one.  I also wasn't there to shop for the Tritons, so I didn't focus on the price.

As to the ZMA, I've just hit "parts pulled" on page one.  Luckily my MK IV is singing like a champ so I'm not edgy, but I'm still waiting as fast as I can.  Like others I've been soaking in all the early impressions and nothing has dampered my anticipation yet.

Scott in Ohio

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/23/14 at 12:44:36

I went in to hear this line yesterday at a store I had not been to before. Unfortunately the amp/source was not the greatest and the rooms were untreated.

Powerful low end on all models (even the basic model (7?) with only passive.  To be honest, I can't tell you much more because of the setup.

I will probably get another opportunity to hear these in a better environment at Axpona coming up in April.

I would not give the build quality the highest marks, but I don't think that's what you are buying here.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 02/23/14 at 16:34:50

Palomino, I will face the same challenge/poor room treated set up at my Dealer, Stereoland here in Bloomington, MN.

I will get satisfaction though...I plan on bringing a pair of Triton 2's home for Audition. My goal is to get the burned in Demo Pair in my System from a Saturday after close through their closed on Sunday and back by Monday.

The Speakers can play with Tubes very well (see the threads I posted above). Their are other theads/reviews out there too....using Primaluna mediocrity. I say that, because I had Prima in here....Decware need only apply.  So, they will be worth my time to have in at 60 pounds each/quite manageable. I am a fan of 90, 91 & 92db Speaker's that can play with my SE84CS and ZMA. I have two pair/gems that can overachieve in my System Setup...looking for a third.

Yes, you are not buying them for their fine woodwork...just the sound.

I was going to go to Axpona too! However, I will be in Palo Alto....my son will be a Freshman at Stanford University come this Fall. I am attending an Admit Orientation with him that Thursday through the weekend.

I will get them in my Listening Room next month.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/23/14 at 21:04:22

There is a shop not far from me that does the weekend trial.  A really good idea to help the sale along.  Unfortunately they don't carry this line.

I actually checked them out because of your posts.  I'm not really in the market for speakers but I was taking my son back to school in the city and had heard good things about this shop.

I am now fixated on some kind of power regeneration product.  Raven's visit last weekend with his P10 has left me scheming on how I can buy something which provides something close to what I heard.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print