Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 23:45:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
decware tube sound...better when left on in cold ? (Read 5035 times)
dla405j

decware tube sound...better when left on in cold ?
02/11/14 at 22:16:51

-17 below zero in northern Illinois this morning and I unknowingly left my zen amp on for 30 straight hours.  Yes I know that it is not an efficient way to heat my condo but the sound was unbelievably good today.  I'm used to getting optimum sound in about 30 to 45 minutes but 30 hours????  figment of my heat-starved brain or do things really improve that much when left on for that long???  Of course there's tube-life to consider....stock tubes with 8 months use....it's the last available white-topped se84zs and keeps improving in sound..long breakin??????

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: decware tube sound...better when left on in cold ?
Reply #1 - 02/11/14 at 23:33:50

D,

I've found that each of my Decware amps sounds better and better the longer that they are on. And I often leave mine on for hours and hours. There's a transparent openness they get when they're good and hot. . . ah it sounds so so good!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 02/12/14 at 19:30:05

I have found my Torii to come "on song" about an hour from start up.  It may continue to bloom for longer - hard to say - but most of the 'warming up' to its basic sonic personality happens in about an hour.  I guess you could leave your amp on 24 x 7 if you want to buy lots of tubes......

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 02/12/14 at 21:26:05

Cool. My experience has been different, on all the amps I've had. When I was working I left mine running all weekend, and by Sunday it was sounding better than Saturday. And now I often leave an amp running to burn in components and again, when it's on over 24 hours or so it gets amazing sounding.

Just my experience.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Charnwood
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/13/14 at 09:18:09

Quote:
Posted by: Lon Posted on: Yesterday at 21:26:05

Cool. My experience has been different, on all the amps I've had. When I was working I left mine running all weekend, and by Sunday it was sounding better than Saturday. And now I often leave an amp running to burn in components and again, when it's on over 24 hours or so it gets amazing sounding.

This mirrors my own experience.

Marantz sa-7s1 -> Audio-GD Master 8 -> Decware ZMA -> Decware ERR.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 02/13/14 at 16:18:01

I've only accidentally left my amp on overnight - I'll have to try leaving the ZMA on all weekend to see what happens.

I can say it really reaches its stride after about an hour as well.

Thankfully, Brianne powers it up when she gets home from work, which is often 30-60 minutes before me. We watch some downloaded TV shows through the Projector using ZMA for audio, then get down to music after 9pm when it's good and warm and the house starts settling down.

From start up to power down, it's a noticeable improvement.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print