Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:54:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crate and Barrel Room Treatments :-) (Read 9488 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Crate and Barrel Room Treatments :-)
01/30/14 at 00:35:15

Hi all, me and my girl were shopping at crate and barrel the other day and I picked up a couple of these wood wall art thingys (just because they looked cool) and I was going to place them on each side of my TV for decoration.  In the mean time, I stuck them on the floor behind my speakers until I could get them hung up on the walls and until then it didn't dawn on me that these would be pretty good diffusers.  I got to say I heard a difference right away and I'm one of those guys who doesn't hear a lot with cables, etc., but this really stood out to me as a difference in my room.

They're not as technically advanced as dedicated designs, but they do have some diffusing properties, are fairly cheap and good sized, can be mounted either horizontal or vertical and are pretty cool looking in a retro sort of mid century modern way.  Anyways, they are on clearance at the Crate and Barrel Outlet.

$50 a panel and they are 42" x 14" and made out of recycled wood.  I like them so much I'm going to pick up a couple more for my back walls.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Crate and Barrel Room Treatments :-)
Reply #1 - 01/31/14 at 12:53:06

Because of the shallow depth, those would work pretty much only high treble frequencies - Probably 10k and up I would guess.

That would help with some flutter and slapback echo in that region.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/14 at 06:32:48

Interesting, thanks for the feedback.  I don't know a lot about the what's best for different frequencies, but I think I have a pretty bright room as these seemed to have toned down the room somewhat.  I have them sitting on the floor right behind my speakers, they look kind of cool just like that, but I'm going to hang them this weekend and probably get two more for the back walls.  After that I'm going to run REW and try playing with the room correction software in JRiver.  I think I can create a file with REW and import it into JRiver, so that's my weekend Cheesy

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 02/03/14 at 19:51:58

That sounds awesome!

I need to get off my butt and learn REW - I've played with it before, but only for sub placement and tuning. I just got a new microphone and a MINIDSP since I'm adding two more sub-woofer drivers and another 2000 watts to my room - so I have no excuse to really learn it now.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 02/03/14 at 20:02:02

Oh, and as for what frequency a device is useful at - look up the wavelength of sound at different frequencies. This one I Googled really quickly only has bass frequencies, but you'll get the idea.

For a device to be effective at a certain frequency, it needs to be able to handle it's wavelength. So if the pattern is only 1" by 1" with 1" depth, it's only going to work on frequencies that fit into or are bent by that shape/space. A frequency that's larger than the pattern, is simply going to see it as a flat wall.

I don't recall all the rules(it's been a while since I've picked up the books), but I know with bass frequencies you can get by with absorbers that are 1/4 the wavelength. So if you have a wavelength that's 10' long, an absorber that's 2.5' can affect it. It might be the same with diffusers as well, but I honestly don't recall. I've forgotten so much, especially when there is software out there to do so much of the math for you.

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/04/14 at 01:51:41

Ok, that's actually a cool little chart.  I'm going to use that!  It's a living room, so I don't want to get too extreme, but I think I can get a couple of bass traps in the rear of the room too.

thanks for the chart and feedback LR!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print