Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:30:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new super zen triode - help please (Read 20575 times)
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

new super zen triode - help please
01/28/14 at 02:41:54

Hi, UPS dropped off my new super zen tiode today. Wired up and plugged in, but I'm not sure about the switch positions. Help from knowledgable users appreciated...

Looking at the manual, it indicates the Right side toggle switch is for input bias. The unit ships with 6N1P-EV tube. What position should the switch be in, forward or towards the back? And so I better understand the unit, what is the difference between front and back for this switch?

Sorry if this may seem basic. But I did a quick read of the manual, and did not see this covered.

Thank you, Kent

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: new super zen triode - help please
Reply #1 - 01/28/14 at 03:28:04

Kent,

WELCOME! And congrats!

Assuming that the bias switching is very similar to that which I had and have on other Zen amps, there is no "right" or "wrong" position for the input tubes, just what sounds best for you on a recording. One position will be a bit more "laid-back" sounding, mellower, less dynamic, the other will be more dynamic and a bit more forward sounding. Each of these is going to sound a bit different with different  systems and can also be used to tailor the sound for different recordings and to suit your own tastes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/28/14 at 10:46:42

Thanks Lon. I was afraid to run the unit not knowing the implications. I woke up at 4 this morning (unusually early for me), so of course I needed to give it a try  ;D

My DAC will not be here for a few days, so right now it's a modest priced BluRay player acting as input.

No judgements lacking breakin and handicapped by the BluRay, but it is making music.

Thanks again for the quick response. Regards, K

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 01/28/14 at 11:10:15

Alright! Glad you have it up and running. Keep us posted. Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/14 at 12:10:17

Allow for a lot of breakin   . Mine is maybe a year old now and  I listen to it as enthusiastic as the first day I owned it . great choice!!! My bias switch is to the front of the amp,and there will always be a click noise when you switch that particular toggle . so turn the volume down to do that. the position of the switch is like Lon said  "up to you"!!!

IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/30/14 at 13:25:11

Thanks Jameskk,

Still waiting on the DAC, and only a couple hours, but what I'm hearing is promising.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/12/14 at 14:09:22

what speakers are you using ? always interested in what people are using a 2 watt/ channel amp with.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 02/12/14 at 14:17:30

I'm using ERRs with my Dad's system, using my Eddie Vaughn modded Zen "C" amp to power them in the biggest room I've ever used the ERRs in, and they're doing fine. (Have a CSP2 in use as well which certainly helps).

IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/12/14 at 14:51:49

... I have what I consider to be fantastic speakers (fast, neutral & imaging champs!), and a great value... Omega Super 6 Monitors (hemp / alnico / single driver), and DeepHemp powered sub. Listen nearfield in a small room, with ample GIK acoustic treatments. If you are not familiar with Omega's newer (Alnico) designs, they are worth checking out.

IP Logged
seikosha
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/12/14 at 14:58:38

I run my SE84CKC on Omega Super3XRS speakers in a 11x12 room and for me, the power is sufficient about 95% of the time.  I also have a Mini Torii but overall, I prefer the sound of the SE84.

Mini Torii, SE84UFO, Quicksilver Horn Monos, ZStage, CSP3 Omega Super3XRS, Omega SAM, Omega Junior 8xrs, Cambridge CXC, Shiit Bifrost 2, PS Audio P3 Powerplant
  IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 02/12/14 at 15:07:48

cool on the Super3XRS. I have only heard the older Omega Compact Hemp w/ sub (which I owned), and now my Super 6s. The 6s are much smoother than the Compact Hemps, yet also bring out more texture from the instruments (brushes on snare, bows on strings, felt pads lifting from piano wires). Compared to everything I've owned over the years, the 6s blow me away.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/12/14 at 16:17:02

Kent do you have the super 6 monitors or floor standing speakers?

JD

IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/12/14 at 16:28:00

Monitors on Skyland sand-filled bases, pulled out from all walls. DeepHemp on spiked Timberland Maple base. GIK Tri-corners in front (floor to ceiling in 9 foot room). One GIK Monster bass panel on front wall below pasma TV. Three GIK Monster bass panels on rear wall (centered behind listening chair position). Listening chair pulled well into the room, just past the 1/2 point. And GIK 242 for first reflection. Also a hallway on one side, and open clothes closet on other side of back wall, so essentially there are no back corners in the room. Nearfield listening. Amazing imaging. Have not really heard the speakers with Zen yet. My DAC should arrive tomorrow.

IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 02/19/14 at 01:02:02

…hi everyone. I hope I didn't come across as a snob on the room treatment / system setup stuff, but I'm a firm believer that room (and how the speakers are set) are some of the biggest factors in what you hear.

The DAC finally showed today. Weather delays from last week + the federal holiday, took a 2-day Priority USPS shipment and stretched delivery time to over a week!

One of my goals for this round of system changes is to reduce my $$$ in gear. Certainly the Super Zen is a modest price compared to most regarded amps. My other goal was to embrace a minimalist approach…

My speakers are single-driver, so they are minimalist
I've been using Anti-cable for years, only thing simpler might be coat hangers
So for the DAC I turned back the clock about 4 years and purchased a DAC I already knew and loved. It's a Red Wine Audio's Isabellina NOS (battery operated) DAC.

I picked up a used unit directly from the manufacture. This unit is essentially two generation old in RWA's lineup. But after reading a zillion reviews for new DACs (confusing!) -- and knowing I love this DAC -- I decided that dollar for dollar it would likely be difficult to beat.

As a reference, I moved to this DAC about four yeas ago, paired with an Apple MacBook / USB, coming from a Wadia 830 CDP with some factory mods. So I knew at the time it was a worthy component.

Since then I've had a short bout with a Wavelength Cosecant (hi-rez board only), and the next two iterations of RWA DACs, as upgrades were released by RWA.

I won't try to tell you that the older version sounds as good as the upgraded models, but I can tell you listening mostly to Redbook, putting the $3,500 Wavelength on Agon in favor of this version was an easy decision.

I'm into female vocals and small ensembles, so a quality NOS DAC is what I've liked best of the few I've owned (even compared to RWA's newer Pro (hi-rez) offering when playing Redbook). With NOS I give up a touch of detail, but the tone and timbre on this unit are to die 4!

So now its about 20 days since the Zen arrived, and I've finally begun the burn-in process (I couldn't get the BluRay to repeat a disc, so I'm only at approx. 5 hours now).

I discovered a nifty feature on the Macbook, in you can set it to play stereo audio as mono. So I have my Omega Monitors set face-to-face, and wired out of phase. Zen volume set at 12:00, and the volume is very moderate. Standard voltage for Isabellina is about 1.8 volts. But on Steve's recommendation, I had Vinnie (from RWA) set mine at 2 volts.

It will be this weekend or later before I finally get to hear this new setup -- as we are in the process of having our flooring replaced. So all the bedrooms are torn apart waiting on carpet install later this week. Again due to weather, I'm about a week behind on this project.

Can't wait to hear what this new system sounds like! Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/14 at 10:54:20

breakin, breakin, breakin!!!!!!!! for some reason it takes awhile. Decware IC's ,and Speaker cable,  if the 274 arc use a 5u4 , if theres noise get another 6n1p.

IP Logged
KentOnDrums
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/02/14 at 14:07:51

I don't listen very often, but when I do I now listen as a music lover and not an audiophile. By that I mean I pull out a CD and listen to artist / band rather than searching out the last word word in "can I hear the felt lift off the wires of a closely mic'ed piano?". The sound is very nice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print