Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 21:25:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen Triode Phono vs. Zbox (Read 4077 times)
bobb
Verified Member

Zen Triode Phono vs. Zbox
12/26/13 at 01:44:49

Hello Everybody,

Curious if you can run a Zbox on a turntable?  Is it possible?  If so would it make a difference even in the slightest?

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Zen Triode Phono vs. Zbox
Reply #1 - 12/26/13 at 01:46:22

You could run it in between a phono preamp and an integrated amp or preamp. The difference it would make would depend on many factors: the components, the cabling, etc. If you're using not the greatest equipment and wire, probably an improvement.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bobb
Verified Member

Tori MK IV or Zen Mystery Amp?
Reply #2 - 10/22/16 at 04:27:06

A novice here.  I have an old HK tube amp that is fizzling out and I don't want to spend the $ to repair it.  I keep going back and forth between the MK IV and the Mystery Amp.  Anybody want to throw their two cents in?

Until I can afford it, this amp will run on some basic Klipsch RB 81-II 97db speakers.  Nothing fancy until I can upgrade to some Decware speakers.

So until then, which amp would power an old 1991 Sony CDP Carousel disc player.  An old 1997 Technics SL1200 turntable and at some point some 24-bit songs which I don't have many of.  I mostly play cd's and records at this point.  

Would even hook up the iPhone to run my sirius satellite radio through it for kicks. Also at times throw the iPod on.  BUT I would still mainly play cd's and records.

Does either amp let you be more choosey with treble/bass or is that more a part of tube rolling?  My old HK tube amp had separate bass/treble and even a mono/stereo dial which was a big deal in 1962.

Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 10/22/16 at 06:02:12

Bob....when I was looking into a Zstage or the Zbox, I called and talked to Steve.  At the time I was looking to run music off of my iPad / iPod.    Steve indicated that due to to low voltage output, the Zstage would be the better choice for my application.  

With the low voltage output of a turntable, the Zstage may be a better consideration than the Zbox, but the Zen ZP3 is probably your best choice....depending on the rest of your equipment.  There are a lot of good choices to choose from in the Decware line....take the advice of guys like Lon and other seasoned members, then give Steve a call as the final decision.  

I can say that adding the Zstage did wonders for my music running an SS Integrated amp....which is going to get replaced by a Torii MKIV in the near future.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 10/22/16 at 11:34:12

Bob B,
Either amp should give you plenty of power with those speakers I would think. There has been unanimous praise for the Mystery Amp, and near unanimous praise for the the Torii Mk IV. I don't believe the Mystery Amp has any "tone controls," Torii Mk IV does. So that may be a determining factor. I know I use my tone controls daily and wouldn't want to have a system without them. I don't do computer audio, so no EQ'ing that way, and I need to have some control to enjoy all my recordings.

Please note that you will need a separate phono preamp if you don't have one currently to enjoy your turntable, these are not built into the amps. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print