Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 09:06:23 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Frustrating SET Bashers (Read 4430 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Frustrating SET Bashers
12/25/13 at 04:41:04

So, I was doing some research, and I stumbled into this thread that I find so frustrating.

How exactly do you debate the educated, skilled, measurement types when they bash SET amps as "bad" from the get-go?

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/amps-pre-pros-receivers/72006-mysteries-set...

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Frustrating SET Bashers
Reply #1 - 12/25/13 at 05:10:56

No debate necessary !
Science also states bumblebees can't possibly fly, either !!
Merry Christmas to all.

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/25/13 at 05:20:11

That thread is from almost 3 years ago, so I'm guessing they're no longer debating.   Smiley

But seriously, who cares? I love my SE34.2+, and don't really care if the measurements prove it's a "good" amp. I also love my Modwright LS-100, and most other 6SN7 preamps I've heard, despite the "non-linear" characteristics of the 6SN7. And don't even mention my Zu Druids, plenty think they couldn't possibly sound like anything but crap!

It's like arguing religion, much rhetoric but few minds are changed. Be confident in what you hear, and pick equipment that gives you a pleasing sound. Then enjoy the music, and don't look back or apologize or feel the need to defend it.

At least until the upgrade bug hits.    ;D

David

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 12/25/13 at 16:21:11

Pick your Illusion!  I choose Decware, for my ear to brain connection. It's in the Harmonics...my brain needs.

Just let the spec types Listen to their odd order Sand Amps. I have had some of the best so called Sand Amps in my Listening Room and could not wait to get them out/returned!

As Steve mentioned: let them voice their Amps with a Scope. ....that is akin to Tuning a Piano with Plunger.     -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 12/25/13 at 16:39:29

I agree with you all, but it's threads and people like that which chase away real music lovers who otherwise might have found real audio nirvana.

Then again, the measurement guy doesn't have any room treatment, that's all I need to to see that he doesn't know what he's talking about...

Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/25/13 at 20:11:45

Apprenticed to STC in the early `70`s I never even knew they had anything to do with valves. By then it was all trannys and the new IC`s. Studying all 3 was a chore but the valve diagrams always sparked the imagination more than the in/out of transistors.. They were treated as times gone by. So easy to just go with the flow, you thought transistors were better, but deep down, when it came to audio, tubes were the end game.... later on when you could catch your breath. All those electrons flowing in 3D (maybe 4). It`s like a homecoming. Definitely more fun as well, and with Steves amps its a joy.
lol It`s good it`s a `one stop shop`
for amps. No signature,reference, anniversary,etc upgrades.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/27/13 at 16:30:44

Musicality is an elusive goal... Sometimes it's an amplifier's anomalies that make it musical... Very subjective territory for sure... But my ears don't lie... I am a pianist and long-time Hi Fi buff... And I know what instruments in the orchestra should sound like...

Also, SETs definitely add something to the recordings... Who can say exactly what... But it is pleasing to my ear... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #7 - 12/27/13 at 17:37:33

you get "results" for what you measure.  I purport, that the objectivists have not yet discovered "what" attribute(or at least all attributes) of sound reproduction are responsible for making our ears/brains think that the sound from tube amps is more real and lifelike sounding.  I think we know that tube amps even order harmonics are “natural” and sandamp odd-order harmonics are not…. But I suspect there is even more to it than that.  But who cares!?… let them waste time arguing about it, while I’m enjoying music!  I have chosen with my ears, and I chose Decware amps and high-sensitivity, crossoverless, full-rangers to get me the closest to “live” that I have yet experienced….

Grin

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/28/13 at 19:49:40

It's important not to confuse objectivists with science or scientists. These things are not remotely the same.

From my experiences with objectivists in the 'sound science' forum of head-fi, most confuse their subjective personality preferences (for an orderly, black/white world?) with the 'objective' frameworks they know a little bit about.

Just because - on this platform - they assert a superior position doesn't mean it is.

IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 12/28/13 at 23:13:43

I remember a time, many years ago, when measurements drove the sale of audio gear.  And measurements nearly drove the business into the ground.

Yes, the numbers are important and yes they have meaning.  All is trumped, however, by the reality that we seek to reproduce and hear (listen to) the sound of an event passed and gone.  Do not rely solely on what is measurable, because that is not the event.  

Enjoy the music, or enjoy the measurements.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/29/13 at 19:12:39

There is one undeniable truth in this hobby:  One can always find someone who feels that any component is flawed!  The internet has only served to allow us access to find/read more of those folks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 12/29/13 at 19:38:51

Yeah, on a jazz board I'm trying hard not to argue with a few people (one an electrical engineer so he's sure he's talking the gospel truth) who are trying to convince everyone that wire of any kind makes no difference, and what's more they can hear no difference. If I hear a difference, I'm making it up.

It never occurs to these people that perhaps they can't hear the difference. They go through the roof if you suggest that. But we're supposed to calmly accept that we are making ourselves believe we hear differences.

I'm learning to just let them spout their stuff unchallenged. The hard way.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/29/13 at 20:27:45

Hate to admit it but I have been listening to music since five AM.  In my defense it is a gloomy, cold and blustery day outside.  My house is clean and all the laundry is done and put away.

Just poured a glass of Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon.  The little SET amp has seen many different artist's today.  If the recording was good the sound is excellent.

Is that not what we are looking for?

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/30/13 at 17:49:30

Yeah, just like the dogmatic defenders of prevailing engineering dogma, I find some of the magical thinking on the part of some SET proponents is equally frustrating.  Lon should try a real ABX comparison with his cherished magic wires, maybe after visiting an audiologist to confirm his super-human hearing. Roll Eyes  Good grief, man.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/30/13 at 18:58:40

Now, Now children!  Let's play nice in the Decware Sandbox...hehe. There's room enough for everyone here...Believers and non-believers alike. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 12/30/13 at 19:49:01

ski, I have done comparisons with previous wires, pretty confident of my findings. But it doesn't matter if you don't approve. I'm enjoying the benefits.

I'm done with the main system. Really enjoying how wonderful it sounds with the cabling I have.

Oh, and just to clarify: I'm an SET supporter, but I listen to push-pull.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/30/13 at 21:41:15

Believer/non-believer is a false equivalence when actual evidence is available supporting one side of the debate but not the other.

I don't believe in audiophile mythology, and if you disapprove, that's ok.  I'm enjoying the benefits.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 12/30/13 at 22:04:36

I don't believe in audiophile mythology either. I believe in what my ears tell me.

I neither approve or disapprove about objectivist/subjectivist. I just don't approve of someone telling me my ears are lying to me. Which some do.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #18 - 12/30/13 at 22:44:59

Yeah, some things.... I can't fully explain the things I hear. Maybe not everything we are doing has a defined way to quantify and measure at this time? How do you measure sound that's so "liquid" and "has weight", it's almost a fluid rushing from the speakers in a visceral sense? I've had that experience with a Decware amp and speakers, and I can barely describe it, let alone guess how to measure for it!

While I *know* I used to have above average hearing, I'm pretty sure that's going downhill pretty quickly at 42. But with the "training" I've put myself through (which is a fancy way of saying "listening and paying attention"), I've retained a lot of listening skills through my declining hearing. I can, and do still hear differences in speaker cables and interconnects and of course tubes. I've yet to hear any differences in power cords; *assuming* we aren't talking about one that's intentionally doing something to the current, or is substandard. IMHO - a cables goal is to do the least amount of damage to the signal going from point A to point B. Hell, I think that's the point of the slide-rule and scope audio guys - all equipment should send the signal unmolested from point A to point B - but I really don't think that's how bringing the music *alive* works...and that's what they aren't getting.

On the plus side, I got a great compliment form Steve at Decfest; he said something along the lines of "Eric hears things the way I hear things".

:)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #19 - 12/30/13 at 23:13:57

I am a Kimber Select fan.

I have found 2 pair of Speakers and now with the addition of my Gallo 3.1's...I have 3 pair of Speakers at modest efficiency that can actually play very well with my SE84CS & SuperZen CKC. It is nice to see the Martin Logan Thread and how they can play too. I know their was a gentleman using Von Swag's and of course the gentlemen with the Decware Mono Blocks with Wilson's with Kimber Select.

My point being....it is the matching of components and cables. Kimber Select is lost on Hi-Efficiency Speakers for me as an example. Plus, I just don't prefer Hi-Eff Speaks. Those that say their is no difference in cables...I can't relate to those people. My Kimber KS1030 & KS3035 in my Listening Room & Kimber Hero & KS3033 in my bedroom System are so liquid and lush' holographic with my Decware Amps and for my tastes...I could not be without them.  -S

PS-Kimber has been selling the Select Line to Music Lover's for 15 years now. From my observations, the majority of Kimber's customers are not people with "F-you money" (as that saying goes).  I don't have F-you money.....so my Select Cables have been a great investment.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 12/31/13 at 00:59:42

Lon, your ears are very likely deceiving you, believe it or not.  Don't take that as a personal criticism, it's simply human nature.  I'm not sure why you would be so testy at your engineer friend on the jazz forum, or me, on such a settled topic as the mutability of human perception.  It's basic cognitive science.  You seem as in denial about that branch of science as you are on basic electrical theory on the wire thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 12/31/13 at 01:23:11

Ski bum, I didn't come to this lightly, and I've had others listening with me and apart from me that have come to similar conclusions. Sorry, I'm not taking your word, or anyone else's about what I hear or can't hear. And electrical science may not encompass all the knowledge taken to explain these differences. Regardless I respect your opinion but it is not lessening either my own experiential knowledge and conclusions, nor my enjoyment of the improvements.

The bottom line is that I don't WANT to hear improvements, but do, and I trust my own senses and experiences. I don't think "basic cognitive science" is as definitive or comprehensive as some others do.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 12/31/13 at 06:01:49

Ski bum,

This forum is fantastic because people share their beliefs and musical interests.  Take from it or leave it alone no judgement either way.  Negativity is unnecessary. It's totally cool to believe in something else just don't challenge someone else's belief.  You hear what you hear...let it be.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 12/31/13 at 06:44:04

Quote:
The bottom line is that I don't WANT to hear improvements, but do, and I trust my own senses and experiences. I don't think "basic cognitive science" is as definitive or comprehensive as some others do.

That about sums it up for me as well...I'm a huge skeptic; everything has to prove itself to me or *out it goes*.

I was really thinking those Herbie's Tube Dampers were just another toy, though I could see how they *could* work. The change was surprising enough that I put in a $340 order on other stuff to try out (which also has to prove itself or it goes back!).

Steve's Zen Styx are another product I was skeptical of...Steve said this wire is good out to 40' before it starts to affect the sound, and is otherwise the best bang for the buck in neutrality. Sure, that all sounds great, but how does it sound when the rubber meets the road in my place? yeah, I have that wire now, and started making power cables from it as well (though as I've said, not hearing power cables making a difference in my current system).

So now I'm going to see about the PS Audio Power Plant things....see if they can prove themselves to me...especially at that crazy cost that I wouldn't otherwise be paying (or affording honestly).

jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 12/31/13 at 12:32:44

Coming up on 40 years that I have been in this Mayhem of listening to audio equipment and changing this amp or that speaker ,or those interconnects. NEVER happy with the results, driving miles and miles to hear this or that. getting false opinions from store owners , just so they could sell their equipment and make a buck. And again NEVER happy. Enter SET and single driver speakers. The same things that made those floor standing radios when I was a kid sound so good . Oh we are not here to talk about single driver speakers ,however they do go hand in hand. This is OLD technology , maybe the oldest technology. Shame on them for bashing technology that started it all. 2 watts and 95 DB drivers , Ill take that all day. Shame!!! Happy New Year  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 12/31/13 at 13:02:28

Eric, Glad the Herbie's Audio Lab material has proven their usefulness to you!

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 12/31/13 at 14:14:26

Using Lon's logic, the world must be flat.  It sure doesn't look spherical, at least not from where I'm standing, so therefore science is wrong and the world is flat.  I'm going with what my eyes tell me, as I have super-human vision, and nobody will convince me otherwise!

SMH

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 12/31/13 at 14:27:50

NO, where I am it's hilly, not flat.

Nowhere do I claim I have superhuman anything. But if some others can't hear what I hear, and some others do, there could be a variation in hearing skills within the norm. That's a conclusion I can come to with logic.

Whatever ski. No offense, but logic isn't all to life, and I trust my senses in things audio. And I'm not alone. As long as we're both enjoying what we hear our lives are enriched.  I'd appreciate if you would stop mocking me.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 12/31/13 at 15:06:19

Ski bum,

I'm by no means an authority on any thing and I plan on keeping it that way. Life is to short to argue and analyze things to death. I do like to hear others observations and can also learn something from them on occasions. Nothing is worth getting in a Pi%@# match over. I have personally heard differences in speaker wire and I don't mean $1,000 dollar wire more like Radio Shacks special wire. From different strand thicknesses to different gauge sizes. Mainly in the treble and bass and some resolution of the sound so I do believe there are audible differences in certain wire. I have no experience with super high end products do to not being worth it to me. The differences to me do not necessarily justify the cost but you shouldn't bash someone for having the ability to search and seek the available products that are out there and tell what they have learned. I'm grateful for those that do it keeps me from the need to purchase some of those things that I really can't afford personally but through them I do get to experience what they are experiencing and that is a great thing. Please I appreciate your position on what you believe but also appreciate others for what they believe.

Its all about enjoying music or enjoying the music along with the equipment as a hobby or whatever doesn't matter. Its about the expansion of thought that a lot of us have on this sight try not to be to narrow is my feelings! As long as were here to enjoy things life is good. My father is in the hospital in bad shape that would be the other! That's the bad half of a good life.
    Hey all have a good day and keep on spinning them!

Have a Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Grin

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #29 - 12/31/13 at 15:26:57

Digger, sorry to hear about your Dad, I'm struggling to keep mine out of the hospital. Hope his situation improves. Happy new year!

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 12/31/13 at 15:38:57

Lon,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. It seems that we are very closely seeing the the other part of life and it is tough seeing your loved ones going through it. Our time is also coming. Good luck with your father!
My fathers time is close and he has some tough decisions to make over the next couple of days. He will be 80 tomorrow.

You also Have a Happy New Year!

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #31 - 12/31/13 at 16:15:33

Happy New Years guys - you and your families will be in our thoughts.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 12/31/13 at 16:26:35

Ditto from me to Lon & Digger. I have aging parent whom live with me the first week of May through the first week of October. They spend the Winter in South Texas where my aunt & uncle help.

Everyone have a Happy New Year! Enjoy some music. I am cleaning some Vinyl later after I run some errands. My girl friend and I will be spinning them tonight (home/body NYEve)!   Cheers, Stone of Tone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 12/31/13 at 16:38:42

LonelyRaven,

Just wanted to post a reply to your posting about understanding what your hearing and everyone being different. Like you I have worked in multiple different industries over the years and have experienced a lot of different things involving people and how differently we all perceive things to be. An awful lot has to do with our systems compatible parts do they all work together for the best or do we have weak links to them effecting what we hear.
      I left my construction job some years back and took a position selling High end wines for a local distributor. I had a book full of great wines Opus 1, Fransican, Silver Oak and many others. The funny thing about the differences in peoples perception of taste is very similar to Music and what we hear and we all hear stuff very differently if taken over enough samples of people. I used to do blind tastings say 10-20 people at a time and I would have them all taste the wines and write down what they were tasting as far as the different fruits and wood flavors as detailed as they possibly could. Keep in mind we have expert tasters with notes stating what they will taste. It was funny that usually about 1/2 of the crowd would agree with the professional tasters notes and the other half were all tasting something totally different and there notes didn't agree with the scientific results of a professional taster. Now I don't think that the logic of science takes this into consideration and every thing is black and white to them. They don't understand humans and human nature and the differences in senses they have not been able to duplicate a model for all and I seriously doubt they ever will at least in my lifetime. In this regard I believe we all have different levels of senses that allows many to experience things in life very differently.
It was a very good experience leaving construction but have since returned back to my god given talent appreciating all of the experiences that I had gained from it.
      Music is like wine in that business we used to call it very subjective and that truly is what music is as far as every ones difference in what they hear. Just thought I'd share this to support your reply.

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #34 - 12/31/13 at 17:05:19

I could not agree more Digger. Larry Archibald....whom owned Stereophile out of Santa Fe NM...was/is quite the Wine Connoisseur ...and wrote extensively about what you just said 21 & 28 years ago.
..........the Cable Wars too....AND if this Solid State Amp is right this Tube Amp must be Wrong...cover issue....Stereophile (years ago).  

So, the Ski Bums of the world...I addressed a quarter Century ago. I have 28 years experience...some people have one years experience 28 times.  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 12/31/13 at 17:23:36

You're right, Lon, I'm out of line to single you out, so I offer my apologies.  Sorry for being a buzz kill.  And Stone-of-Tone, based on your other posts, we're not so different in our perspectives.  I find myself nodding in agreement with a lot of what you contribute.      

That all being said, I don't think it's out of line to question folks beliefs.  Lots of folks believe some ridiculous things that have no basis in reality and deserve to be challenged.  Look at our elected officials, for example.  They actually deserve more than hard questions...pitch and feathers seems more appropriate to me most days, if not straight up prison time.  Pack of idiots, all of them, and voted into power by a gullible society that values truthiness over reason and reality.  

If those beliefs are stated as fact and are concerning a quantifiable reductive endeavor, such as music playback on audio systems, then their claims are open to question and criticism, strictly on technical merits.  If they're merely stating personal preference, there is no argument to be made.

And people are rude in cyberspace, including me. Embarrassed

So if an objectivist frustrates you by berating your chosen amps, tell them that you simply like distortion and it will stop them in their tracks.  Kind of like asking a wire believer to do an ABX test leads to a hasty retreat from the challenge.  Then everyone can go back to their music and live happily ever after in their tunnel realities where they are not confronted with uncomfortable questions. Roll Eyes

[Wow, I'm cynical today.  I need my team to win a freakin game, I've got sports-fan affective disorder and it's making me very chippy!]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 12/31/13 at 17:31:14

I have done ABX tests in the past, and identified wire correctly. I find a lot of these things hurled by objectivists to be protectionist twaddle. So tired of the superior attitude of some of them and I have begun to think they're feeding their prejudices and justifying their unwillingness to spend money.* So I bristle now when I end up in their sights.

*Just my take from years of this same stuff spewed out over and over that does not match my own individual experience. It just seems so silly.

Anyone is welcome to their opinion, and no one has to agree with them. That's how I operate.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 12/31/13 at 18:00:32

I too have participated in one of those awful ABX tests.  (There has never been a listening session devised more bereft of joy or pleasure as an ABX test.)  

But I had a different experience and came to different conclusions.  It's saved me hundreds, perhaps thousands, over those who buy the cable myth, and frankly there are much better uses for that money.

I'm surprised my view is such a minority at Decware forums.  Part of the appeal of Decware is the value proposition, so I would expect posters to be more supportive about the least expensive, most direct route to the compelling illusion we're all after.  Wasting resources where audible differences are questionable at best and illusory at worst is a detour, a potentially wildly expensive digression, and shows more compulsive behavior about the gear and minutia than a genuine appreciation of the music.  Audiophile nervosa.  Monster's business plan.  It works.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 12/31/13 at 18:07:31

No more coffee for me today! Unless its Decaf.

Grin

Cool

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 12/31/13 at 18:16:42

My next cup will be half Irish cream...

Sorry for the contentiousness folks.  I'm taking a break.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 12/31/13 at 18:26:27

SkiBum

I think for some it is there hobby of choice so they will spend on equipment to make it the best it can be. With that being said we all should be able to understand it. If I didn't have the other hobby interests that I have I may be a whole lot more willing to spend the money on equipment a bit more freely. My summer hobby's tend to suck up a bit more money than my music interests. I will say there will probably be a day when I give them up and will put additional money into my music equipment and it wouldn't bother me a bit. You have to have some type of a release in life and a reason to get out of bed and go to work besides just eating. At least that is my feelings getting thru another day. All depends on your needs and priorities in life and timing is everything.

Cool

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 12/31/13 at 18:28:11

SkiBum,

That Irish Creme really does sound good!

Have a Happy New Year!

Grin

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 12/31/13 at 18:56:12

ski bum wrote on 12/31/13 at 18:00:32:
I too have participated in one of those awful ABX tests.  (There has never been a listening session devised more bereft of joy or pleasure as an ABX test.)  

But I had a different experience and came to different conclusions.  It's saved me hundreds, perhaps thousands, over those who buy the cable myth, and frankly there are much better uses for that money.

I'm surprised my view is such a minority at Decware forums.  Part of the appeal of Decware is the value proposition, so I would expect posters to be more supportive about the least expensive, most direct route to the compelling illusion we're all after.  Wasting resources where audible differences are questionable at best and illusory at worst is a detour, a potentially wildly expensive digression, and shows more compulsive behavior about the gear and minutia than a genuine appreciation of the music.  Audiophile nervosa.  Monster's business plan.  It works.

Or perhaps you'r hearing is different. Or perhaps your desire for the myths to be untrue is so strong that it has influenced what you perceive.

I've spent far far more on music than equipment, so I'm not a hardware fetishist. I want to get closer to the music. Power, isolation and wire experimentation have shown me that I can as all these are not uniform. One doesn't have to spend megabucks, but wire is different one from the other, and I've not been unconvinced of that.

We can each own our opinions and listening abilities and music collections and enjoy the hobby. Happy new year.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 12/31/13 at 19:00:59

I wouldn`t normally have posted this...but in the context it seems ok.
You listen to your Decware set up....oh this is just great.
Days later, it`s your norm,
do you just keep with it,
drop a different tube in somewhere,
Or                        (if you already have v/g stuff)
get fidgety
and check out cable manufactures....I would mind trying those,
power cables...ditto
and on and on whenever a great sound gets to be the `norm`

Envious, of course, in small letters......and not envious equally.
I`ve learned to sit still and appreciate and not get drawn too much,
knowing the reasons for wandering.

lol the vibration gear is gnawing me.

As for distortion....what distortion, every time I play the same record it`s a different take = detail + SET magic

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #44 - 12/31/13 at 19:33:22

Quote:

But see, that's exactly the point...to these Decware folks, the proof is in the playback.  :D

Again, I'm super skeptical - everything in my system has to have proven itself in A/B testing in my system.

I have a good friend who's been loosely on this journey with me since I got my first Zen Amp 15 years ago. I *know* he hears and enjoys music differently than me (for some reason he loves sitting really, really near field between the speakers - almost like he's trying to replicate headphone sound  :-?). But I'll give him a hand-full of cables, my hand made ones that I'm very proud of, my Decware Silver Reference, Some "high end" Monster Cable, and whatever else I can find. I've already listened to this stuff and have my own notes on my own system, I simply hand him a box of cables and ask him to report back to me. And guess what, he comes back with almost exactly the same notes that I have, and picks the same two cables as his favorites as I did - and not by looks either, because I left my favorite cable a bit "unfinished" vs some of my other hand made cables.

So yes, when the proof is in the playback, and my friend comes back with the same notes as me, that says something.

I also know (or at least have a strong suspicion, judging from our dialog) that if I sent these same cables to Lon, except for one that I know is complete crap, Lon would probably pick a different cable as his favorite and least favorite because his listening preference is different than mine...but I bet his notes would be pretty close to mine because the differences are there.

So, back to the Decware thing...yes, Steve started this out to be a the everyman's affordable amp gear, but when you get to a certain point, you have no choice but to spend money to get really nice...whatever. There are some very talented people out there who really listen, and have figured out what works and what's crap and developed real products that, unfortunately, cost a bit to produce and cost a bit to keep them in business.

I will gladly A/B test lamp cord, vs Decware Styx, vs whatever. Granted the closer you get to "doesn't damage the signal at all" the more the cables will start to sound alike - but there is no way lamp cord is going to sound better than my Styx. I know, because I've already gone though the tests myself. Lampcord vs Monster, vs "high end monster" vs CAT5 vs 10 gauge Romex vs....I don't know, I've lost count. You can't tell me there isn't a difference.

Ok, I'm rambling again, too much coffee for me as well, and I have a 3 hours drive home.

Talk to you all later!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #45 - 12/31/13 at 19:54:24

Marky, you raise some good points. I go through phases and they are usually marked/fueled by component changes. Each upgrade in that arena means an opportunity to maximize sound quality by experimentation. And then I find a plateau of excellent sound and relax into it.

I've gone top to bottom the last few years with my system due to having some extra dollars and I'm at a point where I don't want to make any further changes, this new plateau has me able to listen to most of my material with wonderful abandon and the really well recorded stuff is just stellar. Soon I'll swap my new HR-1s out for the original pair and see if there's a significant difference there.

I think this plateau will be a long lasting one, especially as my time in front of the system is so challenged, and so deeply enjoyed when in swing..

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 12/31/13 at 22:05:37

Hi Lon, I was just wondering if you have experimented with room correction devices such as diffusors, etc.? (I know you use isolation devices like Herbie's, but what about the big picture as in the actual room?)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 12/31/13 at 23:43:54

No I haven't Hans. For a long time it was verboten in my household by my other half, and as I had a living-room dining-room setup I just couldn't figure out how to incorporate it and still live in the room, so I have not explored that. Now I rent and have a very small living area and I'm not doing that either.

I know also that some of my cabling and other choices might change with room conditioning. . . it's just not an avenue I am likely to explore. I probably have compensated somewhat via other means. I already spend enough time futzing, don't seem myself futzing into that new realm any time soon (in large part because I don't see myself becoming a home-owner again any time soon).

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 01/01/14 at 02:31:06

That makes sense Lon.  I rent too and don't have the luxury of a dedicated listening area ... and truth be told that's not the way I like to enjoy my music or movies anyways.  I like to listen (or watch) while I'm cooking and or bonding with my son, etc.  My main system is in a great room though (with no fourth wall so to speak as it's open to the kitchen).  But still I know I should be doing a few things that would/could improve the sound.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 01/05/14 at 22:54:50

Hi, All that have been following this thread. I recently received some power cables from Audio Advisor that I had read a lot of positive feedback . I picked up a Pangea Audio-AC-9 Power cable for my Jolida 502P and an Pangea Audio-AC-14-SE Power cable for the CSP3 in my system. I wasn't real thrilled with the stock power cords but didn't want to spend a fortune on power cords either. So far I am very happy with the performance of both in the system. After all of the previous discussions about cables and all I figured I'd go ahead and post my impressions on these power cords. The criteria that I was most interested in finding in a cable was its shielding and these are both shielded and both do a very good job in the noise reduction department. There have been no negative issues induced into the sound from these cables at least nothing to mention. Here is what I have noticed as being different than the stock cables. The system seems to have a blacker back ground along with a bit deeper bass thump and a bit more articulation in the highs. These are the impressions so far from adding these cables into the system as of now only about 15 hours of usage on them so not sure if these will have any burn in time required. These are sure a major step up from stock and didn't break the bank to get there so I figure these will be keepers. These cables are rather impressively made and the AC-9 is massive in size. My goal is to make reasonable up grades to the system enough to say good enough and these do the job.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Pangea-Audio-AC-9-Power-Cable/productinfo/PGAC9/#.Us...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/Pangea-Audio-AC-14-Signature-Power-Cable/productinfo...

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print