Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:08:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZP3 with low sensitivity speakers (86db)? (Read 8029 times)
LeFischer
Verified Member

ZP3 with low sensitivity speakers (86db)?
12/22/13 at 11:05:07

Hi guys!

I want to buy the highly recommended ZP3!

I have a Unison research turntable (reworked Clearaudio) with a good tonearm and cartridge (Clearaudio Maestro-MM)

I have wonderful speakers (Sonus Faber) but they are of low sensitivity (86db).

Do you think that the ZP3 with low gain (43db) will produce a too thin sound in my system?

All the best (and Happy Christmas)
Leo

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: ZP3 with low sensitivity speakers (86db)?
Reply #1 - 12/22/13 at 19:22:58

Hi Leo,  I've been using a ZP3 with a Clearaudio Wood-bodied Virtuoso MM cartridge (on a modded Rega 25), for several years.  It sounds great! Plenty of gain with my Torii Mark III/IV conversion and ten year old Legacy Audio Signature III's (93 db)

I like the cartridge/ZP3 combination enough, that I'll be purchasing the latest  Maestro cartridge in 2014.

A friend just purchased new in box Sonus Faber speakers from Best Buy in Seattle.  Beautiful woodwork, and they do sound very nice.  He's using an Ayre amp/preamp (100 watts per channel?) to drive them.

Not sure exactly how the ZP3 will sound in your set-up (depends on your amplification, of course).

IP Logged
LeFischer
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/22/13 at 20:10:59

Thanks so much for your interesting experience with the combination Clearaudio Maestro and the ZP3! Your speakers are of higher sensitivity!
Did you have some hum?

By the way, my amplifier is a tube amplifier made by Unison research, called Simply Italy. The amplifier has only 12 watts per channel but works really fine with my low efficiency Sonus Faber speakers.

So, the ZP3 with its low gain may it offer dynamics and transparency in such a system? I know that is not easy to predict.

Kind regards
Leo

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/23/13 at 00:25:56

Hi Leo, No hum from the ZP3 with my speakers.  

However it is very dependent on the tubes one uses in the ZP3. I've had very good results with Baldwin labeled Raytheon 12AX7's (late 50's, early 60's).  These sounded better and were quieter than other tubes I've tried (1959 Amperex, 60's military Mullards).

I'm glad your Simply Italy amp works well with the Sonus Fabers.  Are you listening to classical and/or jazz music?

The ZP3 MAY work well in your system. You should give Steve at Decware a phone call and ask him.    Don't email, you'll reach him much easier if you call.

Mike in Seattle

IP Logged
LeFischer
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/23/13 at 05:16:03

Thanks Mike!

Interesting how tube rolling influenced hum. I know the Mullards (military long plates 50's). Very warm but a bit too much bass. I was much happier with Tesla NOS which I got from a friendly dealer in Bellevue.

You are right! I should give Steve a call!

All the best
Leo

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/23/13 at 15:50:34

Leo,  I have purchased tubes this year, from a dealer in Bellevue.  Very nice tubes, and the fact that he tests and listens to them in preamps, etc., makes a big difference.  Quiet 12AX7's are desirable for the ZP3.

Merry Christmas!

Mike in Seattle area (very close to Bellevue)

IP Logged
LeFischer
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/23/13 at 18:49:19

That is great Mike! Obviously, we have the same dealer! (What a small world we live in!)

Thanks for your advice concerning quiet 12AX7's

Merry Christmas!

Leo (from Austria)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print