Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 15:55:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upcoming Oppo Heaphone amp and so much more. (Read 9423 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Upcoming Oppo Heaphone amp and so much more.
12/17/13 at 18:52:53

Although I'm not an Oppo guy, I thought I'd point out an upcoming Oppo product that some here might be interested in.

The HA-1 headphone amp, but also a preamp, and DAC.  

http://www.oppodigital.com/future/HA-1_Headphone_Amplifier.aspx

Could be a good preamp with remote control for those looking for those, and seems to be a very versatile product (wett, it's Oppo!)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Re: Upcoming Oppo Heaphone amp and so much more.
Reply #1 - 12/17/13 at 19:18:14

Lon,
      This thing looks like its capable of doing it all. It will be interesting to hear some user reviews on these when they are available. Price TBD any guesses? Anyone. The only thing it is lacking for me is tubes. With my current set up there is no replacement for the CSP3. It sure is an interesting piece for the right individual.

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/17/13 at 20:06:52

Not heard an idea for a price, and I have no need for it as I have three CSP2+ that I LOVE. . . . But yes, for the right person quite a tool.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/17/13 at 20:11:39

I'm not a headphones listener. I'd really need one with some sort of cross-talk to simulate the soundstage, rather than have that headstage. I don't like the miniature band playing between my ears!

I'm interested in hearing what their headphones sound like though!

For those who are unfamiliar, the Oppo gear is known for having really great Signal to Noise ratios, and being sonically neutral.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/13 at 20:25:36

If the Oppo had PEQ, hp/lp filters, and a pair of sub outs, I would get a couple right now.  I have a 2.1 rig in one room, and a 2.2 in another.  I'm sure a lot of other folks use subs in their two channel rigs.  I use a sub with my office/desktop rig too, so make that three lost opportunities in my case alone.  C'mon, Oppo, you're close but missing an obvious part of the market, all of us using subs in our two channel rigs!  /weak sauce rant...it's aimed at the headphone user.

IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/17/13 at 21:03:31

SkiBum,
     You could always put signal splitters on the Analog outs and run your subs that way. In the past I have run a tri-amp system that way. I run my source into a Marantz 2325 splitter at the 2325 dropped down to a Marantz 2250 splitter there to my subwoofer amp. I know it isn't an ideal way to do it but I had never noticed any negative effects on the sound it produced. I have to say that at first I didn't know if it was a good idea for the voltages that are concerned on the different inputs or if it would cause problems. You would think some where down stream it would of been noticeable.  If all the bells and whistles aren't important to you the CSP3 has a sub out!!! Course there is no remote or Dac built into it. Just putting a plug in for Decware awfully fine sound.

Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/18/13 at 03:44:59

Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #7 - 12/18/13 at 08:44:14

Oppo has deep pockets ( like the Sony of old) and so I'd expect it to be a great SS amp.

However I agree with Digger.

The weakness is the lack of tubes.

Modwright Oppo tube mods are therefore likely to make this a serious competitor against other tube amps.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/18/13 at 17:24:53

I don't see a lack of tubes as a weakness.  Tube amps coupled to speakers elicits more of the "tube sound" that I crave.  I personally prefer the front end as clean as possible.  Am I an oddity around here?  Don't answer that.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 12/18/13 at 18:39:59

I'm the same way, but then again, I like a very neutral - detailed presentation. I don't like my sound to be rounded off to make poor recordings sound better. I'd rather just seek out better recordings.

Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/18/13 at 23:41:13

SkiBum,
    I appreciate your position and your opinion! My last two experiences with SS preamp's hasn't been all that favorable. Not that the sound was horrible or anything I just felt that it was lacking. My McIntosh pre has great base and mid-range but seems very rolled off on the top. Just not a very balanced sound for me but mids are excellent. The other was a Rotel 995 great clear pristine sound but carried no bass. All most a bit fatiguing in the highs. It seems as though the CSP3 has been giving it all in large doses something that I have never found in SS preamps. A friend has a very nice Audio Research rig and I felt much the same way when I've listened to it although it does have a more balanced presentation. All that really matters is we are enjoying what we are doing. Just think if everyone liked the same equipment we wouldn't have the need for the selection that we all are lucky to have. This is the fun of it comparing notes otherwise we wouldn't have anything to talk about. A lot depends on the speakers your running also the Mac isn't to bad on brighter sounding speakers everything seems to hinge on the match up.

Happy Listening!

No one is more correct about what you should like than you!

Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print