Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 12:53:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube-rolling Tube Rectifiers? Check this out!!! (Read 12728 times)
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Tube-rolling Tube Rectifiers? Check this out!!!
12/13/13 at 02:47:13

Hi,

For all tube newbies and veterans out there, someone over at Head-Fi Forum has started what is possibly, IMHO, the greatest Rectifier rolling thread ever!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-re...

It is a great summary of the greatest and more common tube rectifiers available for sale.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Tube-rolling Tube Rectifiers? Check this out!!!
Reply #1 - 12/13/13 at 15:45:37

Wow, and she's a Chicago girl that says she's a Particle Accelerator technician (probably at Fermi Lab if it's true!).

I think I might be smitten!   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/13/13 at 16:16:04

Oh goody, scrolled down a little and pics of W Electric rec.
Looks like a good evenings perusal. Later.... Cool

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/13/13 at 16:40:38

I noticed how highly she rated the RCA 5U4G.  The one she reviewed is a civilian production 1940's smooth plate bottom getter.  I do like that tube in Torii amps.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/13/13 at 17:08:20

Has anyone had any luck or tried running the mullard gz32's in the torii III, ZP3 or csp2+?

THanks

JD

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #5 - 12/19/13 at 16:56:28

thanks for running this.  i ordered 3 of the RCA's.  i gave some thought to the GECs, but just can't pony up that money. the rca's were about $150 for one pair and a singleton (needed for phono pre).

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/19/13 at 21:31:30

I had a Mullard GZ34 in an outgoing amp and tried it in the CSP2+. Not keen at all on it. Smaller sound if I remember.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #7 - 12/22/13 at 14:45:03

got the rca's for the amp.  i must say that the improvement was immediate.  already clear went to clearer and layers went to more layering.  they sounded like the el34s were back in, but with the power of the kt66.  can't wait to hear what one does for the phonopre, probably tomorrow.  when i look at these tubes to compare, my theory as to why the old ones beat the chinese tubes is the construction.  the glass is thicker, but there is a glass support from the base of the tube that supports the wires that lead to the plates that is absent on the chinese tubes.  so, my theory is that the rigidity of the construction of the old tubes quells the microdynamic vibration thus allowing greater clarity.  highly recommended for less than $50 per tube.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 12/22/13 at 15:06:37

They ARE great rectifiers in the Torii. I have had many pairs and loved them. . . not going to try other brands as these are the bomb.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #9 - 12/24/13 at 12:26:40

got the phono pre tube yesterday.  as my listening friend Ed suggested, a larger change came from that one.  what i get now is a top to bottom balance that i did not have before where no range of the sound spectrum sticks out or is missing.  wanting to try the el34's i put them back in and noticed a greater midrange prominence than even before, think of the sound spectrum as a frown.  this would be the preferred setup for any kind of voices.  the ladies are just heavenly with this arrangement, but on balance, not as realistic.  a girl with a guitar would be the ultimate or solo voice.  what these rectifiers seemed to do was accentuate the traits that were already there, must be the clarity allowing this to come through.
now, maybe with all that clarity, i need another benz cartridge (just kidding) for use with the kt66s to have the sweetness and the clarity all in one.  my lyra does not sound lean in this setup, but it sounded sweeter before, i would say neutral now.  does it ever end?

for the money ($150), i would be hard pressed to think of another upgrade that made such a positive change.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/27/13 at 16:35:44

I still like the Shuguang 5u4G for classical music... I've not tried a whole lot of rectifiers in my SET, but the 274B sounds a bit thin and off somehow for this type of music...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print