Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:50:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 (Read 11659 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
12/11/13 at 05:24:01

Anybody, have experience with Anthony Gallo Speakers?

I am Listening to a pair of 3.1's tomorrow. I think they will be a good fit for my Decware Mystery Amplifier.
I listed some hi-light-excerpts....without quotation marks below.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo5/ref31.html

The Reference 3.1 is completely crossover-less from 150Hz to 35kHz. Each midrange is a 4-inch carbon fiber driver completely unencumbered by a crossover, operating from 150Hz on up to 3kHz. Also crossover-less is the CDTII tweeter, a capacitor by nature that automatically rejects low frequencies ensuring that no high-pass filter is needed. The CDTII operates from 3kHz to 35kHz.

Ref 3.1s. They're small. They don't dominate a room. Despite unusually wide treble dispersion, they are mono-polar. There's no active rear wave to necessitate undue concern over rear reflections. There's no rearward port either. Really simple.  
 However, they do lose some of that air of simplicity once the optional S.A bass amplifier enters the picture.  (so don't use one-I don't plan to).

Am I seriously calling the Ref 3.1 a state-of-the-art loudspeaker designed for small rooms? You bet. In my experience, the Gallo is the only speaker that combines all the bass properties described with one of the most musically involving personalities I've ever experienced.

Unlike every other review of the speakers I've read, Srajan went into detail about his favorite aspect of their performance - their speed.

Their largely crossover-less concept coupled to their physical time alignment makes them an incredibly fast-sounding  
speaker to reveal levels of microdynamics that makes every stand-mounted speaker with any real bass at all sound slow and sluggish by comparison.  

The Gallos deliver that speed and incisiveness with the kind of body and warmth that makes them uncommonly musical and involving.

Anthony Gallo himself tells me that he finds them to mate particularly well with EL34s. I'd be very interested in hearing these Gallos with the  
superb yet reasonably priced Conrad-Johnson MV60.

Yes, they are  88db/1 watt/1 meter....the Mystery Amp will do fine. Who knows, I have found two pair of Speakers out of 12 that are only 89 & 90 that work quite well with my SE84CS & CKC! So, I will try them first!  -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1
Reply #1 - 12/11/13 at 12:50:46

Never heard them, but design wise they seem like they are doing everything right.

His little sphere speakers I considered to be ideal design I wanted to copy when I first got into speaker building some 15-20 years ago.

I bet they sound amazing.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Digger
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/11/13 at 21:52:16

I've never seen these before either but sure do look nice!

They seem awfully light.

Cool

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 12/12/13 at 05:08:33

They are a solid 47 pounds each....and don't let the size fool you. They are prodigiously dynamic!  They just need a Tube Amp with Balls to drive them.  How about the ZMA.....coming in soon-will do!

http://images.craigslist.org/00505_edDPjnKjdZd_600x450.jpg
Anthony Gallo Acoustics 3.1

I bought them LR! They are in mint condition. New, they sold for $3000.00. I got them for $1500.00. Plus, I got the 4" Mapleshade platforms and Mapleshade Brass Feet for $500.00-see Link ($900.00 new from Mapleshade). So, a nice tidy $1900.00 in savings. All mint, and playing like the day they were new.

Currently, I have them mounted with their original Plinth and Feet from the factory. Josh/he, had switched out the Mapleshade Platforms to test as equipment bases. I will put the Mapleshades back on soon.

Impressions at Josh's House were nice. He had a Vincent Integrated (Tube pre/Solid State Hybrid), with Vincent CD Player. Even though it had that Solid State edge & the Room was not treated.....the 3.1's are musical. The Vincent is not to shabby. But, certainly not my Rig.

So, I get them home...frigin'  -3 degree's out....but worth the 42 miles each way!
Dont' cha know...the SE84CS can drive them. Now, within reason...I don't have the Mapleshade Plinths on yet or positioned the absolute best yet...but the imaging and soundstage and what I heard of the dynamics at Josh's....I am glad I bought them. The ZMA will deliver the goods into these guys.

Playing the 3.1's right now within reason for the SE84CS....reconfirms for me how my other two pair....that are a little more efficient....can play louder and more dynamic-with tone/truth of timbre & air only Decware can provide. Plus my Kimber Select with Decware and the Speakers-now including the 3.1's=matters. So, I look forward to driving them with the ZMA too. However, the Gallo 3.1's, I am pretty sure, I can make them completely disappear as advertised with the juice they need from the ZMA.  

I am very pleased! Plus, to get the Mapleshade Plinths and Brass Feet!
Stone is Toned!  
PS-they came with the hardware to mount the Mapleshade Plinths, original boxes with encapsulated foam and the over top grills-mint.

Oh, why did he sell them? He has a pair of Canton's he bought...and the wife made him choose-it was obvious (she was around).  Oh, it is good to date....I like being divorced! Now, how to break it to my current girlfriend it is over....hehe.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/12/13 at 06:00:00

Wow, so cool and so reasonably priced as well.  Interesting to know that the little Decware 2 watt'er can drive them.  Can't wait to hear your impressions with the ZMA.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 12/12/13 at 07:14:08

U bet Beowulf.

I am doing some late night Listening...just me in the house...so I can turn it up if I like.

These Speaker's are an achievement. I don't know how the 3.5's could be much better. These 3.1's are seemless, I better placed them...and once the SE84CS was warmed up....it is just locked in at 68 -72db SPL per my meter. I have the deepest soundstage I've ever had....the Speed?.......incredible with clarity.  More dynamics with SPL to be had with the ZMA I know. But, I just had to put in word now, at 1:09 am how good these 3.1's are. The Reviews ain't bullshit.    

Neodymium magnet with an under-hung design...ain't no BS.  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/12/13 at 14:40:13

Yer killin' me Stone.  :P

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 12/16/13 at 15:24:15

The levels of microdynamics of these Speakers, has me with a Cheshire Cat Grin on my face....that I can't wipe off. This, at 68 to 76db SPL too!
-S

I just found a nice tweak for my Gallo's:
http://www.10audio.com/gallo_ref3-1.htm
"I did not appreciate the noise from the SA amplifier’s cooling fan. The air intake is on the front panel, and the fan cycles on and off at regular intervals, a few minutes to each cycle. This soon became distracting, so I rocked the power switch and turned off the SA amplifier. On the next cut it was very apparent that the tight, detailed bass remained, but the bass power was diminished overall. There is a pattern here. The bass was nice and tight but weak with too much resistance (a turned off amplifier) across the subwoofer terminals, and relatively slow and loose with too little resistance (no connection) across the terminals. Hmmmm. Maybe if I adjusted this resistance to some optimal value, I could realize the very worthwhile benefits of the SA amplifier but without its penalties and added complexity. I had not been drinking on this particular evening.

JerryS' Gallo Resistor Tweak - 15 Ohms

Out came the big bag-o-resistors from my bygone speaker building experiments. I disconnected the SA amplifier and tried different resistors across the "Sub In" terminals with values ranging from 1 Ohm to 50 Ohms. This trial-and-error process ended when  15 ohm, 5 watt (or greater) wire wound resistors were installed and both the bass resolution and power locked in. Not just a good compromise:  ideal. The 15 Ohm resistors have remained installed ever since and I have had no desire to either reinstall the SA amp or to revisit this issue. With this very simple and inexpensive tweak, the speakers “speak” with one voice from low bass to beyond the range of my hearing.

I have mentioned this in other reviews, but it is relevant considering the previous discussion. The loudspeaker and the listening room must be considered partners in the “bass system”. A speaker that provides excellent bass in one room may not work nearly as well in a room of different size or materials. I repeat this here because if you listen to these speakers and have the same impression of the bass character that I do, then the resistor tweak is definitely worth a try. If your room is very different and you love the bass of either the un-resistored speaker or with the SA amp, I will not be one bit surprised".

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3