04/26/24 at 00:20:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The perfect match?? (Read 9850 times)
shootingstar
Verified Member

The perfect match??
12/06/13 at 20:26:20

Hi. I'm new on this forum, but I will go directly on my questions. Hope you can help me.

I live in a apartment with a living roommin size of 25m2. This ij just temporary until I get my own hifi-room Smiley

I would like you guys to give input on the bedt match for Avantgarde Uno Nano (104db). Today I use a CSP2+ with a VTL ST-85. This combination is really great, but I feel i have to try somethng new.. Crazy? Would you suggest a Amplifier, integrated or what? I'm thinking about selling everything and investing in a SE84CKC..

Would love some feedback on this.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Re: The perfect match??
Reply #1 - 12/06/13 at 23:22:24

The SE84CKC would be a perfect addition to your collection.  It is the definitive Decware amp, and your speakers have appropriate sensitivity to really work well with such low power.  Do it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/06/13 at 23:46:28

I'm with skibum. . . go for it!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/07/13 at 01:58:54

I also agree. If your budget allows, I would also consider the SE84CKCS.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/07/13 at 04:01:25

Wow, that 2 watt amp is going to sing on those speakers!  The other alternative would be the Rachel @ 6 watts stereo.

IP Logged
shootingstar
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/09/13 at 12:48:16

I`m not sure if 2x2 watt will be enough? Do you guys think this is enough to get my speakers to "party level"? Should I reather go for Rachel or MiniTorii?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/09/13 at 17:11:39

Here is a good way to find out.

Do you have a smart phone? Go download a free sound meter app - it won't be super accurate since it's not calibrated to your phone, but it will give you an idea of what you need.

Once you have the app, setup your current system to "listening level" and note down the DB, then setup for your "party" level, and note the DB.

Let's say your listening level is 107db, your speakers are 104db, so you'd need 1 watt for 104, and double that (2 watts) for 107db.

Lets say your "party" level is 120db, (just throwing a number out there, personally I don't think party level has anything to do with high end gear but whatever) Again, your speakers are 104db at 1watt,

104db 1 watt
107db 2 watt
110db 4 watt
113db 8 wat
116db 18 watt
119db 36 watt

Again, without a proper calibrated sound meter (check Amazon for real ones), this will be all ballpark, but it will give you an idea of what *you* need. Your idea of "party level" is probably completely different than mine.   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/09/13 at 17:15:13

One last thing I'd like to add - and I think most tube amp users will agree - tube amps tend to appear louder than their rating. I believe it has something to do with harmonics and all that. So I've had people compare my two watt Zen amp to 20-25watt tube amps volume wise. But again, the meter should help you figure out more of what you need.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
shootingstar
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/09/13 at 19:12:46

In lack of a better word I used "party level". I have never thought about trying an app like this. What I do know is that my 60 watt VTL-ST85 is wsy to much gain for my taste.

But still I am not sure if 2x2 will give me to little gain.. Have to start by testing this app.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/09/13 at 20:02:22

The woofer section of your speakers is active, correct?  That will certainly help.  I think 2 watts will take you pretty far.  

Per third party measurements your speakers are legit 102+db/w/m.  Plug the values and your room specifics into this: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html (That calculator is not geared toward high directivity speakers, so the calculated spls won't be quite accurate, but close enough.  Under 'speaker placement' choose option 2, even if your speakers are not actually near walls.)  I'll bet even with listening distance and everything factored in you'll still be ~100db at the listening position, and that's really, really loud.

Believe me, a zen amp will have you scuba diving through the mix at 95db.  You'll be having so much fun you'll completely forget about plaster crackin', neighbor disturbing reference level listening.  And with your speakers you can still pretty much do that if you so desire.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/10/13 at 00:36:28

shootingstar,

The SE84CKC with high efficiency speakers is a great amp in my opinion. I have been to Decware several times for listening sessions over the years so I've heard many of their amp and speaker combinations. I started out with the Zen 15 years ago and upgraded to the CKC two years ago and that was a big step up.

With your speakers I suggest the CKC and HSU Mid Bass Module. The Mid Bass Module provides a low end foundation that gives a much bigger sound but retains the beautiful mids & highs of the CKC. The CKC with Mid Bass Module will sound bigger / louder than the Rachael or Mini without the Mid Bass Module.

For about what it costs to upgrade to the Rachael or Mini you can purchase the HSU Mid Bass Module. Don't waste money on a sub starting out. The Mid Bass band (50 to 150 hertz) is where its at for music.

In the last 30 years I've had a lot of audio gear. My system currently consists of the Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC, Klipsch RF-7's and Mid Bass Module. The simplest system I've ever had and it rocks the entire house when needed. The best part however is that it sounds fantastic at moderate volumes.

Good Luck

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 01/20/14 at 13:52:13

SkiBum
Thank you for your post here, really helpfull, suddenly some physics was very clear to me!
High school teachers; maybe add some practical use when teaching youngsters??
DBC (dirty but clean?=) have you read anything by the author DBC Pierre? Vernon God Little is IMHO one the better books from 2000
Shootingstar; party level is a useable term in my book. I have no idea what would be a necessary SPL level for those seldom days one would like to boost volume close to max. Seems to me that if one plays over 90dB it will be pretty exhausting in a short while. The upside with high quality gear is from what i can understand the ability to serv you with detailed musicality even if only playing at pretty low dB. Correct?

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 01/20/14 at 19:34:16

Not sure if Shootingstar is still tuning in, but here's another link that he, as a user of controlled directivity horns should if not follow to the letter at least experiment with (the results will speak for themselves):

http://libinst.com/PublicArticles/Setup%20of%20WG%20Speakers.pdf

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print