Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 12:11:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tori MK.III-appreciation thread-where's the love? (Read 17538 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Tori MK.III-appreciation thread-where's the love?
11/26/13 at 23:58:34

Hey Steve...

are there links to the old Torii MK.III web pages anywhere? i.e. an archive section somewhere that I'm not finding?
There was some info on the pages for the MK.III that I would like to have access to...get a copy of, etc. for later reference...

And... I still LOVE my mk.III... anybody else?

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Tori MK.III-appreciation thread-where's the love?
Reply #1 - 11/27/13 at 00:02:27

Maddog, the thread is still here.  It was just moved to the older gear section towards the bottom of the page...Mark.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=TORII3

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #2 - 11/27/13 at 01:50:41

thanks Mark58 - useful, but that's not what I'm referring to here.  I'm not talking about the forum thread... I'm talking about the actual Tori MK.III webpage that used to appear when you clicked on the picture of the Torii when on the AMPS page of the website... like if you were going to order it...

I'm sure Steve still has the actual webpages, they're just not linked to from any of the current pages.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/27/13 at 02:54:02

I don't know if it helps, but here is the manual:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIMK3Manual.pdf

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 11/27/13 at 03:15:16

thanks Lon... got the manual... in hardcopy color form..!!!!  There was some info on the webpage... that I haven't found anywhere else... but not hyper critical in the grand scheme either...

now where's that love?

Shocked

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/27/13 at 03:21:11

I LOVE my two Mk IIIs, each a little different.

And my Mk II.

I'm sure I could learn to love a Mk IV. . . but I have to draw the line somewhere! Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #6 - 11/27/13 at 14:54:28

....all of the LOVE is for the new IV now-don't you know?! (hehehe)

I am ordering the Torii IV in August.

Currently, I am burning in my new Kimber Select 3035 Speaker Cables with my KSelect 1030 IC.....awaiting my Mystery Amplifier!   -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/27/13 at 14:58:35

maddog, I know what you mean, I miss the web page too, hopefully Steve will see this thread and give us a link to store.

I guess I understand all the hoopla about the IV but I often find that Steve moves towards playback style that doesn't best suit me, I think the earlier models are better for me. I love the Mk II I have and will probably set that up in the second system and leave my original Mk III as a back up amp. Just a bit more forgiving and warm, whereas it seems the IV and MA are moving away from that.

Long live the original Torii, II and IIIs!

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/27/13 at 15:41:45

My Torii is still the last amp I will own. I love it and it only gets better and I have no interest in the MK4. I am so loving the Gold Lion GT77's right now. I don't think I could live without the bass and treble controls.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 11/27/13 at 15:45:50

....come on guys....da'nile is not just a river in Egypt!  You know you want the IV....we know you want it....just do it.

No seriously though, I regret selling my III...but I would have upgraded to the IV.  -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 11/27/13 at 16:35:09

Honestly Stone, I have no interest in the IV. I'd check out the MA or the Monos if I felt I needed another amp, but I'm so happy, and I love these amps once they begin seasoning and continue seasoning. That I think is where the real Decware gold is, the well seasoned amp with the right tube sets and supporting items. I don't need "the next big thing," don't need to keep chasing the new, I have THE amp.

IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/27/13 at 22:28:00

Maddog,

I have a very important link to share with you, but the system rules require that I have five regular posts before I can share an active link.

This would be my fourth post.

Best,

Chris

IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/27/13 at 22:29:07

This is my fifth post. Roll Eyes

Wait for it.....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 11/27/13 at 22:31:04

Now you have me curious.  ;D

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 11/27/13 at 22:31:40

Boom!  The information you seek is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130218185403/https://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII....

I'm a posting machine.

Best,

Chris

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #15 - 11/27/13 at 22:33:54

Ahh, clever!

I'm betting you could save the page as HTML for your reference.

subagent
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 11/27/13 at 22:47:26

Or print it.  Mk II is in there as well.  

All sorts of stuff in the Wayback Machine.  It's the cyberspace equivalent of your mom showing your baby pix to your prom date....

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #17 - 11/27/13 at 23:24:24

subagent....

you da man!!!  did you have the old url stashed somewhere?  that is the page I was looking for!!   Thanks.

I have only been a Decware fanboy for a smidge over a year.  And believe it or not, the Decware's are the first tube amps I've ever owned in over 30 years in the hobby!!   Shocked  Started with the Rachael, kinda wish I'd kept it to be honest, and now have a Torii III w/Jupiters.  I'm just starting into the rolling a bit... and I am so pleased and impressed with how it sounds & the synergy with two of the 6 pairs of speakers I own right now, I don't see me taking a chance on messing this sonic nirvana up for a good long while.  Heard all the amps at the fest... maybe a MA someday, not likely a IV... but the III is get'n er done in a big way right now....

IP Logged
subagent
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/28/13 at 04:19:31

Hi Maddog,

No, I didn't have the URL saved.  That link is to the Internet Archive (aka "the Wayback Machine"), which you can use to check on the content of a particular URL-- in this case the Torii page-- in its earlier incarnations.  

I've had my MKIII for about 9 months now.  I am nowhere near completely understanding what it has to offer, and not completely convinced that it (and its tubes) are through "cooking."  I've never upgraded or sold a piece of gear unless I was convinced that I had heard all that it had to offer and I wanted still more than that.  The MKIII is now comparable in most ways to its predecessor on my rack-- a 300B (push pull, not SE) unit putting out about the same watts.  And that's with minimal tube rolling and other experimentation.  I feel confident that with a bit more tweaking it will easily best its (more expensive) predecessor.

Once I feel that I completely "grok" the MkIII, I will need to read up on the MKIV to understand the differences well enough to determine (read: "guess") whether the upgrade would move me further down the road (in terms of my preferences), or whether I will stand pat.

Mostly, though, I'm just enjoying the music   Wink

Best,

Chris

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #19 - 11/28/13 at 05:46:18

I am only an egg...

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/28/13 at 18:40:27

I think a big part of the Torii MKIII beauty is how good it sounds stock, AND how well it adapts to adjustments. It is a tribute to its very revealing and refined design path and implementation.

I have some Jupiters to put in, but have been loving the Russian PIO K40Y-9s so much I just can't open it up and do it. I got the PIOs through a conversation with Ron @ cryoset. The Russian caps are probably not better than the Jupiters (I love the Jupiter change in my Zstage...night and day to me from the auricaps), but they were notably better than the then standard Wimas....Brought out the natural qualities of voice, instruments and space...made the Wimas sound a bit  "electronic" by comparison. So "organic" applies.

I am with Lon...this amp is so good at adapting to synergistic beauty...different cables, components, feet, tweaks....but wow, unlike Lon who finds tubes he likes and tends to "stick" a while (generally not exactly stock), I love to tube roll. With enough variations of each type, the options for refinement in different ways are amazing. As OC says about the KT77, I can say about different EL34s I have once I match them up with the right complimentary tubes. Not that I would not love the KT77 too, I probably would, just that the subtle sound values of this amp are really impressive without stepping out very far. Five tube sets represent a load of refinement options! But this is a big part of the fun for me...playing with variations of great keeps me excited and loving the music.

Anyway...with logical steps, the Torii MKIII is far more than one amp...far more...It is really good enough to be many variations of "great" once your basic cabling, source, power/EMF/RFI cleaning, room and speakers are tuned enough to reveal the revelation the amp can offer.

The thing that keeps amazing me is that my sound was off the charts good within a couple months of the Torii MkIII forcing refining of system and room, but as I go forward, it keeps getting MORE off the charts with this or that little change or adaptation...this or that cable rolling...foot placement, electronic refinements...tubes...whatever!

That said. I am really excited to play with whatever my coming MkIV offers. No doubt it will end up a "different" amp than the stock one, and I can't wait to see what that is in my room, and to my tastes!

Will the MkIII or the MkIV end up as the main system amp...I am betting on the MkIV, but who knows...my MkIII is gorgeous!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print