Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 14:44:11 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Left Channel of New Torii MK IV went out... (Read 11615 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Left Channel of New Torii MK IV went out...
11/22/13 at 01:54:19

Something unusual, not in a good way, happened about 40 minutes ago.  I noticed my left speaker had stopped working and went over to examine the Torii.  On the Left side the OC2, the OA3, and the Rectifier tubes weren't lit up.  The input tube and KT66's were still lit.  I turned off both sides and hooked up the speakers to my Taboo and continued my listening.  After forty minutes I turned the left side of the Torii on again with the same result. I thought I'd gotten off easy with just a rattling 5U4 rectifier but now this.  Sounds like a trip back to home base to see Steve. So what does this sound like guys?  Just a loose connection?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Left Channel of New Torii MK IV went out...
Reply #1 - 11/22/13 at 03:11:34

Mark, the rectifier isn't firing up and that powers the other tubes that are not powering up.

The older of my Mk IIIs does this to me, I have to wiggle the rectifier about to get it to glow. Often once I do it works for weeks, sometimes only one session. I've cleaned the contacts, adjusted the "tines," etc. I even had the amp back and had it looked at and it came back the same way. Annoying. I hope that yours has the same problem because it means you can get it to work.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/22/13 at 03:54:26

Lon,  earlier today I had put in NOS Rectifiers to fix the rattle in the right channel's stock rectifier.  So before turning on either side of the Torii just now, I switched the NOS Rectifiers to the other side making sure they were both well seated...with a little wiggle...hehe.  And just like you said, everything works again.  To celebrate I'm playing Jean Luc Ponty's first Atlantic LP..."Upon The Wings Of Music".  Thanks Lon.  A little wiggle was much better than sending my Baby to Steve.  Mark.  

PS...now if I could only find his "Imaginary Voyage" I'd have listened to all 4 of my favorite Ponty LPs.

519dzkUWNkL__SL500_AA280_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #3 - 11/22/13 at 06:52:32

Dear Mark ,

Glad to hear that your amp is working again. Smiley

Dear Lon,

Thanks for sharing that rectifier "wiggle" tip.

I bet the music from your delicious Mk3 makes you do the Boogie Woogie "wiggle" all the time! Wink

Regards,
LS

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/22/13 at 10:38:57

Mark, so glad that worked. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that as often as I do on that Mk III.

That Mk III is now in my second system and I miss it in the main system as it has years of seasoning on it and I bet it sounds at least 10 percent better than the new one as a result. The new one has a stepped attenuator and the bass controls, which are both great to have. . . but I have to use it for years for it to have the ease and depth in the quantities and qualities of the older one.

But it will get there.

Listening to some Monday Michiru on it and getting ready for the shower. Little bits of my life are good!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/14/20 at 16:48:10

The right channel of my 3 year old MKIV went out last night. I turned it off, switched speakers cables to the opposite side and everything went back to working. I heard a little "tink" on the left side for a while and then it stopped. I'm running original 5U4G's, OA3's and OC2's. KT66's are only a few months old. Input tubes have 1.5 to 2 years on them. I'll clean all the interconnects tonight. Any ideas?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/14/20 at 17:08:23

Have you tried swapping tubes left to right?  I recently had tube issues in my ZP3 AND CSP3.  They can creep up on you!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/14/20 at 18:10:52

If it happens again, I'll definitely do that. I've also ordered back up rectifier and voltage regulation tubes just in case. I already have back up inputs and power tubes. Thanks Archie!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/14/20 at 18:22:36

Unless you have a loose connection, I bet it's a tube.  They seem to go out a little at a time -- at least in my experience.  One I had go bad in my CSP3 gave me a whistling sound in one channel until it warmed up.  Finally the whistle persisted and I gave up on it.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/15/20 at 02:46:39

Yep. It’s a tube. I’m not sure which one. I swapped all the tubes and the bad channel went with it. Currently I only re-swapped the rectifier tube. Both channels are working fine now. Guess I’ll have to wait a while to see what happens.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/16/20 at 04:11:55

Left channel went out again. Swapped input tubes. Left channel went out again. Swapped out new KT66’s for original EL34’s. Sounds great. Question: can a bad VR tube cause a power tube to go bad?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 05/16/20 at 06:20:14

On A TORII MK4, MK3, MK2 the OA3/VR75 tube supplies high voltage to the screen grid of the output/power tubes, so if it shuts off, the screen grid will block emissions from the cathode to the plate and the output tube will no longer have output : )

So the answer is yes.

WWW   IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/16/20 at 17:04:14

The VR tube is still glowing normally. I can swap it out once I get the new VR tubes and then swap back in the KT66’s.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 05/16/20 at 17:11:58

If it's glowing normally, it's probably fine.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print