Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 20:07:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jolida Fusion Transport/Dac (Read 13187 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Jolida Fusion Transport/Dac
11/08/13 at 13:14:57

I have been using a Jolida 100 CD player with a pair of Raytheon 12AX7 tubes and been happy with it.  I was going to buy another since it has been discontinued and may be hard to get in the future.  But they came out with the new 6 tube Transport/DAC that peaks my curiosity.  There is only one review (see below link)...I've been waiting for more.  This unit retails for $2300 but I think I could get it for about $1850 vs a used Jolida 100 CDP for $450 to $550 ($900 new).  Has anyone heard the new Jolida Fusion Transport/Dac?  I have also posted an Audiogon ad that has more info on this CDP.  I think I could do better than the Jolida 100....any other players you would suggest?  Mark.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-jolida-fusion-dac-transport-new-...
dual-mono-6-tube-dac-player-2013-10-25-digital-30067

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/jolida-fusion-dac-transport-cd-player/

cd11-300x185.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Jolida Fusion Transport/Dac
Reply #1 - 11/08/13 at 23:22:48

Hey Mark,

I have no knowledge of the CD/DAC you have there.  I do have a couple of other Jolida components and they both have given great service.  The first piece is a small PP tube amp (20 wpc) that has been in continuous use for over ten years.   The other is a tubed DAC, 16/44 only, that sounds real fine to me.

If it sounds good to you, it is good!

Dennis

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/09/13 at 04:01:47

For that coin I would think there are a lot of contenders ... PS Audio comes to mind, but if you were looking at tube DACs ~ don't forget about the Line Magnetic LM-502CA.

Copied from PitchPerfect's website ...

■Sample rate 32bit, 44.1kHz through 192kHz, displayed on front panel
■Asynchronous technology for ultra-low jitter/distortion
■Top of the line ESS Sabre 9016 DAC
■Tube rectified analog circuits utilizing the 6z4 full wave rectifier tube
■Dual output stages –  Tube (12au7 dual triode) output and Solid-State output stage. Cool!
■Utilizes XMOS USB 2.0 receiving and decoding audio technology for your computer based music source
■Flexible installation with 5 input choices – AES/EBU, BNC, USB, Optical and Coaxial
■Dual transformer design – Toroidal type handles digital circuits and EI for Analogue circuits

Yes ... it's orange Cheesy

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/15/13 at 12:41:10

I just did a google search for this again...still no more reviews.  In fact this thread was number five in the search.  I haven't been listening to CDs for a while since my Torii MK IV and ZP3 arrived.  I've been having a ball listening to LPs that I haven't heard for 20 to 40 years....as anyone following the what's spinning thread knows. Almost all of my pre 70's Jazz is on CD so eventually I'll get back to them. Any help with a simple to operate player Transport/dac will be appreciated.  In the meantime the Jolida 100 will keep me listening. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/15/13 at 13:19:58

Mark, I'll make two recommendations at two price points.

Want to add this: you and I both listen to a lot of acoustically recorded instrumental music. I have had and heard a number of digital front ends that sounded fantastic with rock and funk and electronica and other non-acoustic material, but sounded not as good with jazz, classical, and other acoustic instrument centric music. This has been the real process for me: finding a digital front end that got these recordings right.

Here are my top recommendations from my own experience.

One: the PS Audio DAC Mk II and Transport. This is such a great unit, transformed my digital listening, I am totally satisfied, have this duo in both of my systems and for the first time don't want to upgrade at all. There is a great deal, half price essentially for both, and I know it's STILL expensive. I really only spend money on equipment and music to pay within the equipment so for me it is totally worth it. Here's the deal page:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139699-ps-audio-pwd-perfectwave-dac-mkii-pwt-memory...

The other recommendation is a Denon 100th Anniversary SACD player, the DCD-A100. I really like this player, it excels in both SACD and Redbook, and you can use the excellent DAC within as well with other components such as a DVR or DVD or Blu-ray player. The build quality on this is just incredible for the price. I like it even better than the Sony SCD-XA5400ES I used as my main player for a while (and loved). It has been discontinued, and you just missed out on one that was at a wonderful price from an authorized dealer, I looked and they just sold their last one. But it is worth taking a look about to see if you can find one; they list for 2500 but I got one for 1500 and have seen them at that price over the last year here and there.

Edit to add: Denon also made a 100th anniversary "Universal player" which I also own. It sounds ALMOST as good as the SACD player with SACD and Redbook. Rich detailed sound, the SACD player tops it just slightly. But the Universal Player excels in playing back DVD-A and Blu-ray Audio discs--last night I listened to the new "Pure Audio" Blu-ray Audio disc from Universal of "A Love Supreme" and was floored but he audio quality. On ebay there is one right now at a great price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DBP-A100-Blu-ray-player-100th-Anniversary-Edition-...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/15/13 at 14:33:43

Good to hear from you Lon, I have looked at the PS Audio combo before based on your posts. The cost and the seemingly difficulty of use/setup steered me away. I'm a little younger than you but consider myself an audio Luddite. When you start talking computers, and multiple on screen menus etc, I get worried...could I figure it all out?  The 4k price tag now is less of a concern but ease of use is a biggie. Could you comment on this?

Also i think I'd wait for the Denon DCD-A100 rather than buy the other Denon now.  How large a difference in Sonic Quality is there between the PS Audio and Denon machines. Most of my CDs are redbook with a few hybrids and were purchased primarily in the 90's so there are some poor transfers in the bunch.  But once I have SACD playback available I would probably buy some. Just how big a difference in sound would I get for the extra $2500 for the PS Audio gear vs Denon DCD A100 on Redbook playback?

As you know my system includes a Torii MK IV, CSP 3, and HR 1's in the future.  Also Taboo MK III for headphones and ZP3 for Lp's. Thanks for your help, Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/15/13 at 15:08:12

Mark, with your upcoming equipment, a quality front end is going to be more important than ever.

The PS Audio duo is not at all hard to operate. Connect the transport to the DAC and you have one remote to control them all (and a Power Plant from PS Audio too, which I find quite helpful). There are indeed different filters you can use and different "upsampling" or not to select and different sources you can hook up and that may be rather imposing on paper, but in reality I think like me, with the music we listen to, using the "Auto" for the filters will put you in the best one automatically, and using the "NativeX" setting --- that is no up sampling, it's astonishing how much I prefer this to any of the up sampling settings--- will get you great sound. For the most part you're going to be just hitting play and sitting back and enjoying your music. I don't have mine hooked up to the net, I don't need to see a little picture of what I am listening to or track name etc. And the phase switch comes in handy as well, I have a few recordings that definitely sound better with phase inverted.

I'm as much a Luddite as you if not more. I don't want computers and music to mix. This duo does not present itself as a computer and I don't think of it as one. And the I2S via HDMI connection (with the right HDMI cable) sounds great, better than the coax or optical or the several times I used the USB when a friend tried to get me into computer audio.

Anyway, for Redbook (and in my case my system is an audio / visual one, so for TV and movies and Hi-res PCM digital) the Duo makes great sound, very analog like to my ears, especially when it is well seasoned.

I'd say the DCD-A100 is about as good via SACD, and about 20 percent less good Redbook. (Really hard to assign values like this). The DBP-A100 is about 10 percent less in fidelity than the DCD-A100 in Redbook and SACD, but about 10 percent less in fidelity than the PS Audio Duo in Hi-res PCM (it really shines in that aspect, and since universal players won't output PCM above 48khz due to a copy protection thing, this allows me to get stunning sound from certain DVD, DVD-A and Blu-ray material).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/13 at 15:28:03

Mark,
I have been looking at this one. They just released it and it looks good to me. I heard their first version and it sounded real good. Just giving you another option to look at.

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/sources/products/erc-3

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/15/13 at 16:51:46

Lon, a 20% improvement with the PS Audio gear seems like a large improvement to me, probably worth the extra dough. I wonder how much longer the half price deal at Music Direct will last...it seems to have been there a long time.  The solution may be to get the PS Audio setup before the deal expires and demo it for the 30 days.  If I don't feel it's worth it, I can get a refund for the cost of shipping the units back.  But I think before I do this I would want the HR-1's in place and broken in....I don't think this will occur until March or April next year.  In the meantime I could try the Denon DCD 100 for $1500 or less, if I could find it...reselling it later if need be.  For me the gear part of audio is a necessary hassle to get to the Music.  Once I get everything in place I'm unlikely to change or upgrade things aside from cabling or isolation tweaks.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/15/13 at 16:59:53

I don't know how long that deal will be in place, maybe that long, hard to say. It has been a while that it has been up and available.

I've been waiting just one week shy of six months for a pair of HR-1s. I hope we both get ours soon!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print