Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 15:09:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
going vinyl (Read 709 times)
miller88

going vinyl
11/06/13 at 16:08:48

So I just can't get into the streaming, ipod, hd internet whatever stuff.
I have quite a few Lp's from early years and always enjoyed them as well as a big collection my dad is giving me.
Now that I have my stereo and speakers set I really want to get set up to listen tho them. Can you guys help me with what I need.
I am getting a turntable from my dad (don't know what kind yet) but I guess I need a phonosage, at least, to get started. I would like to get a Decware one but can't get that new right now. I would love suggestions on something decent under 700.00. Do I need anything else besides the turntable and phonostge?

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: going vinyl
Reply #1 - 11/06/13 at 16:12:58

If you have receiver, integrated amp or amp and preamp you need nothing else. I'm with you about the streaming and computer audio, though I have no problem enjoying cds (but it took a lot of trying out of digital players and a lot of money to be really comfortable).

I have had good experience with three phono preamps before the Decware one (which was clearly the superior of all of them after burn in): a B&O, a Hafler and a PS Audio GCPH. The latter may well be found these days about 450 to 550 as there is a new model introduced (with lots of extra bits for turning your records into digital files or a digital stream, you don't need this). The GCPH should get you through til you can afford a Decware ZP3. Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/06/13 at 17:36:53

Lon is correct.  If you have a vintage set up you may already have a phono stage...make sure you don't before going further.

If you do need one and want something while you take your time to look for something more expensive, I would recommend the $49 ART DJ PRE II Phono Preamplifier from Sweet Water...free super fast shipping.  I'm using one while I wait for my ZP3 to be built and though there's no comparison between the two, the ART was better than the phono stage in my Adcom Preamp.  Take a look at it and read some reviews.  Mark.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeeJayPre

http://www.amazon.com/ART-II-Preamplifier-Outputs-Switchable/dp/B000AJR482/ref=s...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
miller88

Reply #3 - 11/06/13 at 18:08:40

Thanks guys, maybe I can just plug and play for a while. Ill find out tomorrow about the turntable.
I have a Rachael, CSP2+ and a DAC. It would be great if I can just use what I have and get the ZP3 in Jan.
I'll look at your suggestions also.

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/06/13 at 18:20:53

You will need a phono preamp to plug and play but definitely save for the ZP3. Best of luck.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #5 - 11/07/13 at 18:22:42

Hey Miller88,

I have a phono stage from Musical Surroundings called the Phonomena II:

http://www.a.musicalsurroundings.com/mus_surr_pgs/mslsurr_PhonomII.html

It is a VERY flexible unit in regards to setting up load and impedence and gain to perfectly match your cartridge. This unit has been great for me thus far and has been my first serious phono preamp of any kind. I started with a DL 103 cartridge and then later upgraded to a Zu DL-103. minimal adjustments had to be made...but if you want to upgrade your cart in the future with preamp will adjust with you.

The unit is basically invisible in the audio signal path of my set-up meaning....I don't think about it much at all...it does it's job in the background without much of any coloration. It has a nice small build and solid warranty...

Just wanted to add my 2 cents because I use this amp with a vintage TT just like you will be getting a hand me down TT from your dad..

As far as digital music is concerned...I was intimidated at first, but once you have a DAC (one with USB input has been super convenient for me) and a program to store hi res files in (I use Jriver) it's all SUPER easy and can entail way less set-up than a TT can.....now, I know that some TT's (many new ones) are very easy to set-up...my vintage Denon required some work to sound it's best. Then there are all the little tools you can get to help your table sound it's best like a stylus force gauge, a protractor...record cleaning brush.....making sure your TT is level etc etc etc....a bunch of stuff. And it's all a labor of love....some won't feel the need to get these things. But optimal playback of vinyl in your system can suffer a bit if you don't play the game of tinkering/adjusting with your TT set-up..

My digital music requires barely any set-up and the sound can be fantastic! Hi-res music has a LOT to offer! Dependent on the recording or course....that does not change. No audio magic will happen if the recording is not great....but great music is great music either way at the end of the day I think, super audiophile approved sounding playback....or not. But yes....we're all hear cuz we REALLY enjoy the latter Smiley

Digital music just opens me up to a world of hi quality music that I can have instantly...no waiting for shipping (when I'm feeling less patient)....and all in all: it's another way for me to consume and purchase music. That's the most important part for me. I need to have access to music in all the ways that it's possible to have it today. That makes me happy to have choices like that. It's just fun...I LOVE physical copies of music (it's still my preference) but there are some modern bands I'm really into who release special editions of songs or EP's ONLY digitally. I NEED to have that stuff, ya know? I don't have a large collection of digital stuff either, as I've recently started getting into it. But it's nice to be able to go "oh there is a new hi rez version of that such-and-such album I always wanted to have but ever got around to purchasing...let me download it...I think I'm in the mood for it now..."

SO.....enjoy, and I hope your TT adventures are smooth and filled with awesome music! Smiley

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #6 - 11/15/13 at 00:39:26

thanks so much for that input, its very helpful

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #7 - 11/15/13 at 02:33:52

http://www.hagtech.com
The Hagerman Bugle is an excellent phono stage at a dirt cheap price

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/15/13 at 12:42:23

If you have a little more money I can also recommend the Hagerman Bugle 2.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print