Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 20:46:50 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician (Read 5919 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician
11/01/13 at 21:13:37

Thought I'd start another thread in some way all about the music because we love our GEAR but it's the MUSIC we really want to get to right, that we love so deeply?

I'll start.

Bille Holiday.
Before too much of the sadness.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: Post a Pic of a Favorite Musician
Reply #1 - 11/01/13 at 21:29:46

OK Lon, Art Pepper is in my top ten....who's my favorite probably changes depending on what I'm listening to. His recordings from the late 70's until his death is the sweet spot for me.  Mark.  PS...he was pretty much a life long addict as Billie was.

41VCN3XC0QL__AA160_.jpg

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 11/01/13 at 21:51:54

Cool. I keep hoping one day I'll LOVE Pepper. I totally respect his artistry, but I don't really enjoy listening to his music that much. I like the earliest Pepper the most.

Shifting continents, here's another favorite artist I can't ever stop playing the music of.

Antonio Carlos Jobim.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/01/13 at 22:27:38

Lon,  I would have never guessed...hehe. This is one area where our collections/tastes differ.  Although I like Brazilian Music i have far less than you. I have mainly Stan Getz's bossa nova stuff, Flora Purim and a few others.  I've enjoyed sampling your album choices though.  My lack of knowledge in this regard is not because I don't like it I just haven't heard much of it.

Ok Lon, I love Jazz as you know but I have lots of non-jazz favorites as well...Laura Nyro is right up there...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/01/13 at 22:30:50

The photo didn't take....

Laura-Nyro-17178856-1-402.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/01/13 at 22:30:57

Hey, we're all different and that's what's great! I never got bitten by the Laura bug, mainly I think because I was in Africa during her highest times and not exposed to her.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 11/01/13 at 23:06:38

I'll take a lot of flack for this, James McMurtry.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 11/01/13 at 23:27:51

Why would you take flack? It's not like you chose. . . Debbie Gibson. I might give you some friendly flack for that! Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/01/13 at 23:29:23

Donnie, no flack here.  I went and sampled a little of "Live in Europe" and kinda like it.  I'll go back and listen to more soon. My philosophy about what is "Good" Music has always been, it's what the listener thinks is good....whether it's Katy Perry or Mozart or a guy banging two garbage can lids together....if the listener thinks it's good it is for him/her. I think Lon will agree. I'm not a Lady Gaga fan but those who think she's talent-less should go listen to her Duet with Tony Bennett doing "The Lady Is A Tramp".

In the same vein as your choice, I went through a Townes Van Zandt phase not too long ago....

images_001.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 11/01/13 at 23:43:18

One of my favorite artists, Duke Ellington, is reported to have said "There are two kinds of music, the good kind, and the other kind."

I agree.

Here's a picture of that subversive genius, Duke Ellington, doing the "finger snapping" bit.

Then again I used to work with someone who had a very different taste in music from me who used to tell me "I like BOTH types of music, Country AND Western." Cheesy

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/01/13 at 23:44:56

And after James McMurtry I'll go with Ray Wylie Hubbard.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 11/01/13 at 23:49:23

He's the twenty dollar bionic man, with the steel slide finger.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/02/13 at 00:06:32

Lon,  I've got the huge red box of the Duke's RCA output but don't know where it is....everything gets lost or so it seems. Also have Two maybe three Mosaic Box Sets....somewhere.

Donnie, you have a thing for Texas Musicians.  Well I guess Ray Wylie Hubbard is originally an Okie by birth.  Here's a favorite local boy...born right here in Oak Cliff and honed his skills in Austin where Lon has spent some time....

stevie-ray-vaughan_111101.jpg

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 11/02/13 at 00:33:40

I see your Stevie and raise you a Jimmie

I noticed that I had a "Texas" thing a few years ago, I really don't know why.

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #14 - 11/02/13 at 01:27:20

I'm still in a little bit of a Zandt phase

Ayub Ogada

image_006.jpg

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 11/02/13 at 14:19:18

Mark, as a Pepper fan(attic) you probably know about the releases that his widow Laurie has been putting out?  Seems there is a new cd, DVD and book on the horizon.

http://www.artpepper.net

http://www.artpeppermusic.blogspot.com

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 11/02/13 at 14:22:25

Another one of my favorites, Brazilian singer Paula Morelenbaum. I first heard her when she and her husband Jacques Morelenbaum (excellent cellist, composer and arranger) were members of Jobim's final band. Since then Paula has released a handful of recordings of her own and as a member of the trio Morelenbaum2Sakamoto. All are recommended if you like Brazilian music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 11/02/13 at 14:24:21

Here's a photo of "the Pres," Lester Young, one of the artists I've sought every note I could find from. Lester was an immense influence in jazz, as a player and as a personality and intellect. I just love to listen to Pres!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/02/13 at 15:04:38

Lon,  I have sampled some of Paula's music thanks to  your  past posts. She's very nice.  

In regards to the Art Pepper "Widow's Taste" releases...I am aware of them but don't think I have bought any though I have listened to some.  They are all excellent.  Art was very consistent in his later years...it was like he thought each tune might be his last and wanted it to count. There is a documentary called "Notes from a Jazz Survivor" that I have, the whole thing is on you tube for those interested. His wife for many years has been trying to get a film made...maybe that's the DVD? Thanks for the links...I'll investigate.

I have been out of the Hi Fi game for 10...15 years, it's hard to say for sure.  During this time I listened to CDs in my car and music on my laptop...my stereo was broken for those years.  I am happy to say I'm back in and can't believe I left for so long. I don't think I've got quite as large a collection as you...never counted...but I certainly have more than I could possibly listen to during my remaining years.  I had sort of a music buying/Hoarding/collecting addiction for many years; and as a result at least one third, probably more, of what I have has yet to be listened to.

I will give you Bill since I know you would soon anyway....Until later, Mark.  

evans-0226346d0fbb14857978305dfc1d3ce8967e3fb4-s6-c30.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 11/02/13 at 15:10:26

Yes, I'm that compulsive musical hoarder too. Son of a collector (Dad collected Civil War material--and wrote four books on Civil War characters) and sheet music from the early twentieth century (supplementing what he inherited from his Mom).

I have actually listened to almost everything in my collection at least once, but of course it's silly to have this much, and even sillier to buy more. But nothing short of the grave will likely stop me.

On top of that I collect  books and instruments. Sigh.

Anyway, thanks for that picture of Bill. Leisure suit and all!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 11/02/13 at 16:28:37

Lon, thanks for reminding me of the websites on Art.  I have tried to read his autobiography but can never finish it. He was such a self centered, impulsive addict...a horrible unrepentant sociopath like many of my favorite Musicians.  But I don't judge Musicians on how they lead their lives....just the Music.  I have a lot of reading and listening to do via the sites.  

I think I owe Laura, Art's third wife, for all the beautiful Music Art created after meeting her in Rehab in the 70's.  She kept him somewhat grounded and on track.  Here's what she looked like when she met Art.   Mark.

0026_laurie_bed.gif

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 11/02/13 at 19:02:35

Yeah, that is a hard book to read, but a good one in its way.

Here's another of my favorites. Louis Armstrong, His music changed many sectors of the musical world and always strengthens me.

Interesting parallels for me with Louis. His father and my father are both named William Armstrong. He said/thought his birthday was July 4, but turns out it was August 4. My parents' first child was stillborn on July 4, and was going to have my name, and I was born 13 months later on August 4.

The man was a genius of many talents. Few know how much he wrote, he was a compulsive and excellent writer, and he created interesting artwork as well.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #22 - 11/02/13 at 20:10:46

I'm a bit obvious.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 11/02/13 at 20:11:53

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 11/02/13 at 20:17:41

I'm not a Satriani fan at all but I would have gotten to Jimi, one of my main influences, and an amazing man.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 11/02/13 at 20:22:13

Kenny Burrell. Still doing it today. What tone and feel!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #26 - 11/02/13 at 21:21:50

A twofer Ry Cooder and John Hiatt!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/02/13 at 23:27:58

Just curious if anyone knows what hi-fi equipment Jimi is using in that pic?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/03/13 at 00:34:46

Another of my addicted sociopath favorites....Chet Baker.  I just got home and the Tubes are warming up and soon I'll go into the listening cave.  I'll let you know what I listened to tomorrow.  Mark.

images_1.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 11/03/13 at 10:12:47

OK, this will be a twofer.  You'll already know who they are if you read my "What's Spinning" post first.  I can still remember when I shunned vocals with my Jazz...what a fool. These two ladies have made my life so much richer.  Both have had a CD or two spot in my car for years...along with Bill Evans of course.

Ella_Fitzgerald_1962.JPG

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 11/03/13 at 10:14:45

I haven't figured out how to include two photos.  Here's Sarah...

sarah-vaughan.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #31 - 11/03/13 at 18:05:39

I used to play in bands as a drummer. One of my inspirations was Kenny Clarke, a jazz drummer of the 'forties through the 'seventies who had a swinging swinging style, no extraneousness to his playing at all, just direct and swinging and always supportive. A master!

The other inspiration for me was Tony Williams who started playing professionally at 16 with Jackie McLean and then Miles Davis and who was a force of nature, a truly four-limbed independent machine of ideas who really showed me what could be done with a drum kit and an inventive spirit. He left us far too young and he's sorely missed.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 11/03/13 at 18:45:24

Frank & Red Norvo, July, 1959

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 11/04/13 at 10:33:38

I can remember the first time I heard my next choice.....I was watching the film "The Bridges of Madison County" and kept hearing this haunting deep voice.  A little investigation revealed Johnny Hartman.  Shortly thereafter I purchased at least half a dozen CDs. In my "What's Spinning" choice he is heard with another favorite or should I say favorites....the whole band is incredible.  Everyone should have the "Complete John Coltrane Quartet on Impulse".  Later Coltrane got too difficult for me just as Miles Davis passed me by when he hit "Bitches Brew".

johnny-hartman-01.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #34 - 11/04/13 at 10:38:51

Interesting. I'm not much of a Hartman fan. I have three or four albums but I just don't play them much. I think he's a great talent but just doesn't reach me personally.

I have learned to love late Coltrane, and it was Filles De Kilamanjaro and Bitches Brew that I FIRST heard from Miles Davis, and I bought all the other electric Miles recordings as they came out before I started going back to the albums before that.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 11/04/13 at 10:47:00

I would have gotten to Sonny but recently I was listening to some of the "Complete Clifford Brown on Emarcy"....wonderful.  He led his life completely opposite of Art Pepper.  Clean living family man.  He even had a lot of life insurance when he died in a car wreak.

Clifford-Brown-9228111-1-402.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 11/04/13 at 20:15:32

Monk with  Pannonica....need I say more?

Nica-Rothschild-and-Thelo-001.jpg

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 11/04/13 at 20:44:01

Bill Bruford, drummer who brought drum expression to rock with King Crimson. Mesmeric.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #38 - 11/04/13 at 21:33:04

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #39 - 11/05/13 at 00:41:58

Mr. Warren Zevon.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 11/05/13 at 00:54:25

I was gambling in Havana
I took a little risk
Send lawyers, guns and money
They'll get me out of this

I'm hiding in Honduras
I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns and money
The shit has hit the fan.........

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 11/05/13 at 11:42:57

Over the years I have grown to love Jarrett's music almost as much as Bill Evans'....

keith-jarrett-Dec-2011.jpg

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 11/05/13 at 13:41:09

How about a little more participation...

joni-mitchell-bw-beret-cropped.jpg

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 11/05/13 at 13:52:27

Mary Lou Williams. A fascinating artist, from Pittsburg, gained prominence in the late thirties in Kansas City, went on to become both a mentor to many beboppers and an interesting modern jazz composer. Mary Lou was a devout Catholic and wrote several suites with religious themes that are vey interesting. In her later years she became quite a jazz promotor and educator.

I really enjoy her music and have as much of it as I can find.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 11/05/13 at 14:14:47

Ah, Mary Lou...I haven't listened to her in more than ten years.  When I discovered her, I accumulated quite a few CDs.  I'll have to see if I can find one.  Lon, thanks for clearing some of the cobwebs from my memory.  Mark.

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #45 - 11/05/13 at 21:17:35

This might get some wrinkled noses but I really like Herb Alpert, especially the Whipped Cream album.

image_007.jpg

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #46 - 11/05/13 at 21:19:23

One of my very best friends (Dave Laczko of WD-41) is a trumpeter and he loves those Herb Albert lps.

I like them. . . in small doses. Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 11/06/13 at 10:40:20

I know Jimi has already been posted but a pic of Jimi really should be seen in color.  Mark.

2b1d08ea01d2714a82785574e1434b4dcbecbc53.jpg

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #48 - 11/06/13 at 15:23:20

Agreed Mark! Nothing wrong with posting again, as long as it's not the same photo IMHO!

I know we're talking musicians, but I have no doubt you'd all agree with me that this counts.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 11/06/13 at 15:37:16

LR,  when I was in High School my Musical tastes were rather narrow and snobbish and wouldn't have included the likes of Queen, Hendrix or Led Zeppelin. Being a Jazz DJ in College, I was exposed to a lot more than the Fusion I preferred at the time.  I haven't stopped expanding my eclectic tastes since and have recordings of all of the above now although I think I only have a "Best Of Queen" CD...maybe I need another.  Which Studio recording would you recommend?  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print