Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 09:38:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS:  ZSTAGE & six tubes  --  SOLD! (Read 8143 times)
Zilch0
Verified Member

FS:  ZSTAGE & six tubes  --  SOLD!
10/05/13 at 21:24:56

Hi,

This item has been SOLD.  Thanks!  

----------------------------------------

http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/37/37e11d04_IMG_9953-t-1024s.jpeg

http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5a/5acab63d_IMG_0872_JJECC82-PSVANETSeriesMarkII12AU7-N...

This is the Decware ZSTAGE (Zen Triode Gain Stage) with the original equipment JJ 12AU7 and five more great tubes for rolling in the signature of your choice.  This is a fun addition for any solid state desktop rig, and can be a great cure for a chain that's too bright, dry, or analytical.    

The ZSTAGE is essentially a single-tube stereo pre-amp, with just one set of RCA inputs and outputs, that offers up to 5 dB of gain (depending on the tube you've selected) or attenuation down to zero.  It accepts 12AU7/E882CC -or- 12AT7 tubes, the latter offering more gain.

This is a great way to inject some tubeliciousness into your solid state desktop rig, but the ZSTAGE isn't just a tube buffer, which can offer only attenuation with, at best, an output that's a little less than unity gain.  The ZSTAGE also allows you to supply your amp with greater than unity gain, which, as Steve Deckert explains in the ZSTAGE manual, can increase the dynamics heard at your headphones or speakers.  

Steve doesn't say it in his manual, but in my experience, some amps are more sensitive to variations in input gain than others, not in terms of volume heard with more or less input gain, where all amps are pretty much created equal, but rather, in terms of an in increase or decrease in dynamics heard with more or less input gain once the volume is matched via the amp's volume control.  I've not really figured out how to tell which amps are most easily affected this way, except to insert the ZSTAGE between DAC and amp and just have a good listen, as you "ride the gain" - the term Steve Deckert uses to describe turning the volume of the amp down as you turn the input gain up at the ZSTAGE, or vice versa, turning the volume of the amp up as you turn the gain down at the ZSTAGE - with the idea being to maintain a constant SPL at your headphones or speakers while modifying the dynamics to suit your taste.

As a solid state guy, I found this to open up almost too many choices (combined with tube rolling) for my obcessive brain to handle.

Here is the Decware page describing the ZSTAGE:  https://www.decware.com/newsite/zstage.html

And here's a link to the manual, where you can read about "riding the gain":  https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZSTAGEMANUAL.pdf

I bought this unit used, to avoid that wait.  There's a sticker on the bottom showing that it was built in July 2012.  It's still in perfect condition, cosmetically and functionally.  The attached photographs show that I've taken very good care of everything.  I've never even attempted to have a look inside the ZSTAGE.  It's very clean.

I'm including in this sale every tube I've collected since I bought the ZSTAGE five months ago.  None of these tubes have more than about 75 hours on them and it would cost $278 to order them from the same vendors from which these came.

I've also included a very handy, $12 tube glove for pulling the tubes - remember to let the tubes cool first before removing - don't twist, just pull.  

I've already packed it, double-boxing within a much larger cardboard box with plenty of padding.

I will only accept payment by PayPal, but I will pay the fee, and I will also pay for UPS Ground shipping (providing you with a tracking number), to any address within the continental U.S. (48 states).

Now asking US $573.00 for the complete package, including the Decware ZSTAGE with original tube + 5 extra tubes + tube glove  

(All of which would cost $875, several phone calls, and a very long wait, if everything were ordered new.  You will basically be getting $24 off the price of a new ZSTAGE, plus all of the extra tubes and tube glove, for free along with free shipping and PayPal fees above the cost of a new ZSTAGE).

I reserve the right to refuse this sale if I have cause for concern.  (I'll be reasonable, of course.)  

Thanks!

Mike

IP Logged
P K
Seasoned Member

Re: FS:  ZSTAGE & six tubes
Reply #1 - 11/02/13 at 01:20:25

Still available?

IP Logged
Zilch0
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/02/13 at 02:58:52

Yes, it is!  Double-boxed and ready to ship.

Smiley

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/02/13 at 03:45:02

I'll take it if PK doesn't.

IP Logged
Zilch0
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/02/13 at 04:55:42

Wow!  When it rains, it pours.   Smiley

PK only made an inquiry, but with your willingness to give him first refusal, let's wait a day, at least, for him to respond...

Thanks!

Mike

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/02/13 at 15:07:46

I was the second owner of this little guy! It has barely been used by the three owners and is just like new. It was a pleasure to do business with Mike. We need to find this ZStage a good home.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/02/13 at 20:19:11

Zilch0, sounds like a plan.

Orangecrush, thanks for the info!

IP Logged
Zilch0
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/03/13 at 11:43:04

Hi TubeNube,

PK sent me a PM suggesting you and I proceed.  I'll send you a PM, now.

Thanks!

Mike

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/03/13 at 18:33:06

Hey Mike,

I just sent you a PM in reply.

Randy

IP Logged
Zilch0