Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 14:27:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any live streaming to Decfest 2013? (Read 26007 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Any live streaming to Decfest 2013?
10/05/13 at 08:50:11

I believe last year there was some hi-def streaming ... is there a link for this year as well?  Would love to live vicariously through the lucky guys and gals able to attend! Grin

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Any live streaming to Decfest 2013?
Reply #1 - 10/05/13 at 08:54:57

Never mind, it's linked from the home page ... for anyone who's interested ...

Decfest Live Broadcast: https://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011.html

Wow it's got to be 3:00 in the morning there and they are still going strong ... I got to make it there one year!

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 10/05/13 at 23:20:36

I am currently listening in while at work.  All I can say is awesome!! I totally wish I was there.  For a live feed, it is perfect.  

Does anyone know if we are able to record this live feed??  The music they are playing is great.  Hopefully we can find out the song list, because I would love to buy some of the music they are playing.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/13 at 07:49:57

A song list would be great, or even better a bit of text on the screen displaying the artist/track. I don't know how feasible that may be. Really good stuff playing there!

I've been able to grab lots of tracks info using Shazam, if that's any help to anyone. Give it a try!

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 10/06/13 at 17:02:11

Assuming there was a recording of the even (or if you catch a song live) my solution is an Android phone app (probably available on iPhone but I don't like apple) called Shazam (yes, like the super hero).

I've caught videos on you tube where they didn't list the song or have been at a movie theater, or in this weekends case at Decfest and I'm like WOW what is this song! Pop out the phone, fire up Shazam and let it listen to the song for a minute, it will show you the song, artist, and album it came from. Then I use the "share" feature to E-mail it's findings to myself so I can recall it later (I have memory problems so this is a huge help). This is what I got in my E-mail after listening Friday night:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Melting World - Suspended Memories & Steve Roach & Jorge Reyes & Suso Saiz‏

Actions
Eric Ventura 10/05/13
To: Eric Ventura
Picture of Eric Ventura
I just used Shazam to discover Melting World by Suspended Memories & Steve Roach & Jorge Reyes & Suso Saiz. http://shz.am/t61401852

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/06/13 at 22:46:30

@ Lonely Raven ... what were some of the highlights for you this year and were you able to make a decision of the KT-66 setup for your new Torii?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 10/07/13 at 03:10:41

Oh yeah, the MK IV is built for the KT-66 - don't even bother with the EL34.

As for "my Torii", you can scratch that and replace it with "Mystery". I've put my spare kidney up for sale.

As for highlights, it was honestly just meeting people and chatting about everything and anything.

Hardware wise, I enjoyed listening to my 15 year old Zen Amp against the newer generations. I tried not to listen to too many different speakers, since I've got the the MG944. But as soon as I got a chance to control the room, I went nuts with my audio files, Steve's well broken in MG944s, and all the new amps. I really, really enjoyed the Mystery amp...I also hate the Mystery amp; only because going to be a long while before I can afford one...

Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/07/13 at 14:14:08

I enjoyed the fest as well.  It's a great opportunity to give everything a listen and line up your buying priorities.

Hands down the best combo I heard was the mystery amp with the modified DM945s on the passive sub stands.  I liked the HR-1s with the mystery amp too, but for some reason, the 945s gave me more of what I liked.

Raven, it was good to meet you.  We will have to get together some time.  I set up my desk setup in the build room and ran a couple of SE84s through it with both the old and new trapeziums and the sound was remarkable.  I saw what I thought was your amp on the bench, but didn't want to plug it in without asking.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 10/07/13 at 15:11:52

I hope Steve posts the Feed Thread...today from the Fest. I was unable to view/Listen in on it this weekend.

Lonely Raven & Palomino, sounds like the Mystery Amp was a big hit! Thanks for your input.

As soon as Steve puts the Mystery Amp on the Website with the passive sub stands for the DM945's...I am ordering the three of them (DM945's/sub stands/Mystery Amp).

I have been fortunate as of late to sell some other things and assets to be able to make these purchases. I recently brought in the NAD M51, Anedio D2, Simaudio Moon W5.3 SE Amplifier & PS Audio AC-10 Power Cord......I am keeping all four of these pieces too.    -S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 10/07/13 at 15:26:55

The AC-10 is really nice, glad you are keeping it. . . I still have one more in my system to replace with an AC-12. Smiley I LOVE the AC-12 but the AC-10 is really good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/07/13 at 15:46:00

Guys,
What DAC was Steve using. I know if was a Teac but which model?

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #11 - 10/07/13 at 16:03:08

Stone, You'll really like the DM945. I was getting a little grumpy because I swear they sound better than my MG944. The bass has a full, yet controlled/punchy quality to it that my MG944 don't have. It's no wonder Steve is discontinuing the 944s. My fiance even commented that it was good I'm running a 21" sub-woofer with 2000 watts behind it, otherwise we'd both be grumping about how the 945 outclassed the 944. The 945 had some other qualities that I think were really nice, but I honestly tried not to give them too much attention...as I said, I've already got good speakers and I'm trying not to covet. My focus was on the amps.

Hands down, the Mystery amp was the star of the show. I really don't think anyone bothered to plug in the Torii Monoblocks the whole weekend.

tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/07/13 at 17:36:34

The MG944's are being discontinued? That's too bad...  I've owned a pair for 6 years, which have been used in my second system with Decware ZSM Monoblocks.

The 944's are great speakers!  The news they are being dropped from the line, will motivate me to finally upgrade my pair with Mundorf or Jupiter caps.

Did Steve say they were getting too expensive to build?

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 10/07/13 at 17:47:18

Steve mentioned to me when I got my pair some six weeks back that he was considering discontinuing them...Bob (Ziggy) said they were disco now with the 945 and the bass box. So I'm not sure it's official, but it sounds like it is. That's about all I know about it really.

I wish I didn't have to keep my head in a vice when I listen...and I'm hoping I can pull that holographic imaging I'm still searching for...if I can get that imaging, then I'll be happy with my MG944 for many years to come. I'm still working on figuring out placement of my speakers, and building diffusers. Hopefully when I get all the diffusers built, I'll find what I'm looking for.

Just FYI, for those that are curious, I have my 21" subwoofer crossed over at 40hz, and the sub has a 3db point around 10hz. So it's really only filling in the bottom end, not taking over the bass from the 944.

tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/07/13 at 18:04:29

Lonely Raven,  Thanks for all the info on the 944's, and your subwoofer set-up.  I may try our your subwoofer idea in the future.  It sounds nice.

Once you get the diffusers built, and in place,  I feel you'll probably get the imaging you're searching for.

I'm using Decware diffusers in both systems, and have been more than happy with them.  The cost to get them shipped does add up, unfortunately.  I've got another pair of them being shipped this week, that I ordered as a kit, just to get the price down.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/07/13 at 18:46:51

Stone,

Steve will no doubt offer this information when you get to purchase time, but he is now running a modified version of the DM945 with a new phase plug to go with the passive sub box.  To me, this sounded like a completely different animal.  Really helps the mid range.

That combo with the mystery amp really was stunning.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #16 - 10/07/13 at 20:02:27

I saw a bunch of diffusers delivered to Decware this weekend. As a woodworker, I can say the ones I saw unwrapped looked quite nice!

Mine are going to be quite similiar to Steve's, though I might go with 6" depth (since I have the room to do so), and mine are going to be 2' wide and 6' tall, with space below them to let the bass stretch out into the adjoining room, or to put an absorber in the bottom. I really like Steve's diffuser design...it covers the frequencies you really need to in order to get that time delay and mid-high frequency diffusion.

maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #17 - 10/07/13 at 21:18:26

Quote:
As soon as Steve puts the Mystery Amp on the Website with the passive sub stands for the DM945's...I am ordering the three of them (DM945's/sub stands/Mystery Amp).

Stone - the passive bass extension "stands" for the 945's are in stock and available for sale - words directly from Steve's mouth at the fest - I ask.  I also saw more than one pair sitting around.

Lonely R - All those diffusor's you saw stacked up in the amp build room were mine - and they came home with me! - place your order.

I also came home with a pair of 945's.  These little guys struck a special note with me at Zenfest last year, so I called up DeVon a couple months before this years fest and had her hold a pair for me to pickup while I was there.  I even got lucky and DeVon put some break-in hours on them in her office before I got them!  I don't have them out of their boxes yet - didn't get home till about 9 last night.  I may have a chance to get them setup this evening... so many toys and so much music to listen to - so little time...!

Actually, all the new gear and audio projects are to keep me occupied inside once the snow starts blowing...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #18 - 10/07/13 at 21:32:58

Quote:
Guys,
What DAC was Steve using. I know if was a Teac but which model?

deucekazoo - DAC used by Steve at the fest is this one I believe
--> http://www.teac.com/product/ud-501/

Palomino
the phase plug/no dust cap version of the 945 is an “option” per Steve – they will be offered both ways.  Steve recommends the phase-plug version if you are using the passive bass extender stands.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/07/13 at 21:38:20

Those new 945s with stands sound awesome.

LR, I agree with tgarden. Though I have no diffusers, I have some other room things going on, and I got amazing imaging with the 944s in my room...deep, wide and saturated...at least on recordings that have good imaging!

I think here, they were quite similar to the HR-1s which are supposed to do this more easily. With both the image is brilliant. Also, have you measured your bass. My room exaggerates bass, but I never thought of a sub with the 944s. I can totally imagine how your sub setup must sound really good though regardless of room.

tgarden,

My 944s are older, and I don't know how the more recent ones are configured, but a few years ago or so, Bob was playing with a coil for one of the mid/bas drivers. I had a weird tear develop in one of my drivers (I think Bob said that was a first!) and had to replace the lot for a correct repair. I put in the coil Bob graciously sent, and the speaker seemed good...more controlled and and for me...too polite, but green so I went on, playing them while I was gone and when I was home for some time.

After some good breakin, I still thought they were missing some immediacy, punch and flow for my tastes...showed up particularly in big drum and low string bass hits...but was heard throughout...they just sounded bigger and realer (though a bit less accurate) without the coil to me. I guess yours are likely without the coil.

Lonely Raven,

Your comment "The bass has a full, yet controlled/punchy quality to it that my MG944 don't have" made me think of this. Not that the 944s might necessarily sound more like the 945s without the coil, but your comment reminded me of what I heard before the coil on well broken in drivers, and similarly after I disconnected the coil...The top driver just drove harder doing stuff I liked. Since you are handy, might be worth an email to Bob to see if yours have the coil, and if so, maybe run a straight wire for exploration purposes. If Bob kept the coil I'm sure there is good reason. I just like mine better without.

Both:

I have not explored the 944 caps much, as they are not listened to much. But in the HR-1s replacing the same value cap (bigger than the 944, a 3.3) with a Mundorf Supreme, the resistor with a Mundorf of slightly smaller value (2.7 as opposed to 3) and compensating by bypassing the resistor and cap with a dirt cheap, .1 K40Y-9 PIO cap, the same tweeter as the 944 sounds awesome...smoother, more refined, more texture and detail without feeling too detailed.

Don't recall the 944 caps, and I am thinking I recall they do not even have a resistor ???. They are mounted on the interior of the binding post thingy if yours are like mine. Maybe the caps are 2.2. If so, kind of an odd configuration, but I might explore a Mundorf Supreme 1.8 parallel with a a .22 K40Y-9. Edit: or maybe a Mundorf Supreme 2.2 with a .047 K40Y-9...that is if they are stock 2.2.

I use the K40Y-9 in my Torii, and it makes it hard to get around to putting in the Jupiters I bought. Though I bet they will be even better, the Russians were night and day from the stock Wimas in terms of organic, smooth detail, micro detail, and flow once burned in a bit...at least in serious listening mode.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-22uf-400V-K40Y-9-RUSSIAN-PIO-CAPACITOR-/221284674173?p...

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #20 - 10/07/13 at 22:16:13

Lonely Raven.....Palomino, Steve did modify the DM945 port to run with the passive connection sub....cool.

Lon, yes, the AC-10 is a great Power Cord. I still need to compare it head to head with my Kimber PK-10 Palladian for Solid State into my new Reference MOON W5.3 SE (for Solid State) and run the PS Audio AC-10 to my SE84CS & CKC as well.

Well, while waiting for DM945/Passive Sub & Mystery Amp to make it onto the Website.....I went and pre-ordered the Mystery AMP! I'm assuming you guys listened to it at the Fest with a Stepped Attenuator and the Black KEMET Power Supply Caps?! Also, short run RCA connection....XLR only needed for long runs of cable....if you're not using a Reference Single Ended RCA cable (ie - Kimber Select 1030 RCA). -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #21 - 10/07/13 at 23:10:42

I sure wish we could easily quote...where did the quote button in these forums go?

Anywho,

Will - long story short, my MG944 has a crossover with Mundorf caps in it.  Unfortunately, the way Bob built mine, the X-over was installed before the speaker was fully assembled...so I can't get at it. I could bypass it by clipping the leads and running wire to the speakers (adding a capacitor of course). But when I questioned Bob about the speakers this weekend, he said he spent 6 months working on this crossover, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. That, and I'm too lazy to want to buy caps, pull speakers, run wire inside, solder and reassemble.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #22 - 10/08/13 at 00:03:27

Maddog, I missed (just noticed) and you mentioned Steve has the passive bass extension stands available for sale. I will call Decware to order!  Thanks.

Well, I'm done rambling on about buying this Speaker or that Amp.

I found a Solid State Amp that does a lot of things right....not Tubes...but it never can be. It is a keeper though... .

I found a couple more digital front ends in the NAD M51 & Anedio D2...I was looking for to expand into hi-rez -but-do redbook right/right now. My venerable Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro 32 & 3.0 DAC keeps going strong too. All 3 of these DACS have preamps.

Ordering the DM945 with the bass extension stands will play very nice with my SE84CS (stock-never to be touched/you don't mess with this MOJO of perfection) & Super Zen CKC.

Getting the Mystery Amp will drive anything I have and the DM945's with passive bass extension stands.

=Stone done.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #23 - 10/08/13 at 00:28:35

famous last words....

will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/08/13 at 00:32:33

Lonely Raven. Got you. I just can't help playing around with stuff if it is logical toward the sound I am after. That crossover sounds different than what I tried. Or maybe it is the same and seems different since the the cap is only on the tweeter in mine and the coil only on a mid driver. But maybe things just kept getting more refined as Bob went.

Bob liked it better when I put the coil in mine too, that's why I tried it. Different rooms, different tastes, but the same neighborhood. I really like the 944s.

Clearly the HR-1s came to me with Bob's exacting standards too. But I made some progressive and logical changes to my mind and finally found that a great speaker became pretty well flawless for my system/room. In serious listening mode, to me, notably better than stock. So working from Bob's brilliant work has been a really good thing here.

To each his own! Wink

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/08/13 at 02:28:18

FWIW
Bob told me that (IIRC sometime after Decfest last year) the 944 went back to just a cap on the tweeter.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #26 - 10/08/13 at 04:47:57

Quote:
Bob told me that (IIRC sometime after Decfest last year) the 944 went back to just a cap on the tweeter

Maybe after I get my Mystery amp, and get some listening time in, I'll try just a cap on the tweeter and see how that pans out. Right now I'm in "scrambling to save money" mode so I have enough for the Mystery amp, plus a hearty expansion to my album collection with which to enjoy the amp and speakers!  :)

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #27 - 10/08/13 at 05:45:10

....done with hardware for few years I should have said.  8-)

Fun stuff:
After the Mystery Amp comes into the stable...I look forward to some tube rolling. Using the K120's in the MA for comparison with the KT66.

Putting hours on the DM945 & sub bass passive enclosure.

I have some Cryode' EV tubes to get in my CKC.

Rotating the 3 digital front ends around my 3 Systems.

Revisiting my room treatments.

General Tweaks to Systems.

I won't miss boxing up and returning or selling things....which I have done over the last 18 months.

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #28 - 10/08/13 at 06:48:33

Did you ever get around to showing off your room treatment? I was curious about what you had and how it was setup.

stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #29 - 10/08/13 at 14:23:31

I will.

....for starter's I'm going to get my Systems listed in the Pictures thread and then give it a "bump" when I get some pic's in there.   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 10/08/13 at 14:26:21

Stone, some more on the passives:

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 10/08/13 at 14:33:58

It basically adds a larger DNA horn to the DM945.  I believe I heard the promised 25 Hz.  It adds more than just bass.  The soundstage is huge as well.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #32 - 10/08/13 at 14:57:38

Thanks Palomino. I am calling Sara or DeVon in another hour to see if I can get these now with a pair of DM945's. Very cool...thanks again for putting those up!  -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3