Send Topic Print
Anedio D2 DAC (Read 13219 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Anedio D2 DAC
09/30/13 at 22:58:35

The Anedio D2 DAC deserves its own Thread!

I can't say enough about the music that is pouring out of this DAC...with all of 30+ hours on it!  

Gentlemen, ASK To be forgiven -not- for PERMISSION!  ....just buy one!

I am going to have a hard time NOT returning my NAD M51 over the next two weeks! This DAC is a bargain for $1250 period!

Thank you Anedio, like my Audio Alchemy gear....you made it everything it should be....and left out the not needed fru fru!

Orangecrush, U da' Man!   -Stone

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Re: Anedio D2 DAC
Reply #1 - 10/01/13 at 00:44:35

I am so thrilled for you Stone! Amazing what a boutique DAC desisgner can accomplish.

I know that others here thought I was exaggerating or crazy, that there just can't be such night and differences with modern Dacs, but the Anedio D2 is a very, very special unit. The designer James is very obsessive about the little details that he believes matter. Its the only DAC I have heard where there is no discernible difference between the USB and Coax BNC. Although I do think a good BNC can be used to add some slight system tuning. My Oyaide BNC might be just a touch smoother than the USB.

I don't remember the burn in to be very long which surprised me.

Do you see what I mean about how the incredible clarity, channel separation, resolution and low noise ground floor is a almost a shock at first? Yet the highs are so smooth. Do you have any hi res music to listen to? You can turn high res music up to levels you never thought possible with absolutely no glare or irritation. It takes a awhile for your ears to perceive everything you are now hearing. Its like when your enter a very quiet room, its take a awhile to start to hear all the delicate nuances in the room.

It really is a bargain! It really makes my Torii shine. Are you using without a preamp? That is really where excels.

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/01/13 at 01:10:40

Wonder why the Anedio D2 doesn't do DSD.

Resonessence Labs uses the same the ESS Sabre DAC ES9018 in their
Mirus DAC and it does DSD (both 64 and 128).

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 10/01/13 at 01:38:24

Yes OC, I am using the D2 without a preamp with incredible clarity.

No hi-rez yet. ....just old school Illuminati D-60 Coax to D2 to Kimber Select 1030 RCA to SE84CS ....and right now to my Simaudio MOON W5.3 SE Amplifier.

We know when the Law of diminishing returns kicks in. We could pay more for Weiss or a Mirus...........but why?    -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/01/13 at 01:51:21

I spent some quality time with the Weiss DAC2 (I wanted to try Firefire with my MAC for some studio editing for a good friend) but preferred the Anedio D2 for its slightly higher transparency. Otherwise, hard to tell the difference. Like Decware, your getting factory direct pricing with the Anedio.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/01/13 at 02:20:32

Orangecrush. I believed you. If I was not so content with the Tranquility's gorgeous smooth clarity, or if I were interested in highres, I would have been investigating the Anedio D2 DAC based on your observations. But I have no urge to look with the Tranquility playing so beautifully. And I have to say, I know great circuits can be made with a lot of parts, but I am so seduced by well implemented simple circuits.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing + feet
  IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 10/01/13 at 02:35:44

I was impressed by the thoughtful design notes on Anedio's website, Project86's review of the D1 on head-fi, and many positive impressions of the D2. Does indeed sound like it's something special.

kana, there didn't seem to be much talk around the forums about DSD when the D2 was being designed some 3 years ago. Two years ago Jason at Schiit Audio expressed scepticism about DSD on head-fi, he and Mike Moffat having seen many formats come and go over the years. I stopped following the discussion but I think their conclusion, finally, was enough people were asking about it they needed to offer the option. Hence, Loki.

BMC offer it with the just-released PureDac, as do many recent releases. It would be no surprise if Anedio's next DAC - if there is one - does too. I guess that's up to James though...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7 - 10/14/13 at 18:44:13

Anedio D2 deserves another bump IMHO.

I am currently using S/PDIF only (redbook).

I returned the NAD M51, because when driving my CS or CKC I could not achieve higher volume levels when wanted with it. The preamp within the Anedio has no problem pushing these two Amps loud before moderate compression (like my AA digital front end can).  The M51 was fine with SS however. Its failure with my SE84CS & CKC sent it back though. I also preferred the Anedio D2 in the bass, extended highs (shimmer of cymbals) & soundstage. In other words...a better DAC in my humble opinion.

Now I realize, I may have forfeited what the M51 could do with hi-rez. However, I am confident the Anedio D2 (orangecrush)....will do quite well when I crack that nut.

Right now Listening to Lee Ritenour-Rit's House....just textural bliss!

Bedroom System:
Pioneer SACD DV-563A for my Transport
XV2 Stereovox Digital RCA
Anedio D2 DAC
Kimber Hero with WBT RCA's
Super Zen CKC
Zen Styx
Polk LS-90 with Kimber Select 3033 Jumpers to Low Pass Speaker Terminals
Large TipToes-Tri-configuration underneath Speaker's with 28lb X 3 per each Speaker Vibrapods

-Stone

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/15/13 at 02:27:33

Got a D2 out here on the 14 day trial.

I guess it's really nice for the money, but compared to my Pandora it's no contest.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 10/15/13 at 05:04:03

I love it for redbook via CD transport. The preamp driving my SE84CS or CKC is excellent compared to the NAD M51 I returned.   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/15/13 at 06:57:12

Quote:
kana813 said,
I guess it's really nice for the money, but compared to my Pandora it's no contest.

Is that the Aesthetix Pandora DAC?  $eems like a $erious piece of harware $$$... Smiley I would hope it would beat the Anedio D2 DAC, if not I would ask for my money back!  JK Grin

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/15/13 at 22:34:45

The Anedio D2 can effortlessly play with the $5000 DACs.  Incredible value. Of course there is ALWAYS something better AND more expensive!

IP Logged
kana813
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/16/13 at 04:49:23

Quote:
orangecrush said -The Anedio D2 can effortlessly play with the $5000 DACs.  Incredible value. Of course there is ALWAYS something better AND more expensive!

I respect your opinion and if you're happy with the D2 great!

IMO, the Anedio D2 doesn't come close to the Aesthetix Pandora's performance or any of the other DACs I've heard in my main system.

It would probably be great in a desktop system with small powered speakers.

The cost to get that last 5-10% of performance in this hobby has always been expensive.

It seems like there's a new DAC introduced every week. The good thing about the Pandora is it's designed to be upgradable.

Aloha Decware Forum, I'm going Holoholo again.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 10/16/13 at 13:01:45

Quote:
IMO, the Anedio D2 doesn't come close to the Aesthetix Pandora's performance or any of the other DACs I've heard in my main system.

Don't hold back man...tell us how you really feel.  ;D

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/17/13 at 05:52:02

Quote:
kana813 said,

Sounds like you were not impressed ... AT ALL! Shocked Grin

However, I guess this goes to show how each person has their own individual tastes and impressions.

Considering the amount of DACs that Stone has gone through as of late and him keeping that one ~ I would have thought it would have faired a bit better and be more worthy of better components than "a desktop system and small powered speakers".

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 10/21/13 at 04:28:14

In my experience, you have to pay more than $5000 on a DAC to get that last 5% and the money would be better spent on tube upgrades.

Kana813, on previous threads (before your first exit) you said you liked the PWD MKII more then Weiss DAC 202 and you returned the Torii MKIII before the 30 day trial ended because you preferred the Leben CS600. That indicates you like a more warm and forgiving sound signature as both those DACS and amps are polar opposites.  

I totally get why you would not like the Anedio D2 DAC, it really would not fit your listening preferences.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #16 - 10/23/13 at 03:28:55

The Anedio D2 continues to impress me. I moved the D2 to the Living Room System. Dynamic, with superb Tonal balance.

I am Listening to it right now with:
Sony DVP-NS57P as Transport (over priced TPorts can stick it-I've tried just about all of them that matter-this little sh_t delivers)
Illuminati D-60 RCA for Digital IC (Redbook)
Anedio D2 DAC
Kimber Hero IC RCA
.....driving my XPA-2 Emotiva Amplifier/Kimber PK10 Palladian Power Kord & Kimber 8TC Speaker Cable.....direct with the D2 preamp....to my Polk SRS SDA 1.2 Speakers.

Very musical for Solid State (where I can actually enjoy it).

I need to order a separate Amp Stand for my pending Mystery Amplifier & 1 meter Kimber 1026 (meaning: pull the XPA-2 out and the Hero out)...replaced by the Mystery Amp with 1026 IC.....with the 8TC to the SDA 1.2's.  I have a feeling it is going to be a winning combination with KT66 Or KT120's!   -S

Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
to PS Audio P3