Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 15:49:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Turntable and Cartridge Recomendations (Read 10152 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Turntable and Cartridge Recomendations
09/28/13 at 20:10:57

Lon, I am considering upgrading my 35 year old TT and recently read a review of the Rega RP-6 with Exact Cart....which is very similar to your set up.  Could you please comment on what made you chose these and what about the exact's sound do you like.

I have decided to stick with MM Carts and recently read about the Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood MM Cart in a 2002 review that makes me think the current Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 Ebony MM might be a great choice.

So, I would like to hear from everybody what they have and why they made their choice.  I listen to mainly jazz but also listen to Classical, Blues and Rock...so I need something that works well with all music. I am currently waiting on much of my system but will have a Torii MK IV, CSP 3, ZP3 and HR-1 speakers.  I have increased what I am willing to spend on the TT and Cart to $2500 to $3000 but don't feel you have to limit your recommendations....I really just want a pleasing musical result.  Thanks, Mark.  PS...in the meantime I'm using a Pioneer PL-540 circa 1978.  Does anyone know how good this is compared to new TTs...I've looked for info on it and haven't come up with much.  Would it be worthwhile to have a Cart like the Clearaudio I mentioned ($900) mounted on the Pioneer while I'm deciding on a TT?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Turntable and Cartridge Recomendations
Reply #1 - 09/28/13 at 21:32:23

I had been out of the turntable listening zone for a long time, having a B&O from the 'eighties that I inherited from my wife's aunt to hook up now and then to a Hafler preamp I had on hand to listen to records now and then and transfer some to cdr.

I began to realize (partly with Steve's help as he mentioned on the board a few times that I probably ought to be listening to vinyl) that I had been trying to make my digital front ends sound like what I remembered from the best vinyl systems I've known. And so I started researching turntables. I had an invitation to go over to a friend of a friend's and check out their system, and there was a Denon turntable there and a Rega paired with a Denon integrated amp. I really liked the sound of the Rega, it's liveliness got to me, it seemed to have a real "drive." So I did a lot of reading online and decided to try a RP3 that was for sale on audiogon and paired it with a PS Audio GCPH which I also found on audiogon. This was a very nice pairing and I then decided to order a ZP3 which really (I mean REALLY) put me further towards killer vinyl sound.

The first RP3 had an Elys2 and the TTPSU. One day I did something really stupid and I lost one channel of the output of the RP3. Envisioning a long long wait for repair at the local Rega dealer, I cast about for a back up table and was offered another RP3, this with an Exact2 mounted. Ironically when I set up the new RP3 (using the TTPSU) and brought in the first for repair, it was ready for me to pick up the next day! But the second RP3 remains in my main system, and I bought a white belt for it and I do prefer this turntable to the first. The Exact2 gives a bit more of a detailed sound, but still has that vivid warmth that the Elys2 offered. What I guess I like most about the RP3 is the drive, the "PRAT" thing (Pace, Rhythm and Timing") that goes a long way to making music seem real to me. The TTPSU and the white belt both contribute nicely and are worthwhile upgrades--they help increase stability and between the two you'd think you were listening to cd as far as wow and flutter go.

I'm very happy with the RP3 and I bet you'd be happy with an RP6 and the Exact2 is a great cartridge to consider. I have never tried other cartridges on my RP3s but the Rega ones fit on the tone arm so well. . . I'd probably keep one on there, I bet the synergy is better than many another. The Exact2 also matches up with the ZP3 very well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/29/13 at 01:12:19

Mark, first off I`d like to say `way to go`! 3 Decware amps & HR-1`s is some going, and I can see your advance planning for a TT & cartridge is just how I thought when Decware amps began sending me into a semi daydream about a new cartridge to take the music to a new level. The ZP3 allowed my set up to bloom before I ordered pre/power Decwares`,
and then it was just a matter of time before I was searching for a good  cartridge.

At the moment it`s a Dynavector 20xl and starting to show it`s age ( or more likely it`s limitations ) sometimes. It`s been a steady upgrade over the years...Ortofon, Linn k9, Audio Technica at oc9. Turntables I cant really help you. I had (still have) a Rega planar 3 & the arm since the mid 80`s. Now it`s a Roksan radius, 5 yrs now so pre the new one. A good upgrade from the old rega.....but as you know there are plenty
of tasty decks out there for 2+ £k. Should the cart equal the price of the TT ? I think so...or thereabouts. So I`ve been looking at carts way over the TT`s price. The amps performance tell me it`s ok. You could be smitten into wanting a classy cart. Just saying.
The regas being fixed pivot are more suited to mm than uni pivot.
And as Lon says they do have superb snap and pace . The unipivot is more, well, try and check one out, there is a difference.
The only mm`s I fancied were the Music Maker classic and a Decca jubilee. Though not true mm`s but moving irons they fell into the appropriate deck/cart ratio (ish), and wont need an su.
I cant help it though, now the EMT jsd is calling me.
.syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/29/13 at 15:26:08

Mark, congrats on the new upcoming gear.  I just got my Torii MK IV last week and I'm still seeing what it can do.

I use a Marantz TT 15S1 TT.  I comes with the Clearaudio Virtuoso ebony wood.  I've used MM carts forever and this is the best one to date.  This setup is still sold for about $1,500 and getting the Virtuoso makes it a super value.  Clearaudio makes the table for Marantz to their specs and it has some nice features.  Setup is foolproof with this cartridge.  I have also used an Ortofon with it as well.

Scott
[img][/img]

TT_small_001.jpg

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/29/13 at 16:06:22

Mark,

I'm currently running a rp6 with black ortofon 2m stylus...sound is marvelous through my zp3, Torii III and i couldn't be happier.  Really like the all black look really sharp. Unlike others on the site i don't have my zp3 running through my csp2+ although once my zp3 is completely broken in i will probably try it. Have not heard the rp6 with the exact although i've heard it also sounds great.  If you do go with the black ortofon 2m i suggest getting the spacer (at 2mm) placed under the tonearm cuz the stylus is larger than the exact.  
Thankfully with all the decware equipment the turntable will be running through it will no doubt sound great no matter what direction you go.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/01/13 at 23:49:41

Thanks for everyone's input.  I am very close to getting the RP6 with Exact 2.  I just want to hear the combo in person.  Have to find a dealer in Dallas, TX.  Any suggestions?

Lon, I like your last two selections on "What's Spinning".  A couple nights ago I listened to  a late 80's Vinyl reissue of "Milestones".  Was your's Vinyl?  If so how does Jazz sound with your rig?  And I think Stone has been in my house going through my Music collection...hehe

I listened to a little Monk the other night.  This Live double LP recorded in Stockholm was excellent.    http://www.amazon.com/Thelonious-Monk-Live-Stockholm-1961/dp/B0087CXXSY/ref=sr_1...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/02/13 at 00:14:54

I have about 400 jazz records. They sound great on my system! All vinyl does.

Yeah, I was actually listening to Milestones on the new SACD from Mobile Fidelity. Sounds amazing. I have a vinyl copy too but it's "fake stereo" and does not sound as nice.

I love Monk. I have everything officially released, I think. Plus. . . a lot of bootlegs. Don't tell anyone! Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
cbauer210
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/02/13 at 22:57:16

I love my setup....I'm not sure how it stacks up against some of the real pros out there though. It consists of:

Thorens TD125 mk2
Shure M97xE Cartridge
Jico S.A.S. Stylus
Zen Triode ZP3 Phono Stage
Zen Torii Mk3 Amp
Klipsch Kg4 Speakers

To me the setup really sings. I have a fairly eclectic mix of records but it really shines with music that has a lot of texture. I tried many amp, cartridge, needle combos before I fell in love with this one. The Jico stylus is a total game changer too. The difference in detail is night and day.

IP Logged
cbauer210
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/02/13 at 23:05:50

pics  :)

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 10/03/13 at 00:07:13

All those tubes...makes my pants tight in the front.   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/04/13 at 18:09:57

Ok everybody, I ordered the Rega RP 6 TT with Exact 2 Cart and it will arrive next Tuesday.  So this is where I stand in the Hi Fi game at this point.  Thanks Again, Mark.

Zu Audio "Soul" speakers
Decware Taboo III Amp
Decware CSP 3 Pre Amp
Jolida 100a CDP  (silver)  
Audeze 2.2 headphones with Toxic Cables...Silver widows
Sennhieser HD800 headphones
5 sets of Decware Silver Reference Interconnects
2 sets Zu Audio Libtec speaker cables
3 Zu Audio Mission power cables
1  pair Zu Audio Gede interconnects
More than a dozen NOS tubes
ZP 3 Phono Stage
Pioneer PL-540 TT

Ordered but yet to arrive:
Rega RP 6 with Exact 2 Cart.
Decware Torii MK IV Amp
Decware HR 1 speakers
Running Springs Audio..."Haley" power conditioner

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/05/13 at 09:03:13

Quote:
mark58 said,
Ok everybody, I ordered the Rega RP 6 TT with Exact 2 Cart and it will arrive next Tuesday.

I don't think you will be disappointed, the Rega RP6 and Exact 2 is my TT and cart as well although I'm running it with a Rega Fono MM and Taboo Mk II.

You have a stellar setup and I'm jealous of your ZP3 and CSP3 ... those are on my wish list! Grin

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/05/13 at 14:36:34

Hi,  As Beowulf said, you have a stellar setup!

Once it arrives and you get some hours on it, you're going to love that Running Springs Haley (new version with the platinum caps).

It was a huge upgrade over the PS Audio Quintet I had in my system,
and an upgrade over the two PS PPP's I've owned.  Way better built, too!

Glad to see you're getting the Rega combo.  Should sound great with your jazz LPs.

Have fun!

Mike

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/06/13 at 14:02:03

Another question for everyone.  I bought an older ZP3 not yet set up or unpacked.  My question is with it's two phono inputs, one if the front and one in the back....can I have two TTs hooked up at the same time?  I'd like to have my new Rega for records in good shape and old Pioneer for trashier LPs. Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print