Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 18:56:44 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Volume control (Read 12116 times)
Spirit84
Verified Member

Question about Volume control
09/13/13 at 23:51:58

My first post!
Question:
I ordered the Zenbox with a volume control.
Can someone explain to me how I would use the Zenbox and take advantage of the volume control.
For example say I had a Cd transport and a dac, and a Power amp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Question about Volume control
Reply #1 - 09/14/13 at 00:19:02

WELCOME!

Put ye olde ZBox in between the DAC and the power amp and you can control the volume. It's not as good a volume control as a CSP3 or CSP2+ etc. but it will do.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Spirit84
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/13 at 01:53:50

Hi Lon:
Put ye olde ZBox in between the DAC and the power amp and you can control the volume. It's not as good a volume control as a CSP3 or CSP2+ etc. but it will do.

Because I am so new to this, could you please tell me what the difference is.  This is actually my first Decware product and my first passive item.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/14/13 at 03:24:48

I'm not the best person to answer as far as the technicality, but I believe that the ZBox varies the volume in a different, less totally linear way than the CSP series preamps do. Also the CSP series preamps have adjustable output gain per channel, and a far larger power supply. The ZBox can't allow you to tailor the sound the way the others do. The ZBox does offer some tonal and textural changes in a different way, but the CSP series preamps offer greater weight and dynamics to the sound.

The main difference I suppose is that the ZBox does not increase gain, but the CSP preamps dish out gobs of gain. And this has a large sonic impact.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print