Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

We're never done
09/12/13 at 12:09:27

My brother asked me a question a few days ago that I answered differently than I'd like to. He asked me "Will you ever stop adding to or updating your systems?"

I had to say that there is no end in sight. I'm very happy with my systems. Much happier than many who have far less (to me) elaborate or listenable systems. But there is always wire or tubes or isolation components to try. Not to mention the constantly shifting Decware upgrade line. Just when you settle down on the best amplification that you have ever known there's a Mk IV or a Mystery Amp or a new speaker.

Sigh. Is it a sickness? I have actually been able to stop at the Torii Mk III and the PS Audio Duo as a front end. These are spectacular products that complement each other and give me great listening pleasure. No need to change those. But the Mk III si so flexible and an owner soon begins to feel he needs to flex and develop all those muscles . . . there might be just one more combination that will bring a huge surprise. . . . Likewise I love my Rega RP3 with its upgrades the ZP3 (funny how there's just one letter between them!)---they work so well together and often give me the best sound I have.

Still . . .there's products like the PS Audio PowerBase. I bought one, stuck it under my Duo and really like what it does. Over time I've come to really like what it does even more. . .and bought one for my Powerplant Premier. . .than my Torii .. . . then . . . .  Well I found a great price source in a gentleman who was downsizing and now I have SEVEN of them. They just do more for the sound than a complete tube roll of the best tubes imaginable. Underneath my RP3 it has been a revelation, freaked me out how amazing it made that sound. And under my Denon DCD-A100 SACD player and DBP-A100 Universal player it has really transformed the sound, making these shockingly good 100th anniversary showpieces. If I could find a way to get my two CSP2+ and ZP3 on one or  two I would, I confess. . . . Sure feels like an illness this need for more, or an addiction.

But I don't want to be cured. And now I turn my attention to my Dad's system, which I actually listen to more, I could mess with that for years.

I bet I'm not alone! Can YOU stop? Smiley

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: We're never done
Reply #1 - 09/12/13 at 12:16:27

I don't need to stop. I have what I need but I remain open to trying new things, such as the redesigned TABOO, which I received last week. Anybody who believes they can't learn anything new is mistaken; we never stop learning. Then that produces curiosity that can lead to desire. I look at it as a sense of exploration.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/12/13 at 13:23:36

Oh I definitely see that. I didn't mean I would want to stop learning or being open to something new. I think I understand all that I need to about amplification and pre-amplificaiion and have ideal products for those ends, and don't need to keep getting on the "Mk NEW" wagon with Decware. I find the biggest improvements now in wire and isolation items, and there's always something new to experience there that globally makes a difference. I think a few of my amp upgrades might have been unnecessary had I known then more about power and isolation and interconnect application. (Then again a few of the products that made the most significant differences then weren't available, we're really living in a golden age of wire quality and power cleansing and regeneration items).

But yes, always something new to explore and discover. BUT I feel that too much focus on the hardware takes a little away from the music itself, so I'm trying to get to a point where I can just make small incremental changes now and then and not shift the musicality of the system itself too drastically. I'm at that point, focusing on a few more power cord locations and a few more interconnect choices as the final yard for a while. But I've not stopped. . . . Though big ticket component items are covered, completely, for two systems.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #3 - 09/12/13 at 14:32:38

Never done....and I now embrace it.

Think about it? The Mystery Amp is within reach....and can run Speakers I am most interested in. You might say: "You have not heard it yet"....well, I know I loathe solid state enough...I just tolerate it for my other Systems.
So, I am not worried about the Mystery Amp not being "Involving"....it will be......with the POWER to run these candidates with the M51 running Balanced IC to the Mystery Amp -or-unbalanced via my Audio Alchemy front End.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/masters-series/M51-Direct-Digital-DAC
http://vonschweikertaudio.com/vr-33/
http://www.vienna-acoustics.com/products/beethoven_baby/beethoven_baby.php
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Magnepan+1.7+for+Sale&id=9C9E6797891B7480003....
HR 1.....in the running too

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/12/13 at 14:51:28

Cool Stone. I know you can have faith in the Mystery Amp, as knowledgeable as you are of Decware and Steve's work. I have found the front ends, amplification and speakers I need, want and enjoy (times two!) and I totally understand why you would desire the right amplification for speakers you love, that's what led me to the Torii as the Decware Monos and Integrated just didn't have enough headroom for my move to a larger room using the speakers I've loved.

For me it's the nuance of cables and isolation products that have me still seeking and desiring. And if I ever do have a place that's mine again and can be set up for dedicated listening I'll explore room treatment.

But honestly a growing part of me wants to stop!  ;)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/13/13 at 11:01:16

I can see by all those jumping on the Torii Mk IV wagon that 'we're not done' is an accurate assessment. Smiley

I suppose had I not gotten one of the very last Mk IIIs with a white chassis I might be interested, but I'm afraid to lose the flexibility of the controls and I've never been a KT66 fan, so I haven't been tempted. (And in my experience it just takes far too long for a new component to best one that has thousands of hours on it. Nothing like a well seasoned Decware component!) I actually like that both of my systems now have the same key major components rather than having two different signatures.

Life is good for us here in Decware's thrall!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/13/13 at 14:19:05

Well said, Lon!

A white plate III is my backup plan if I can't get the scratch to put in my order for a III/IV before the page update.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/13/13 at 14:24:18

I would anticipate a few Mk IIIs coming up for sale in the near future. . . . Wink (Not mine I tell you, though I might feel my Mk II sitting in the closet should be put to use by someone in a year or two if I don't use it at my Dad's (hard sell, won't fit in the cabinet) etc.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/11/13 at 20:42:13

I feel as if I'm close to being done, honest. I have a CSP2+ on the way soon with the Jupiter caps, it will get broken in in my second system and then put into the main system. In time I may do that to my other CSP2+ in this system, and in my ZP3. . . . That would be icing on the cake.

Today I just installed two VooDoo Cable "Evolution" interconnects in place of two Cryoset.com cables. A few weeks ago I snagged an incredible deal, the next line up of VooDoo Cable interconnects, the "Ultralinear," a pair used by VooDoo at an audio show, and at about a quarter of list. Amazing cable that really has added a dynamic dimension. So now I have all VooDoo Cable in the main system and I'm happy. I need one more AC-12 to replace an AC-10 and then all the power cords will be AC-12. It will be a great place to stop and smell the musical roses!

I'm very very happy with my system and my new situation of spending less time with it due to my family responsibilities makes my enjoyment even deeper. I know there are exciting new things from Decware, but I'm enjoying the previous wave of exciting Decware things to the hilt.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 10/11/13 at 21:29:04

I need to  find someone to let me try/borrow a Power Base in my system; you have me really curious about them and what they do for your system.

In the mean time, I need to find a good design for a DIY isolation base for my Oppo BDP-105 and future Mystery amp.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 10/11/13 at 21:40:25

Well my second choice after the Power Base is 4" maple platforms. That's expensive too, but great sound.

I wish this stuff were just snake oil, or perhaps I should say I wish I were more sane, but they really are the "icing" on the cake.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/12/13 at 00:49:17

Quote:
Lonely Raven said,
In the mean time, I need to find a good design for a DIY isolation base for my Oppo BDP-105 and future Mystery amp.

Lonely Raven - have you ever heard of Pro Audio Bono?  They make some very slick amp stands and audio racks out of birch plywood.  I bet somebody who is skilled in woodworking such as yourself should be able to come up with something similar.

I think they are simple and understated (I'm a fan of End-Grain plywood designs as they remind me of some of Charles Eames' molded plywood chairs and furniture from the 40's and 50's).

The brackets may be more intricate, but the basic idea and design elements are pretty cool ... take a look at Pro Audio Bono's website.

I've heard good things on them about them at the Audio Aficionado forums ...

Review on 6moons...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 10/12/13 at 02:50:46

Thanks for that, I'll do some research.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print