Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 19:56:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware pre and solidstate mono's pairing question (Read 4451 times)
Shalamatwazzy
Verified Member

Decware pre and solidstate mono's pairing question
09/12/13 at 10:09:52

How successful would a pairing of a Decware pre amp with my solid state mono blocs, they are Avondale M130's..

besides synergy there's impedance matching to consider too isn't there?

My intention of contemplating this route is to get as much of the Decware SET magic into the M130's which drive my Vandersteens to high levels..

If there are doubts that this will work effectively then I'm into dropping all Avondale amplification and going with using a Decware se341.2+ that's here in England and importing some Omega loudspeakers...whats your thoughts on this folks?

Cheers Matt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware pre and solidstate mono's pairing question
Reply #1 - 09/12/13 at 11:30:05

Matt,

Should be pretty successful. I've used my CSP2 and CSP2+ with several solid state amps with success. Now I have to say that I prefer a tubed integrated alone or with a tubed preamp, i just really never settle into a system with solid state at the amplification stage. In fact I tend to favor a position that is not the most popular one: I've found a solid state preamp into a tubed amp a bit preferable.

You will get a good dollop of the Decware magic sound using one of Steve's preamps into your amp. But just know it's not quite the same as the all tubed Decware system would be. . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/12/13 at 11:39:49

Get the Integrated and the Omegas and don't look back. You'll be using those solid state amps for doorstops soon.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/12/13 at 14:16:02

Like many who used SS all their lives, I took the timid first step into using tubes by getting a good tube preamp.  That gave me better music and the guts to start looking at tube amps.  After hearing the Torii MK III with my speakers all doubt was erased.  

I was quite shocked to learn I wasn't getting good bass despite having 500 watts/ch.  My speakers are so much better than I had thought, and I liked them a lot before this epiphany.  After extensive reading I now attribute restricted bass to my SS amp's high damping factor >600.  I have woofers in sealed enclosures that already control the cone movements effectively.  Over damping is just constricting the bass.  

Hopefully you don't have that issue, but you likely aren't getting the fluid sound of tubes.  That is a matter of taste and only your ears can decide if that is what you want.  Everyone on this site does.

If you really like the Vandees, and I suspect there is more in them also than you know, I would get the Torii MK IV or the Mystery amp.  Taking the slower path like me, get the Decware preamp.  It will move you in the right direction and would not have to be a throw-away move.  Do check the impedance match however.  What is the input impedance of your mono blocks?  If they are 50k or higher you should be ok.  If not I would give Steve a call and get his opinion.  A poor match will result in roll off on the frequency extremes, more noticable with bass.  

Scott

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/16/13 at 18:44:45

In fact I tend to favor a position that is not the most popular one: I've found a solid state preamp into a tubed amp a bit preferable.  -Lon

Me too.  Line stages can add some tube flavor, but tube "sound" comes out much more in electro-mechanical interfaces, like mic pre-amps and tube amps driving speakers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print