Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/19/24 at 12:26:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tom's all Decware system (Read 819 times)
tom collins

Tom's all Decware system
09/02/13 at 01:09:15

part 1, Err speakers, torii 3, phonostage.  Ignore the Einstein stuff, just waiting to be sold.

P1050227_-_Copy.JPG
  IP Logged
tom collins

Tom's all Decware system part 2
Reply #1 - 09/02/13 at 01:15:38

tom's decware system part 2, rack with torii and phonopre.

P1050229_-_Copy.JPG
  IP Logged
tom collins

Tom's all Decware system part 3
Reply #2 - 09/02/13 at 01:16:40

vpi tnt6 hr with upgrades, 100lbs of fun

P1050230_-_Copy.JPG
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Re: Tom's all Decware system
Reply #3 - 09/02/13 at 05:28:27

Real nice Tom. Isn't that Einstein amp like $10,000 and mega watts? And the Torii bested it?

Love when I hear reports like that. I used to think my anniversary McIntosh amps sounded real good until I heard the Torii and it made them sound so slow, muddy and congested that I could not stand listening to them anymore. I know allot is personal preference, but Decware's fast, revealing and transparent sound is where its at for me and has never been duplicated on any other system I have heard regardless of price or mega wattage.

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #4 - 10/16/13 at 12:04:56

The Einsteins were bought for resale, not to keep.  The Torii, while very good at 1/10th of the price does not quite have the impact, control and depth of the Einsteins, but for the kind of money that they cost, you should expect nothing but excellence.  I think Decware's monoblocks would be much, much closer or as good for about 1/3 the price though.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/17/13 at 05:20:19

Wow, somehow I missed this ... this is a great setup - I love that TT and I bet it's an awesome match with the Decware gear.  Your house is cool too, I really dig the stone work! Cool

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #6 - 10/17/13 at 14:00:41

Thanks.  The TT is a beast all right.  I was very lucky to buy it from a local stereo friend when he moved up.  He was very glad that he did not have to try and pack all of that up so it was a win-win.  The cartridges are either a Lyra Delos or Zu 103 (using this one right now - the most under-valued cartridge in the land if your arm will take it) It runs through a custom step-up made from old microphone transformers into the Decware phono pre then directly to the Torii.  The clarity and quiet are really great.  A friend tried his "Warp Speed" optical passive preamp with the system and while it was very, very good, there was just the slightest loss of clarity, so I agree with Steve, no preamp if you can avoid it.
The part of the house you see in the picture is from 1831 although the stonework around the fireplace is not that old, probably the 1920s or so.  It does act as a natural defractor of the sound waves.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/17/13 at 21:06:34

That's intersting that you mentioned the stones be a defractor ... I was just thinking/wondering the same thing that there were no smooth surfaces with the crevices and such.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Zu cartridge for a long time, thanks for the feedback on that. Cool

IP Logged
tom collins

Reply #8 - 10/17/13 at 23:45:07

in regard to the zu.  the first one, i bought used.  after a while, i lost a channel.  i contacted the zu boys and asked if they could take a look at it, they said sure, send it on.  not too long after, a box comes for me from them with a brand new cartridge in it.  i recontacted them and told them that i bought it used, didn't know the hours and asked how much i owed - $0.  now that is some service. the only reservation is that it weighs 14 grams and needs at least a medium mass tonearm to work its best.  i have the sme 4 you see in the pics, so it works fine.  might not work so well with a rega or something like that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print