Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 17:51:51 

Poll
Question: Which Combo Would You Choose and Why?

SE84CKCS + CSP3
SE34I.2 + CSP3

« Created by: beowulf on: 08/31/13 at 04:34:36 »

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which Combo Would You Choose and Why? (Read 504 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Which Combo Would You Choose and Why?
08/31/13 at 04:34:36

Hi all, I was just playing with the Decware shopping cart and notice that some things/combos are pretty close in price and was wondering if money weren't an object ... just curious what combo would you choose and why?

SE84CKCS (Zen Select) with (a) Beeswax Caps, and (b) Stepped Attenuator + CSP3 with (a) Beeswax Caps, and (b) Stepped Attenuator

or

SE34I.32 (Rachel Option 2) with (a) VCAPS, and (b) Stepped Attenuator + CSP3 with (a) Beeswax Caps, and (b) Stepped Attenuator

Thanks!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Which Combo Would You Choose and Why?
Reply #1 - 09/18/13 at 03:36:27

The SE84CKCS is the best at dealing with low impedance speakers or hard to drive speakers with severe dips in the impedance curve. (For example, it could drive 2 ohm speakers with ease).  It can also be configured like the SE34I.3 to drive higher impedance speakers, but the SE34I.3 can not be configured to drive low impedances (below 4 ohms).   So depending on the speaker, I would select the amp with the best chance of driving it to a satisfying volume.

If all else were equal, say an 8 ohm 94dB speaker, both amps configured to drive it, I would shift my attention to the source component and pick an amplifier that best compliments it.  The SE34I.3 is slightly warmer and a bit more forgiving.  The SE84CKCS is the same sound but a bit faster with a touch more inner detail - two things that should be avoided with cheap CD players, whereas the other amp might make a cheap CD player almost listenable.

WWW   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/13 at 20:58:10

Thank you for the feed back Steve!  I have always been torn between the two models and find them both very appealing, but I never could quite decide which I would like to purchase.  However since my speakers have a fairly smooth impedance curve of 8 ohms @ 95dB (Omega single driver crossover-less), I have a feeling the Rachel may be the best fit ... which I have always suspected anyways, but it's nice to hear that from the Maestro himself! Cool

I guess my next question is how does the CSP3+ sound in front of the Rachel - compared to just using the Rachel as the Preamp?

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/19/13 at 04:02:37

User impression here.

I have Rachel directly after the DSD DAC with no preamp.  My system is extremely near field (computer desk) using Hawthorne open baffle 10"s and AMT Heils.  Being a Luddite I have no idea what the combination sums up to for a sensitivity rating.  I like to describe this set up as "headphones with a real soundstage".

Have owned a bunch of amps, all tube, PP and SET, Decware units included.  The Rachel SET amp is far and away the best sounding amplifier I've had to date!

Dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 09/19/13 at 11:56:44

Dennis,

Glad you've fallen in love with Rachel!'

It will only sound better, slowly and surely.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/19/13 at 12:53:06

Thanks Lon!
You are so very right.  Have lots of hours on this amp and it does improve slightly every day.  Can't see any reason to make any changes/upgrades to the amplifier area.

I know you are not in any position to embrace the computer audio scene.  With your CD library you are set for life.  For a number of reasons I'm fully vested in this method of music reproduction.  We both can agree that Mr. Deckert provides us with the means to enjoy our hobby however we choose to implement it.

Dennis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 09/19/13 at 13:18:54

Absolutely!

Computer audio is not for me, but no matter where it comes from the Decware components will make it sing.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/20/13 at 05:36:35

Hi DPC, thanks for the insights and impression of the Rachel.  Well, I know it's going to sound good either way and it's really a no brainer just get the Rachel and then give it some time until I can get a CSP later.  The only thing is price wise I think it's less expensive in the long run to order a Rachel config 2 with a CSP3 than to order a Rachel config 4 (as I need at least 2 inputs) and add a CSP later.

I was wondering if anybody else here runs the Rachel with a CSP in front and what/how it compares to just the Rachel.

I wish I could make it to Decfest as I would love to compare them, but I live way out here in Bonita CA (San Diego County), just a hop skip and a jump from Mexico so that's not just a few hour road trip Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print