Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 20:42:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware SE84A - One Off Custom - Tuned by Steve (Read 6006 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Decware SE84A - One Off Custom - Tuned by Steve
08/29/13 at 20:31:02

So, I'm putting out a feeler. I just had a chat with Steve about how my sound system is progressing, and I'm starting to get the feeling I need to move up the Decware foodchain to the Torii.

This is a feeler as I've been told mixed things about what my original (Serial #65!) might be worth. And it's difficult for me to sell my original Zen amp as it has some sentimental value to me, otherwise I wouldn't have the funds for a Torii anytime soon.

Original Zen Amp - I'm the original owner, I waited in line and received it back in 1998. Due to getting laid off back in 2001, I sold off all my audio gear to stay afloat, *except* for the Zen amp. It's pretty much been shelved since then, only coming out once or twice to try out some speakers that I built for friends or other projects I needed a decent amp for.

Fast Forward to this year, I happen to work in Peoria two days a week, so I asked if Steve could "tune up" my amp and dropped it off with him. A few weeks later I came back to pick it up (along with a pair of MG944 speakers!). I think Steve took this as a personal challenge, he said "I put as much in this as I could from all we've learned in the past 15 years of building this". Basically, it's a one-off Zen amp at this point, voiced by Steve till he was happy with it. The original Zen amps have a more elaborate power supply, so that wasn't touched, and it has some green caps in it that Steve said "don't change those out!" Steve said "this amp is the best it can be" and we were both very happy with it after many hours of playing though it.

Original 15 year old Zen amp, one-off voiced by Steve, new tubes and looked over/tuned up by Steve - ready to play!

I'm unsure of what to ask for the amp - I'm only selling it to get into a Torii - so I'm hoping someone who really appreciates the Decware sound will want it. Hit me up with your offers - if it doesn't sell soon, I'll probably just keep it.  :P

I'll update this thread with photos when I get home - I just wanted to post this now while my discussion with Steve is fresh in my head  (and so I don't change my mind!) Steve said he's happy to answer any questions on this one of a kind amp, but I didn't want to bother him unless it's totally necessary.

Feel free to E-mail me at LonelyRaven@hotmail.com - If you're in the Chicagoland area, I'd be happy to have you over for a listen!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Decware SE84A - One Off Custom - Tuned by Steve
Reply #1 - 08/29/13 at 21:08:58

Wow, I had amp #27 til earlier this year though to be honest it spent the last ten years or so in the hands of a friend. I bought a Select and put this on a shelf and then he wanted to borrow it. . .and for love or money I couldn't get it back! It's an amazing amp, I sent it back for Rev. A. but when it got around to Rev. C I had asked Steve if it could be updated to that and he said it made more sense to get a Select, and I did.

My friend had if forever and he finally saved enough and ordered himself a Taboo. Which he has and says. . . the Rev. A is a better amp (in his opinion). I think he is more used to the Rev. A, and it's certainly deeply seasoned! Anyway he very reluctantly handed it back to me just before I  moved. . . and I handed it back to him and said keep it and keep using it.

That #27 brought me into the world of Decware and I can't get out of that world, I keep surrounding myself within it. I now have two Decware systems of high quality and high enjoyment factors. And even have a C amp and a ZStage in my Dad's system.  I could never have predicted that when I first had that little #27 in my system and first discovered the window into the music that a Decware amp provides. I know how hard it may be to part with that amp. . .but I also know you'll LOVE a Torii!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #2 - 08/29/13 at 21:31:23

Yeah, I've been following your posts for a long time. Somewhere there is a link around here to the original forum, and you can see my original posts back in '98, and stupid newbie questions (and bad spelling, pre-spellcheck built into the browser LOL).

I really don't want to part with this amp, I just don't have the funds to afford a Torii. The sale of this amp, plus what I have set aside for a Birthday present for myself would probably get me 1/3 of the way to a Torii, and that's a start!

I'm tempted to start rooting through my guitar gear and see what I could put up for sale. I have some rare (modern) pedals I could sell on TGP pretty easily, but again, not stuff I want to part with...

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 08/29/13 at 21:52:27

i totally understand. I have tons of guitar and stereo gear I don't want to part with. In a lot of cases it's not rational to not want to part with it, and even moving across the country I couldn't part with it but. . . a rational life isn't the most fun!

This is as you say a unique and exceptional amp. Best of luck getting a Torii!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4 - 08/29/13 at 22:20:05

Thanks Lon!

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5 - 09/04/13 at 17:43:13

I received a few questions, but no serious offers yet.

Still available.

I've not had time to take photos as I took several days off. I'll remedy that tonight.

~Eric~

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 09/17/13 at 15:40:16

Last Bump before I just decide to keep it!

I might try eBay, but I really hate using eBay...I'd much rather keep it in the family.

Hit me up with your offers!!

Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/17/13 at 19:12:13

You won't get anything for it on ebay. I thought they originally sold for around $475? At this point you might as well keep it.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print