Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 14:26:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MKIII - tube rolling (Read 5538 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Torii MKIII - tube rolling
08/06/13 at 18:08:21

OK... now that I finally have my Torii hitched to the speakers I intended to use it with all along... and have listened to the combo for awhile and developed a "sense" of how it sounds - its "sonic personality" if you will.

I'm anxious to hear from you experienced rollers out there.  Tell me what tubes you've tried, what tubes you like with your Torii, and share with me, verbalize if you can, what sonic differences you perceive your fav tubes have compared to the stock tubes Steve puts in the Torii.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Re: Torii MKIII - tube rolling
Reply #1 - 08/08/13 at 17:33:28

seriously... nobody has anything to say on this subject?  perhaps I'm in the wrong place?  Please direct me if I am.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/08/13 at 18:01:44

maddog,

I don't have time to find these threads right now, but if yo look around or do creative searches, there are a lot of tube conversations in the MkIII area, some with names you might not be drawn to for tubes...like a splash of seduction. Seems like there are talks about 6CA7's, VRs, rectifiers and other EL34s...the lot...just have to look around to get the entire story since the rambles sometimes tend to shift mid topic toward tubes or whatever. The SE34.3 is also EL34 based and has some tube talk.

Hope this helps...

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #3 - 08/08/13 at 18:10:58

thanks "will"... I was being lazy and I don't seem to have much luck with searches on this forum and finding what I'm looking for.  On top of that... I assume there is new info to be gleaned on this subject quite often...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/08/13 at 19:23:24

Seems there are times when new discussions come up on tubes... I was waiting to respond to this with the assumption that there may be new input. Hopefully that will happen.

But then, if you glance through the Torii MkIII topics (several pages), you will find a lot has been discussed relatively in depth.

Not in the Torii threads, but since the new SE34 uses three of the same tubes, could be worth looking here. There is a good general conversation, and I did a sort of comparative review of EL34s I have tried: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1363700869

Hopefully of some use.

Some of the more expensive EL34 types have been discussed by others in Torii threads...Shuguangs seem to have run into some reliability issues in the Torii if I recall correctly...may be the sources and how hard they checked out/tested the tubes...don't know. Seems like PaleRyder has explored Treasures and Psvanes and compared them to JJ6CA7s....

Also, don't overlook the less expensive alternatives. Like Rectifiers and the big VRs really can make a big difference in refining the sound. And 7DJ8s sound really good to me and can be a really good buy for inputs still, though less so as they get sold out.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 08/09/13 at 01:47:18

Hey, checking in while visiting my old home town of Austin briefly. I would recommend the JJ 6CA7 output tubes, though you can run into a dud or two, they are the most amazing output tubes I've used in the III. I also haven't found any input tube the works for ME better than the super-cryo'd 6N1Ps from www.cryoset.com --- but most people seem to prefer 6922 /6DJ8 /7DJ8 which yield more power from the amp. And personally after years of experience in all my Decware amps I trust and use RCA rectifiers and voltage regulator tubes, I just prefer their sound and have always been impressed with their reliability. Over time I've learned to prefer the oldest ones I've found and used.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print