Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/06/24 at 21:07:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP 3+  Speakers with Taboo MK III (Read 9640 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

CSP 3+  Speakers with Taboo MK III
08/06/13 at 17:24:02

I was wondering, has anyone gotten a new CSP+2 with the new black steel top like the New Taboo I recently bought?  If so are there any changes internally. Does anyone know if changes are planned soon?

What would be the advantages of adding a CSP 2+ to my Taboo MK III.  Input from those with this combo would be appreciated.  I'm trying to decide whether I need to order one before the price increases.

On another topic...I'm still trying to figure out using speakers with this amazing Taboo MK III.  What are other owners using?  I've ordered a pair of Zu Audio Souls (Sens..99 dB, 8 ohm) to start my search for a good match for a reasonable cost (2500 or less would be perfect).

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
thegrobe
Verified Member

Re: CSP 3+  Speakers with Taboo MK III
Reply #1 - 08/07/13 at 05:45:56

I would like to hear more opinions on this as well. I am using the mk III for strictly headphone use right now (LCD-3) and love it.  But I would like to hear more about adding the pre-amp.

Being able to drive speakers better is a nice plus, but not primary reasoning. I would also like to decide on this before any price increase!

I tried my solid state pre-amp w/ the Taboo and it was ah, blah, lost the magic. So the only pre I would consider is Decware.

Jriver MC > Audiophilleo 2+PurePower > Audio-GD SA-2 DAC > Decware Zen Triode CSP3 > Decware Zen Taboo mkIII > Norse Audio Skuld 8 > HD800 (also: DH Labs Silver Revelation / SoundSilver Interconnects...And a few fistfulls of tubes!)
  IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/10/13 at 00:34:56

Hi Mark58,

Quote:
I was wondering, has anyone gotten a new CSP+2 with the new black steel top like the New Taboo I recently bought?  If so are there any changes internally. Does anyone know if changes are planned soon?

I don't have my CSP3 yet (I have the current CSP2+ white). I spoke to Steve 2 days ago about my CSP3 and he advised me that there will be no internal changes. The headphone jacks and input selector will be moved forward. It will sound much better, particularly if you order the beeswax caps.

Quote:
What would be the advantages of adding a CSP 2+ to my Taboo MK III.  Input from those with this combo would be appreciated.  I'm trying to decide whether I need to order one before the price increases.

If you search through the various sub forums on this site you will find that just about everyone agrees that adding the CSP2+ (or very soon CSP3) significantly improves the sound of the Taboo III. You will get more weight to the sound and more control as well.

Quote:
On another topic...I'm still trying to figure out using speakers with this amazing Taboo MK III.  What are other owners using?  I've ordered a pair of Zu Audio Souls (Sens..99 dB, 8 ohm) to start my search for a good match for a reasonable cost (2500 or less would be perfect).

I've never heard the Zu Audio Souls. I use Omega 3Es which are 94.5db @ 8 ohms. I listen desktop-nearfield. I've never seen my Taboo III meters budge even when playing well above 90db (which is not very often). According to Steve, in addition to telling you the condition of your tubes, the meters also shown you when you are near maximum output of 4.5 watts or clipping: when the meters start to dance around you are getting close to max output; when they drop, like a rock, to 0 you are clipping the amp.

Unless you listen at a distance and loudly, you should have no problem powering your Zu speakers to adequate (safe hearing) levels. The Taboo III is a first class speaker amp IMHO.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #3 - 08/11/13 at 04:45:59

I love the CSP2+/Taboo MK III combo with my DM945's. There is more weight and control with them together than with the Taboo alone. I was sold on the combo when I visited Decware in March. I am enjoying them in all their holographic glory now, in fact!  :)

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/13/13 at 10:01:16

I wonder what a CSP3 might do for my Rachel straight amp. I am for now planning on running a Vega DAC direct via SE cables or through my zodiac DAC via balanced then SE (zodiac has analog volume).

I could sell the Zodiac and get a quality pre and headamp with CSP3. I have HE500 here that my neighbor is selling but don't think they are best match for CSP3. I could just go with other phones.

I run Zu Union Cubes with clarity cap upgrade and with the decware Rachel el34.1 (vcaps) , it's quite stunning.

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #5 - 10/13/13 at 14:09:05

I had great success with the CSP2+ and Sennheiser headphones. Specifically the HD650's and HD800's. They were a great match. Plus the CSP2+ and the Taboo MK III are a wonderful combo for efficient speakers like the DM945's.

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/13/13 at 16:31:06

I'd forgotten about this thread that I started over two months ago....I was a different person then.  I can't even imagine considering "Reasonable Cost"....since then I  received the Zu Audio "Soul" speakers that are sitting in my living room waiting to be hooked up.  I have also purchased and hooked up a CSP3, ZP3, Rega RP6 TT, RSA Haley power conditioner and other assorted do dads. I also have ordered a pair of HR-1s and a Torii MK IV.  That person  talking about "Reasonable Cost" is long gone....hehe.  I have joined the ranks of Loyal Decware Addicts awaiting my next Fix!  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 10/13/13 at 16:37:42

Mark,

We'll send you a video with the secret handshake to learn soon!

I feel your pain. But want to say. . .welcome to the club!

We're both waiting on HR-1s! (Although in my case, my second pair. Reasonable cost?  How could two pairs of HR-1 be a part of any "reasonable cost" scheme!?)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 10/13/13 at 17:50:52

Quote:
I'd forgotten about this thread that I started over two months ago....I was a different person then.  I can't even imagine considering "Reasonable Cost"....since then I  received the Zu Audio "Soul" speakers that are sitting in my living room waiting to be hooked up.  I have also purchased and hooked up a CSP3, ZP3, Rega RP6 TT, RSA Haley power conditioner and other assorted do dads. I also have ordered a pair of HR-1s and a Torii MK IV.  That person  talking about "Reasonable Cost" is long gone....hehe.  I have joined the ranks of Loyal Decware Addicts awaiting my next Fix!  Mark.

Wow! I suddenly feel audiophile inadequacy  ;D

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 10/14/13 at 17:14:39

LR, we have Mystery Amps ringing in our New Year.....(mid January I hope).  So, the glass is half full!  I ordered the MA last Monday.

November of 2011...I got the Torii MkIII...now, I regret selling it, because I would already have it in for the IV upgrade.

November of 2012...I got the Super Zen CKC and Zen Styx with Silver Banana Plugs, before the price increase on both....neither to ever be sold.

May of 2001...bought my SE84CS....12+ years of enjoyment...never to be sold.

I plan to swing a purchase of a Torii IV next fall as well. We will catch up! Cool
-S

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 10/14/13 at 18:30:50

Well, you might catch up...I'm a po-boy - I'm selling everything not nailed down to afford the Mystery amp.

I'd seriously consider the Super Zen though...my modified 84A is 80% of the Super Zen, but it might be worth a few hundred more to get that last 20% as my office/computer sound system.

Beyond that, I'm pretty well done after the Mystery amp. I'm hoping I don't start jonsing for better speakers after the Mystery amp as I don't see that happening anytime soon. My (future) paychecks are going to to room treatment and music!

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/14/13 at 18:50:09

In regards to the Mystery Amp, I have decided to limit my purchases to those that this old fart can lift by himself, thus, according to Steve, this rules out the Mystery Amp...hehe.  But seriously, there are so many here with the Torii/HR-1 combo that are in Sonic Heaven that I think this is all the Amp I need.  Also, I got off the format train before computer/high rez so my sources will always be a Turntable and a tubed (redbook) CD player.  As I understand it, the Mystery Amp is wasted on such sources unless you have inefficient speakers. Mark.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/14/13 at 21:29:28

Quote:
mark58 said,
there are so many here with the Torii/HR-1 combo that are in Sonic Heaven that I think this is all the Amp I need.

Another good combo would be the Rachel and HR-1 ... according to my inquiries with Zygi, this is his favorite amp and speaker pairing/match.

Either way I doubt you could go wrong... Cool

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #13 - 10/14/13 at 21:31:24

Quote:
Another good combo would be the Rachel and HR-1 ... according to my inquiries with Zygi, this is his favorite amp and speaker pairing/match.

Yeah, except I think I talked him into ordering a Mystery amp as well after we sat down and listened together. He said I confirmed what he was hearing/thinking and now has to order one.   I'm great at helping spend other peoples money.  ;D

beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/14/13 at 22:05:05

Quote:
LR said,
Yeah, except I think I talked him into ordering a Mystery amp as well after we sat down and listened together. He said I confirmed what he was hearing/thinking and now has to order one.   I'm great at helping spend other peoples money. Grin

Well ... interesting times at Decware that's for sure and I can't wait to hear about the pairing up of two of Steve's and Zygi's reference pieces of equipment! Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print