Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:56:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amp suggestion (Read 7951 times)
pann56

Amp suggestion
07/19/13 at 01:17:16

I own a Dodd Tube buffer which has been boxed up in my attic . I just can't part with it and was just wondering what amp would pair well with this. I have a pair of Omega super 6 Alnico speakers (93 db). I listen to mostly classic rock  and jazz at not too loud levels. I am currently using a zenhead headphone amp with a dragonfly . While this sounds great with my headphones I am hoping to build a system again in the near future.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Amp suggestion
Reply #1 - 07/19/13 at 03:27:05

I guess the safe bet would be an Integrated (a favorite of mine, great for jazz) or the Mini-Torii (oddly I've always been uninterested in that amp but it's very popular). Should have enough power. One of the smaller powered amps may work and if it does, more money to spend on recordings and possibly even a touch more "majic" sound. Steve would be your best source for help making a choice.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
pann56

Reply #2 - 07/26/13 at 12:43:00

another question for someone..... would the Taboo MK III work well with Omega Super 6 Alnico speakers   (93 db  8 ohm ).   i was thinking it could perform double duty running these speakers and my assorted headphones (Beyerdynamic  600 ohm. AKG 701 , Hifiman 400, and Grado80 SI ) using my Dragonfly DAC ??

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/26/13 at 15:35:06

I think it should work very well.

Lin
Past and present owner of various Omega speakers and EL84 set and sep amps.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #4 - 07/26/13 at 16:01:10

I can definitely say an SE34I would pair wonderfully well.
You couldn't go wrong with any of the above. Synergy is everything.
don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
pann56

Reply #5 - 07/26/13 at 16:12:15

The SE 34i  looks nice also.  I was just looking at the Taboo because of the headphone availability with all my headphones. Once i add all the options to the SE 34 the costs are about the same.  I just wanted to make sure the Taboo could power my speakers.  I dont listen at ear splitting levels.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print