Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 16:39:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions for long speaker cables (Read 4027 times)
erimille

Suggestions for long speaker cables
07/03/13 at 21:00:55

For the past several years I've been very much enjoying my audio set-up (which includes some older, but still quite excellent Decware gear.... Zen, CSP, Z3 phono, 1.5 radials). Recently I've had to move my gear to a different location that now requires me to place my speakers much farther away from my amp than before.

Like about 20' farther.

The new room is quite different than the old in terms of acoustics, and while I'm treating it best I can, the options are limiting. I'm currently running a quick set of 25' 'white lightning' cables simply to get back to spinning, but the sound is *far* more muddied than before.

I'm curious if anyone has had much experience running long cables with Decware gear. Any suggestions on a relatively long run of cables that won't break the bank?

To put this in a bit of perspective.... While I'm sure Decware's Styx are quite excellent (if they're anything like the rest of the gear I own), I'd consider a 25' run to be 'breaking the bank'.

thanks in advance,

--eric

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Suggestions for long speaker cables
Reply #1 - 07/03/13 at 21:28:21

I was listening to a neighbor's system briefly last week (pretty decent, heart of it was a vintage Marantz solid state preamp and amp and speakers) and he had some Neotech NES 3005 Speaker Cable that he got from Take Five Audio in Canada for about 10 dollars a foot, and he felt it really changed his system sound for the better, may be worth looking in to. I thought it sounded pretty good. He had Neotech interconnects and power cords too.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 07/04/13 at 06:40:55

Not sure if you are into the the DIY thing, but I am currently building my own set of speaker cables with the DH Labs T-14 bulk cable.  The cost is 9 bucks a foot minus the spades or bananna plugs.  Here is the site....

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/T14.html

Once they are built, I will test them out and report back.  As long as you know how to solder, you are good to go.  

My second go round will be to upgrade to their Q-10 speaker cables, which jumps significantly to $35 a foot.  Here is the web page for that.......

http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/Q10.html

These should be significantly better.  Since I just bought a new higher watt soldering station, I figured I would start off cheaper to compensate for the learning curve of using new equipment.  

Just some food for thought.

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
erimille

Reply #3 - 07/11/13 at 21:01:46

Thanks all for the (both public and private) suggestions.  I went with a quick, inexpensive and easy DIY solution using 12 ga zip cord [1], flex wrap [2] heat shrink and GLS audio expandable banana plugs (which i bought in bulk years ago when I was experimenting with different DIY cables.)

All in all, about +40$ ... which will be a temporary solution until i can figure out how best to deal with the acoustics in the room (24 x 20' with a wall of glass on one side).

Overall, i'm very happy with what i'm hearing from these all things considered. Not nearly as nice as my MAC silvers, but considerably better than the (overly bass) white lightning cables that were a stop gap.

I'm still curious about other experiences folks have with Decware gear and long cables, so keep these coming!

But, for now at least, i can get my vinyl back on Wink  

--e

[1] http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-FT-12-AWG-GAUGE-ZIP-WIRE-RED-BLACK-STRANDED-COPPER-PO...

[2] http://www.ebay.com/itm/360377425936?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m143...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print