Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 10:26:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confusion regarding rectifier tube (Read 16737 times)
Maritan
Verified Member

Confusion regarding rectifier tube
07/02/13 at 19:51:17

Hello all,

I managed to snag a very lightly used ZP3 a while back and I'm enjoying it a lot. I've been lurking a fair bit just trying to absorb all the information I can. I'm finally coming to the point where I want to start rolling some tubes and see if I can perceive any changes to the sound. While I was gathering information, I've come across something that's given me pause.

In the ZP3's owner's manual and under specifications on the ZP3 page, only 5Y3GT tubes have been called out. But, in the written section under tubes on the ZP3's page, I read this:

Quote:
The signal tubes are 12AX7 and the buffer is a 12AU7 all supported by the 5U4 rectifier and OA3 voltage regulator tube.  All included.

So, can the 5U4 be used instead of a 5Y3GT? How about a 5U4G?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: Confusion regarding rectifier tube
Reply #1 - 07/02/13 at 20:41:24

Hi maritan, welcome and great buy !
 the ZP3 will support the 5U4&G,5Y3GT and 5R4GY, and I think the GZ34. Currently I have the Phillips 5R4GY in and it has a very full sound. I also have a GE 5U4 and an RCA 5R4GY which sound vg.

Then there`s the 54U and the 274b which I haven`t tried. So a variety of makes and models.
nos 12AU7`s are worth investing in, teles, brimars, and mullards sound great and needn`t be expensive.
I haven't tried many pairs of 12AX7`s yet. The Sylvania x3micas were good enough, though for the past few weeks I`ve had a pair of Webcor D getters,( 50`s, ) in and am enjoying them very much.

lol Webcors. I never buy stuff through word association ever but being a Captain Beefheart nut when I came across the Webcors I recalled the Beefheart track that ends with `webcor, webcor`and had to have them. Bit of a bargain. So thanks Capt (Don) and we still miss you loads.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/02/13 at 23:35:55

As marky has said, 5U4G tubes can be used. I prefer the 5Y3GT tube type in the ZP3--it seems most neutral and accurate to me, but that's just ME. Experiment and enjoy, it's a great phono preamp, really a delight to listen to.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/03/13 at 00:39:33

To my ears, 5Y3GT's or the older "bottle" 5Y3G's sound more natural than the 5U4G's.    Steve told me he voiced the ZP3 using 5Y3GT's.

I prefer the 5Y3G's over the 5Y3GT's, by a slight margin.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Maritan
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/03/13 at 06:05:23

Thanks all for your input. The ZP3 is indeed a brilliant phono stage especially since I'm using a Denon DL-110 HOMC cart that suggests a load of 47k. I do plan on making a parallel resistive loader to change the loading and listen to how the sound changes.

I didn't realize the ZP3 was quite this flexible with the rectifier tubes.

Marky - I actually have a pair of Tele 12AX7s and a Mullard 12AU7 ready to go in there. I will get around to it this long weekend. Too hot where I live to go do anything outdoors anyway. I'm very new to the tube thing, so I'd never heard of webcors. Got a chuckle out of your story, though.

And based on tgarden and Lon's input, I think I will stay with the 5Y3G(T) rectifiers. Don't have one to roll in, but I'll start looking for one.

Thanks for the inputs, all of you.

IP Logged
Maritan
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/03/13 at 16:01:53

By the way, any recommendations for the brand on the 5Y3G(T)s?

I'm also going to look around for some of marky's recommended tubes. Tube rolling is going to be a lot of fun!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/03/13 at 16:44:56

Over the years, I've become fixated on RCA rectifier and regulator tubes, for some reason they seem to be very dependable and long-living, and I really like their general tonal balance tendencies. The older, the better.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/03/13 at 17:11:06

I second Lon's recommendation to use RCA 5Y3GT's (or G's).

As he just said, the older the better.

If possible, try to find a tube that has been tested, so it shows the strength of both sections.  While not crucial, it is better if both sections are a close (or somewhat close) match.

Don't be afraid to purchase on ebay, as long as the seller tests the tube (with a GOOD tester), and accepts returns.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/03/13 at 18:05:02

There`s a nice looking Mazda 5Y3GT on e-bay
I could go for but the postage to here is well over
the price of the tube . Good price though. The
seller really rates it.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Maritan
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 07/03/13 at 19:11:50

I have to be honest, I didn't realize this forum was this active. Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Instead of buying on eBay, I'm going to support my local store: Antique Electronics Supply.

They've been great with tubes I've bought so far. I had a SED 6550C fail just outside their 90 day warranty and they replaced it without any questions. Their prices are also very competitive with pretty much any online store I've seen.

Anyway, I called and they have RCA 5Y3GTs available. I'm going to buy two ($21 per), just to keep one as a spare. I mentioned that I would like to buy the two oldest possible, and right now it seems they found a 1956 and a 1960. I'm not sure if that's old enough or if there is a specific range of years that I should look for? Any additional input would be great.

My ZP3 will be singing tonight!

(PS: I also ordered a Valve Art 274B - at only $12, I figured I can experiment with that too. It's no Western Electric, but I ain't spending >$300 something for a tube. Yet.)

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/03/13 at 20:09:54

1956 and 1960 should be old enough for RCA 5Y3GT's.  Production quality for RCA started down in the 1960's.

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 07/03/13 at 20:14:47

I agree with Mike. Good score, and good store: I've dealt with them via the internet and never had a complaint.

The Valve Art 274B and the Western Electric are really two different animals; the Valve Art is very similar electrically to a 5U4G and the Western Electric less so.

IP Logged
ryan
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/24/13 at 22:01:58

Can a 5z4g be used?  I am thinking of the Brimar 5z4g.

Thanks
Ryan

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #13 - 12/29/13 at 01:05:27

Just received my zp3 From Decware It has the valve art 274b which does seem to be a little base heavy I have just started break, in saw the posts on this subject and saw you were from the seattle area. I am from federal way and thought with that being the case I could learn from you

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print