Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:48:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can over driving a tube amp damage speakers? (Read 8890 times)
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Can over driving a tube amp damage speakers?
06/17/13 at 15:12:40

I just ordered the Zen Torii MK3 (excited) and I have tested this amp (using a friends) with my speakers which are only medium efficiency.  The output is totally acceptable for me within the listening ranges that I do.  We found that going higher than I need to will start to strain the amp.

Another friend that I chat with suggested that I should be careful to not damage the speakers with clipping and maybe I should have aimed at a higher output amp.  I have read that clipping with solid stage is worse for a speaker than over driving tubes.  Can clipping with tubes harm speakers?  Is even approaching the clipping point a bad practice with tube amps?  I don't intent to push my new Decware amp hard enough to send distortion to my speakers, but I'm trying to learn a little here.  

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: Can over driving a tube amp damage speakers?
Reply #1 - 06/19/13 at 01:48:11

I've never heard of such a concern here. I think you will not have any trouble.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/12/13 at 05:53:24

jsm71,

I agree with Riviearanch. You didn't mention your speakers sensitivity rating, but I'm guessing somewhere in the mid to high 80's. The Torii III puts out a strong 25 watt per channel and should present no problems clipping wise since you have already tested it and found it's output sufficient.

You might want to read this White Paper by Steve "Understanding Usable Power":
https://www.decware.com/newsite/paper110.htm

It should answer your question in more detail. Enjoy your new Torii III.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/13 at 14:07:38

Thanks for the reassurances.  Since I put in my order I have had plenty of time to read pretty much every white paper on the site.   Smiley

My speakers are JansZen zA2.1 hybrid ESLs.  Their sensitivity is 87db, but they are quite easy to drive, just not to extreme volumes.

Decware ZMA, Cary SLP-98P preamp, JansZen zA2.1 speakers with JansZen speaker cables, Marantz TT 15S1 turntable, Lyra Delos MC with Bobs Devices SUT, Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player, Morrow level 4 ICs, Decware and Shunyata PCs.
  IP Logged
Rizlaw
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/12/13 at 15:24:53

Interesting. My very first audiophile speakers were JansZen Z-400s (electrostatic mid/tweeter and cone woofer as I recall), back in the 1960s.

Schiit Yggdrasil/ZBIT / Zen Switch Box / CSP3 / Taboo III UFO/ Omega SAMs
  IP Logged
jsm71
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/13/13 at 03:33:01

I've really enjoyed these speakers.  I was kind of happy to see Steve relate a nice listening story about them on page 7 of his thread regarding his new Mystery speakers.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1365130519/90#90

Positive Feedback Online just also did a nice review if you're interested.

http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68/janszen.htm

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print