Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/04/24 at 14:06:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FS: Planet 10 HiFi mFonken Book Shelf Speakers (Read 3491 times)
ptime
Verified Member

FS: Planet 10 HiFi mFonken Book Shelf Speakers
06/01/13 at 05:43:44

A very nice custom hand-made pair bookshelf/desktop speakers by Planet10 Hifi.

Single driver using treated Fostex drivers FE126N2.
Aperiodic enclosure.
Color is a beautiful dark mahogany and drivers are treated black.
Measures 6.5X6.5X12 inches.
Black magnetic covers.

Perfect for listening on desktop with the Zen amp (what I did).  That was probably overkill.  Great for office or small room, or even paired with a sub for a main system.  They sound pretty big for the size.  To give you an idea, guys at Planet 10 tell me they rival/surpass the LS3/5A.  To me, they sound somewhat similar to hornshoppe's (which uses the same driver FE126) that I've also owned.  Obviously horn enclosures have a 'unique' sound to them, as does aperiodic enclosures.  If you ask me, the former plays a bit louder and boomier, while the later plays more controlled and flatter.  In any case they sound great with the 84C-versions and I bet any Decware amp would make these sing.

The drivers alone cost $220 at Planet 10, then I had to pay for a custom veneer and wait weeks.  Think I shelled out about a grand for it, coming from Canada and all (shipping, customs, exchange rate, etc...).  Well worth it IMO, as these are the best speakers I've heard for it's size and price (<$1K).  These really are classic keepers, but I'm not doing them justice.  If interested, please make me an offer.

I should mention I don't use paypal.  Postal MO only, or local pickup (Bay Area, CA).  Thanks for checking out my listing.

DSC00008.JPG
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: FS: Planet 10 HiFi mFonken Book Shelf Speakers
Reply #1 - 06/01/13 at 15:07:47

I've heard this design many times at Dave's (P-10) they will surprise a lot of people!
Good Luck with your sale.
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
ptime
Verified Member

Re: FS: Planet 10 HiFi mFonken Book Shelf Speakers
Reply #2 - 08/26/13 at 02:10:46

these are sold!

yes doorman, and they rock with decware gear, as i've told the new owner.  hopefully he'll come check this place out if he hasn't already.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print