Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/05/24 at 16:27:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Low power amps and Magnepan (Read 4375 times)
Johnaki
Verified Member

Low power amps and Magnepan
05/26/13 at 12:43:43

Hi all,

New to the forum and new to tube amps.  I will be setting up a very small (11x9) dedicated listening room.  I've been into stereo for many years and this will be the first time I will have a room entirely for listening.  I've never owned planar speakers and never owned tubes.

Since I've retired and started researching for the new room, I'm convinced that planar speakers driven by tubes is what I want.  My listening sessions at many different stereo shops have lead me to this conclusion.

My listening is basically folk, singer-songwriter and classical.  I never listen at high volumes, even when I occasionally listen to rock.

From everything I've read, it would seem that a low powered triode amp would fit my needs.  However, my favorite speakers are Magnepans and they are not efficient.

Has anyone had experience with driving Magnepans with a 4-6 watt tube amp?  It would be great to get some input.

Thanks in advance,

John

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Low power amps and Magnepan
Reply #1 - 05/26/13 at 13:21:28

Short answer:  Yes!

A few years ago I used the SMG's with the smallest Decware SET offering.
The combination sounded excellent to me.  The experience was enhanced with bass blockers on the SMG's and a separate plate amp and a sub-woofer.

Dennis

IP Logged
Johnaki
Verified Member

Re: Low power amps and Magnepan
Reply #2 - 05/26/13 at 13:37:26

Because of my small room, I'm looking at, and listening to, the MMG's, MG-12's and the new Mini-Maggie system.  All would be paired with the DWM bass panel.  I have no desire for booming bass, but I do like the detailed bass that the Magnepans put out.

I'd like to use either the Zen Triode Integrated or the Mini TORII.  I'm not versed enough about these type amps to ask very intelligent questions, so, any comments would be much appreciated.

John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print